Into The Breach - RPG Codex Review

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The RPG Codex has reviewed Into the Breach.

Each game follows the same path: you are offered four islands and a fifth Vek Bowser Castle that you must ultimately assault for a win. Each island carries a separate theme: temperate, desert, frozen, and Republicans winning fifty elections in a row. Once on the chosen island, you progress through sectors, each providing a small reward for fulfilling objectives. Throughout the campaign, you need to protect cities as they're the on-field pips representing your Power Grid – more or less the campaign’s “HP.” If the Power Grid goes down, you lose.

The mechs are piloted by unique though somewhat disappointingly undeveloped characters. Each pilot can level up, gaining crucial skills like adding HP, move speed, or super useful traits like ignoring crowd-control effects. Mechs can also be ‘leveled’ in a way, using reactors to boost their engine power so they can equip new gear or upgrade the ones they already have.

Into the Breach’s gameplay is simple: over the span of a few turns you manipulate enemies around an 8x8 grid to protect the Power Grid. Mechs start with one skill and almost all of them involve displacing enemies; conversely, most Vek are singular in their offensive. Like Heroes of Normandie, you’re also shown in what order events will sequence. It is sequencing which is the lynchpin of Into the Breach, as you’ll often be forcing Vek into killing one another. This allows for pleasing moments where you nudge and scoot critters just where you want them, hit end turn, and then watch the mini-Rube Goldberg unfold with fratricidal aplomb.

[...]
More information.

Nice read!
Although, this confirms my suspicion that the game is more of a puzzler than what I understand of a tactics game.
It will eventually end up in my library wether I want it or not. So I will give it a go then.

It's a metaphor for a hellish post-apocalyptic wasteland. Though parts of the States are like this already.

Poster child of crowdfunded scene with a gigantic dilution of content: the core is about unlocking content to unlock further content, driven by achievements that go against the play demand (like refusing to upgrade weaponry, destruction of convenient items etc)

Once everything is unlocked, there is nothing left to do as there is no game to play.

The task is galactic sized: ten squads demanding each three run completions plus side achievements that demand dedicated runs.

One hundred hours, the dollar per hour crowd will be pleased.

Nice read!
Although, this confirms my suspicion that the game is more of a puzzler than what I understand of a tactics game.
It will eventually end up in my library wether I want it or not. So I will give it a go then.

That is that. At first glance, the product fitted the bill for streamers:a monolithic product that could fill hours of activity with no requirements.

Yet, as it is puzzle based, it encourages back seating and streamers do not bear that. So most of them quitted.

Back
Top Bottom