The TV Series discussion thread

Oh, Twin Peaks is going somewhere for sure.....I've got this nasty theory that Diane might be actually related to someone in Vegas, and that's how she's kept ahead of the game so far. As far as an actual conclusion, I'm hoping for something even more vague than "how's Annie"?

Laura Flynn Boyle, ok, that's probably who it was. Thanks. It would have been nice if they could have buried the hatchet for the sake of the show - she seems to have matured quite a bit.

Sherilyn Fenn has been on the last two episodes of Twin Peaks.

Speaking of Twin Peaks, the show is going nowhere. There's only 5 episodes left now, and it's becoming a huge disappointment to me.

Well Coop, that doesn't surprise me (and its something I heard on the rumour mill).

The show should have been put on hiatus when David Lynch had to step away because of prior commitments the first time because that's when ABC pressured him to reveal Laura's killer and the show jumped the shark.

Like every big MMOG have a bad a launch, shows like Twin Peaks have a tendency to get lost (get it?) after a certain amount of time.

I thought this new season started out really good and showed a lot of promise. The last 5-6 episodes have really dragged though, and I don't see a satisfying conclusion at this point with only 5 left.

The problem isn't his abstract weirdness as much as his insistence on giving so much screen time to meaningless characters. That, and the fact that the best characters from the original series have barely been featured at all.

I'm enjoying the hell out of Twin Peaks, after thinking I'd never see it again and touching base with folks involved at two of the meets over the years, I'm delighted we've gotten another chance to visit this realm. If Showtime has an ounce of sense, they'll lock in a season four right quick, the dvds are likely to be loaded with features and should bring in buko bucks.

I just started the first episode of Twin Peaks: The Return. It's weird and good and creepy and very very Lynchian. Will watch a second episode.

I thought this new season started out really good and showed a lot of promise. The last 5-6 episodes have really dragged though, and I don't see a satisfying conclusion at this point with only 5 left.

The problem isn't his abstract weirdness as much as his insistence on giving so much screen time to meaningless characters. That, and the fact that the best characters from the original series have barely been featured at all.

I'm very surprised of how much progress there has been in terms of world/story. I do agree that some of the characters feels really meaningless, but i'd say those are ones from the original series more so than new ones; Audrey and her husband, anything with Norma, Jacoby (terrible! he was a good character in the original series), Nadine (not too much of her but still - really meaningless).. Clone-Cooper and dumbdumb-Cooper with "wife" are great.. Gordon and agents are great fun too. Can't wait to rewatch this season once its finished, but i do hope for a fan-cut though ;)

It might be an improvement if Showtime loses Twin Peaks to, say, a service like Netflix. Since Lynch doesn't exactly do episodes but more like feature films(and this one in eighteen parts), it might benefit if it were on a platform that you could watch more than on part at a time, if you so desire.

Tons of stuff has happened and has been explained (well, to the degree we can expect), far more than i thought we would know even in the last episode to be honest. But frankly, if you watch this for satisfying conclusions where everything will make total sense, then it's not for you. I think i said that pretty early on ;)

I see this (and much of Lynch's work) pretty much as a LSD or Psilocybin trip, a strange journey that leaves the person mostly baffled and amazed, and with many questions. Never really understood why it's so interesting to get all the details (well for some genres its understandable, but here, no..) Questions and speculations are more interesting, more fun, more creative.

We'll see.. If he goes too much into detail I will be disappointed i think, because this really is something that should be way beyond human comprehension.

Well diehard Lynch fans are certainly more forgiving than I am. :)

I still find the show enjoyable enough to watch, but I just think it could have been a lot better. You say "tons" of stuff has happened, but a lot of that stuff was largely irrelevant.

I can't help but to wonder how great the show could have been if 50% or more of each episode wasn't wasted on completely useless and uninteresting characters and situations.

Finished 3 seasons of Gotham - and I really liked it as silly fun. It doesn't try to be more than it is - and it's well produced and entertaining.

Now, I'm thinking I'll be giving The Expanse a proper shot.

Now, I'm thinking I'll be giving The Expanse a proper shot.

I have just the season finale of season 2 left to watch, and I've enjoyed it for the most part. It's far from perfect, and I don't think the cast is particularly strong, but I think it's the best SYFY show right now even if that's not saying much.

Unfortunately we're in for a long wait until season 3 airs.

I have just the season finale of season 2 left to watch, and I've enjoyed it for the most part. It's far from perfect, and I don't think the cast is particularly strong, but I think it's the best SYFY show right now even if that's not saying much.

Unfortunately we're in for a long wait until season 3 airs.

Yeah, too bad quality sci-fi is so rare.

Would be great with a sci-fi production on the GoT scale!

How does a proper Aliens TV show sound? ;)

Yeah, too bad quality sci-fi is so rare.

Would be great with a sci-fi production on the GoT scale!

How does a proper Aliens TV show sound? ;)

I think the Expanse season 2 is better than season 1.
I miss the old Stargate tv show :) Found the actors fun.

Stargate SG1, one of my top 5 shows of all time.
Note: the show was still good with Browder and Black.

Just finished the first season of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Way better than the movie. Neil Patrick Harris plays the villain all super hammy and its perfect. It's not uncommon for Harris to look at the camera and say something like "I will kill them tonight" and the characters in the show will say "what did you say?" and Harris will say "Oh I will fill you with delight." The multitude of variations of this joke never ceases to delight me.

The show has a "Lex" quality to it where it is both fantastic and ridiculous at the same time. The series has a narrator that gives a running summary of the events of the show but its played with dread, deadpan and a wink. Looks like the series creators are doing the right thing and the show will only last 3 seasons, the length of the book series. Looking forward to season 2.

I like Neil Patrick Harris' hammy showman shtick. I might give it a look. Used to read those books to my little sister.

As for The Expanse, I would definitely say it's second division sci-fi, and it's a bit frustrating because with a bit of sharpening up, it could have been much better. But it does a decent enough job of scratching my sci-fi itch. Some bits have been really good.

Last edited:
Expanse S2 was a big letdown imo, S1 was really great, loved the (almost) Bladerunner vibe it had. S2 was too much about the very uninteresting martian soldier, who's not a great actor (some wrestler or boxer or something IRL). I also got the impression that some of the other main actors were fed up or whatever, they did not give a good impression at all, worse than in S1 (and its not like they're great to begin with, the one great main actor there was is not in S2.)

It's no where near BSG, but obviously looking forward to S3, it's a rare treat to have even a half-decent sci-show :)

Last nights episode of GoT's ended in the closest thing ever shown on screen to a D&D adventure. Just when you think the series can't surprise you anymore they throw an old AD&D module at you. Expedition to the Icy Barrier Peak.

I will say it now. Next week's episode will the greatest adventure ever shown for table top roleplayers and crpgs.

Back
Top Bottom