Tyranny - About the Morality

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN has written a long editorial anout the morality in Tyranny:

Tyranny's take on evil isn't just nuanced, it's disturbing

If you've ever had the unfortunate experience of working as a manager for a large company, you're already well-versed with Tyranny's version of evil. At a preview event last week, I had the opportunity to sit down and play through the first few hours of Obsidian Entertainment's ‘evil has won’ RPG. As the type of person who sometimes gets a kick out of being contrarian, I went into that demo with the purpose of poking holes in Tyranny's attempts to seduce me to the dark side. If Tyranny wanted me to be bad, I was going to do everything in my power to do just the opposite. I thought it would be funny, but instead it left me feeling depressed. It's not because Tyranny doesn't accommodate being good, but because I found myself too weak-willed to choose it.
[...]
More information.

Author finishes his first paragraph with : "It's not because Tyranny doesn't accommodate being good, but because I found myself too weak-willed to choose it." only to disprove that statement in the body of the text.

I found the article to be very interesting. I liked the example they used of freeing the woman prisoner and the results and consequences of doing so. It has definitely made me more interested in the game as it sounds like your actions are going to have meaning.

Author finishes his first paragraph with : "It's not because Tyranny doesn't accommodate being good, but because I found myself too weak-willed to choose it." only to disprove that statement in the body of the text.

Yes, I didn't get that either. All the text in all the reviews show exactly the opposite. I think he's really reaching there.

I guess, saving one rebel, was a good as his skills allowed? I'm not so sure, he did the opposite of the title. Wouldn't good try to free all the rebels and kill both factions?

Wouldn't good try to free all the rebels and kill both factions?
He might but only in a binary, black & white Hollywood game universe.
I guess, saving one rebel, was a good as his skills allowed? I'm not so sure, he did the opposite of the title.
We are talking only about relatively short demo mission BUT if all of the outcomes lead to evil how could he possibly say that Tyranny accommodates being good?

Now, I'm not questioning Obsidian's right to make a game where evil rules. I simply question the logic of author's argument.

The article reveals how sketchy that whole morality thing is.

The author tasks himself with being good while knowing nothing on the world. He came with a preconceived vision that does not match the experience.

It looks amazing that people keep harping with choices and consequences while welcoming any decision they cant fathom the consequences of.

In the end, it boils down to unintended consequences and dogoodism. Take decisions that players feel comfortable without while being in a fog.

On this account, walking through the experience with a dice on the table is an equivalent way of doing.

Can't agree more Chien except I don't understand what do you mean by this bit : "It looks amazing that people keep harping with choices and consequences while welcoming any decision they cant fathom the consequences of. People harp and then welcome something they harped for so where does the "while" come from? Don't see any opposites in that sentence.

I think the "Good Decision" he was talking about is challenging Fifth Eye and overriding his decision to kill the woman in front of his troops. But he though it would lead to a duel with Fifth Eye and quite possibly the entire Scarlet Chorus camp, just to save that one woman.

He also didn't want to take a hit to his relationship with the Scarlet Chorus Faction, since he needs them to complete the mission or he is dead too. So he try to talk Fifth Eye out of it and end up being indirectly responsible for forcing the prisoner to kill all her fellow prisoners.

I think the lesson for this choice here is "don't compromise" either go slaughter happy and join in the scarlet festivities or go even more slaughter happy and save the damsel in distress, and maybe her fellow prisoners.

The decision tree here seems a bit like participating a general election: choose the less evil of two slimy, multi-tentacled choices.

-SNIP-
I think the lesson for this choice here is "don't compromise" either go slaughter happy and join in the scarlet festivities or go even more slaughter happy and save the damsel in distress, and maybe her fellow prisoners.
What you describe would actually make quite an interesting scenario. But only time will tell if Tyranny really allows choices like that. For all that we know choosing to oppose Fifth Eye might only lead to a sudden death.

What you describe would actually make quite an interesting scenario. But only time will tell if Tyranny really allows choices like that. For all that we know choosing to oppose Fifth Eye might only lead to a sudden death.

That is true, though I don't think obsidian would put in a death trap choice like that, I do agree my scenario is too ambitious. Most likely you get to fight and kill Fifth Eye and appoint someone in his place tell him to relase that woman or you'll kill him/her too and take a relation hit with the faction. I doubt the devs will let the PC wander off and join the rebellion so early in the game. Would be pretty awesome if that was the case.

From what little I've read about the Scarlet Chorus, I suspect they might actually respect you more if you slaughter their leader. They definitely seem to be of the mentality that if your weak enough to get killed, then you deserved it.

But as this is an early tone setting part of the game, I'd also suspect that no matter what choice you make, there is going to be some unpleasant fallout. It kind of puts me in the mind of the first witcher game.

I think it is refreshing to have a game that will be different in how Morality is played out.

That's it, besides I am looking forward to playing it.

Back
Top Bottom