My thoughts after completing Alpha Protocol

The RPG elements in AP are far stronger than ME1 or 2, and the quest structure is also more advanced with a lot more options and outcomes.

That's good to hear.

Like I already said in the original post, I have yet to encounter anything serious. This is as smooth as it gets from a technical point of view.

I'm playing on Win 7 64 bit, so I know little about the console versions.

Haven't got the game, but I was talking with my son who's playing it on a 360 and he said he'd had no issues with bugs.

Jeez, it's like some of the published batches are the release version and some are a beta test version.

I had no serious issues either.

My complaints have more to do with design "oversights" - like the awful checkpoint save system. For instance, the very first real mission you go on - you'll be sitting in a crouched position behind cover, but the checkpoint save ignores your crouched position, so if you reload at that checkpoint, you'll be standing up and the guards will be immediately alerted - because zero progress is saved and all guards will be at their original locations.

Stuff like that, but it's rarely a big issue.

But, in an overall sense - it's very stable and playable, as long as you enjoy the game for what it is.

I'm sad that the boss fight I mentioned ruined the experience for me, but I suspect most people are so used to boss fights, they won't really mind how out of context with the game it is.

Bought it last night. Was really pshyched. Ended up a little dissapointed because of a bug.

My first impression was that something with the camera was really wrong. There is a lot of lagging or stuttering as some people describe it. When i move the mouse the camera jumps and skips, making it impossible to play. I've tried a whole bunch of different graphical settings and an unofficial .ini-tweak that I found on Obsidians forums. That made it a little better but still really really annoying. Several other posters have reported this problem so I'm not an anomaly. I think I'll wait for a patch so that this little bug doesn't ruin the experience for me.

Ouch, that sucks. My camera was fine once I turned up the sensitivity to about 3/4.

I think it's a very good system, and after some initial frustration - I feel it's just right in terms of difficulty and context. The mouse control for the right side was a mistake, but I think it's relatively minor.

Once you put a few points in Sabotage, even the hacking minigame is not too bad, but the controls could've been better. I agree with Dhruin on this one - the left side (keyboard) feels somewhat slow, the right side (mouse) feels inaccurate.

Still, not a major problem - if you struggle with some very hard hacks, you can always use EMPs to get past them (if you have a single point in Sabotage).

I can't remember the exact number of points you need to get the various improvements, but I do know the basic one is already at 2 points, so 1 + 2 will give you the ability to EMP unlock minigames + make it easier to do most minigames. Later on you get more improvements, but I've never tried those, I just grab 2 points early on and then leave it at that.

My first impression was that something with the camera was really wrong. There is a lot of lagging or stuttering as some people describe it. When i move the mouse the camera jumps and skips, making it impossible to play. I've tried a whole bunch of different graphical settings and an unofficial .ini-tweak that I found on Obsidians forums. That made it a little better but still really really annoying. Several other posters have reported this problem so I'm not an anomaly. I think I'll wait for a patch so that this little bug doesn't ruin the experience for me.

I've experienced it as well, and my system far exceeds the requirements for AP.

I also experienced the bug where there was no text next to the dialogue circles, preventing me from seeing the choices. It turned out to be a glitch with antialiasing and ATI cards.

To be perfectly honest though, the bugs don't really make a difference, this game just doesn't do it for me.

Posted my thoughts on game in one of the news thread without noticing this one, so here´s the repost for posterity and such :).

"I just finished the game with a tech/stealth/pistol character (normal difficulty) with only 19 enemies killed - and all those were killed because I was sleepy and ran through one mission mistakenly using normal bullets instead of tranquilizers.

It´s not only possible to achieve a completely non-lethal game, the game also quite often rewards player for non-lethal approach.
I really enjoyed playing my merciful stealthy dude and felt the game supported this kind of playstyle more than enough.

I´ve to say, as a whole package Alpha Protocol left me very positively impressed.
It hasn´t level design of Deus Ex quality, stealth gameplay of Thief quality and production values of Mass Effect 2, sure, it´s actually mostly mediocre in these aspects.

On the other hand there is a very intriguing story, memorable and genre-wise very fitting characters, interesting dossier mechanics and most importantly, the game is a marvel of narrative design. Player faces choices and consequences (sometimes unforseeable, but c´est la vie) at every step and the resulting level of world reactivity makes imo this game worth a play alone.
Timed dialogues are a bit flawed because stances sometimes simply aren´t descriptive enough and in a lot of cases more benevolent time limit would be more sensible, but the system works really well at keeping player on his toes and making him really pay attention to what´s being said.
Another tension boosters are minigames and checkpoint-only save system. Save system definitely has its quirks, minigames I´ve found personally very well implemented.
All in all, the whole game is very effective at keeping player constantly on his toes.

After a weaker start (tutorial, Saudi Arabia), the game was progressively getting better and more exciting (my order was Moscow -> Rome -> Taipei) and the endgame was satisfying and suitably over the top.

Besides the occasional one-time stutter and one nonfunctional activator solved by reload, I encountered zero bugs and crashes which is quite impressive, especially given the amount of narrative variables.

Despite its many flaws (none being serious imo), Alpha Protocol is a game with heart in the right place and has more than enough virtues to be considered a creative success.
Especially when it comes to narrative design it´s quite a milestone.
A lot of reviewers seem to be blowing the flaws out of proportions while subduing the virtues, which is btw the exact opposite what they do when it comes to "true" AAA titles like Mass Effect and co.

I really hope Obsidian will be able to continue the franchise."

Last edited:
Finally picked it up earlier today and played it for a few hours. My main focus is on assault rifles and endurance, yet surprisingly my character is still adept in stealth and with pistols.

Sure, I get spotted very easy, but I can still stay hidden for a while and I can still be absolutely deadly with a pistol. I just need a little while longer to line up a shot. That especially came as a surprise to me, concidering I've heared a few reviewers complain that you can't hit anything in this game.

It's said time and time again during the training mission that pistols are not ment for long range engagements and while I use them at short/medium range and don't spam the fire button (so I don't destroy my accuracy) , they seem to kill just fine. Is it just with me or are there others who are also perfectly fine with their pistols or other weapons (trained or untrained)?

Further more, I'm lucky again it seems since I haven't encountered any problematic bugs yet. Game runs perfect for me, just like DA:Awakening did. Kind of scared now to upgrade my pc in a few months. :p

Anyone else hating the hacking minigame?
I also hated it at the start, but after I stopped paying attention at each individual letter and started paying attention at the "picture" in its whole, it went ALOT smoother.

Last edited:
@Davion
Pistols are actually quite overpowered if you max them, due to the exceptionally deadly freeze time skill (can't recall the name of the skill). People claiming they are weak simply haven't tried them enough (I considered them weak as well untill I decided to try them out more than just "click click click").

@DeepO
We agree then. :)

Oh, and about the whole not-killing-anything approach. Good idea, I think I'll make that my 3rd game - focusing on martial arts (with Fury, it is incredible later on) and tranquilizers. Where do you see how many you've killed?

Primarily I'll focus on MA and Toughness, and then just punch my way through the game, using the tranqs only to take out targets I can't reach with melee (i.e snipers).

Should be good fun. Oh, and I think I'll start as Recruit to see what it's like. Maybe do a Veteran game afterwards once it's unlocked (perhaps a game focusing on Shotguns where the goal is the opposite of the Recruit game - to kill as many as possible).

We'll see. Crazy replayvalue in any case.

Where do you see how many you've killed?
It´s a part of summary you get after finishing each mission, accessible via tab in the upper right.
The overall status can be viewed from character screen (tab beside the one listing perks).

Speaking of perks in AP, that´s basically achievements done right :).
They give nice feedback on playstyle and progress, don´t carry across characters and function well as an additional reward system.

Oh, and I think I'll start as Recruit to see what it's like.
For the next play I´m planning one on hard. Probably a suicidal run with outcomes as bad as possible :). Hopefully I´ll choose a skillset effective enough to finish it.

I played on hard, but it wasn't really hard ;)

Except for that Boss fight - which isn't hard per say, but rather completely out of the context of a stealth shooter.

Back
Top Bottom