AMD drivers update.

zahratustra

SasqWatch
I'm getting a message that new drivers for my RX 470 are available BUT when I look at the Settings panel I see this: Currently Installed: 17.1.2; New Recommended: 16.12.2; New Optional 17.2.1. Now, the last bit I can understand but do they really recommend 16.12.2 over 17.1.2?

I don't have an AMD, but all that comes to mind is that the 17.x branch might be unstable (beta), and the 16.x the current recommended branch. It's very common for software to be developed that way. Have a look at their driver download page and see if this is any clearer.

Thanks Ripper!

After having browsed a bit, I think they mark their beta drivers with "Beta". It seems like the first version number denotes the year, followed by month and then the half of the month. So 17.2.1 would be the first release in February 2017. And that makes me think that the newest is simply cutting edge with fixes for new games and such, and the recommended release is lagging behind a month or two.

Either way, the automatic update never works for me for some reason.

Hmm, so they seem to have actual betas, plus a cutting edge driver that is optional, and a stable older driver that is recommended. That's a bit unusual, but essentially the same idea, I suppose.

It didn't work for me either for quite a while but it does now. Don't you just hate it when things start working again and you don't know why? :)

Hmm, so they seem to have actual betas, plus a cutting edge driver that is optional, and a stable older driver that is recommended. That's a bit unusual, but essentially the same idea, I suppose.

Yeah, the end result is, more or less, the same.

17.X.X is the branch with Relive which is still in beta (AMD version of NVidia Shadowplay).

Back
Top Bottom