Stocks/shares investments

Not been following the stock but they have two initiatives that should be generating a bit of revenue: Their new cpu are really good and solid alternative to intel (though unlike the 486 days intel has significantly lowered their prices in response); their partnership with intel for integrated gpu is doing well - esp with laptops.

Intel is working on getting into the gaming graphics card game in the next year or two (they poached one of AMD's top guys). Might take a bite out of AMD if they pull it off.

Not been following the stock but they have two initiatives that should be generating a bit of revenue: Their new cpu are really good and solid alternative to intel (though unlike the 486 days intel has significantly lowered their prices in response); their partnership with intel for integrated gpu is doing well - esp with laptops.

I've always been surprised that AMD wasn't valued more considering they supply the CPUs and GPUs for both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One in addtion to their desktop and mobile CPUs/GPUs.

Nvidia stock is currently around $267 which is fucking nuts. Now that's a stock I wish I had bought 2 years ago. :)

Intel is working on getting into the gaming graphics card game in the next year or two (they poached one of AMD's top guys). Might take a bite out of AMD if they pull it off.

Could take a bite out of Nvidia too if it's good enough. I'd love to see a third legit player in the graphics card game. It's been dominated by 2 companies for far too long. If nothing else, at least it gives gamers another option and might force more aggressive pricing.

Yep, I'm all for it.

Not sure why AMD stocks are so lively right now - I wonder if insiders know they've got the contract for the next gen consoles.

Well I advise my dad against Nvidia approx 13 years ago because historically ati and nvidia swapped places (stock wise) as gpu alternated every couple of years; wrong advice. At some point nvidia over took ati and then amd purchased ati. The problem with amd has been that their cpu generally didn't sell well since 2010 (duo core took away their perf competitiveness) and the cost of keeping up out-weight the laptop market and deals with ps4/xbox. Anyway hindsight is always wonderful. However, my pick 2 years ago has done fantastic - already up 12x and should go up another 10-15x over the next 5 years so it hasn't been all bad news. Btw ati saved amd for unexpected reasons - the bitcoin mining. A lot of people speculated amd would have gone under if not for that little unexpected event. Alternative when the merger took place most analysts thought it was hopefully ill-advise as both companies were struggling.

Then again if ati had remained independent they might have over-taken nvidia as initially only their gpu was the choice for bitcoin mining. However, instead of accelerating ati gpu amd took the money and used it to .... So i don't feel quite so bad about my advice at the time.
-
With regards to nvidia future:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3273485/laptop-computers/intel-kaby-lake-g-core-i7-8705g-review.html
--
However, only time will tell how things play out. We can always make decisions; some of them actually quite reasonable but sometime things don't play out the way we expect.

For the record nvidia is up 14 x the past 3 years and 66x over the past 14 years.

I've always been surprised that AMD wasn't valued more considering they supply the CPUs and GPUs for both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One in addtion to their desktop and mobile CPUs/GPUs.

Nvidia stock is currently around $267 which is fucking nuts. Now that's a stock I wish I had bought 2 years ago. :)

Could take a bite out of Nvidia too if it's good enough. I'd love to see a third legit player in the graphics card game. It's been dominated by 2 companies for far too long. If nothing else, at least it gives gamers another option and might force more aggressive pricing.

While AMD is looking good now, they were crashing quite a bit in between.
Speaking of April: I actually got multiple mails there from my bank basically alerting me, that I am at 40% loss in AMD. Now they are over 7%+ again (for the second time they are worth slightly more than what I bought them for) but honestly it's not really something I'd recommend to buy ^^

With NVIDIA…well, while I am at 190% plus total since I bought them in multiple batches in the last 2 years, and while I would have recommended them a while ago because I saw a pretty bright future (which I still see), I am not sure whether they are already overrated regardless. You also need to consider that NVIDIA is also putting their bets on deep learning and AI. If they will be leading in that sector, supplying everone with their AIs, maybe even becoming the skynet of the future then…yeah, there is lots of potential to rise further. But on the other hand, if someone manages to copy their processes and become a cheaper supplier…not sure how far down it will go.
Might be similar to saying PCs are the future, so IBM was the future in the 80s. But yeah, it's not really IBM who is making the most money now.

The last 2 weeks also have been crazy in general. Basically the average value of my depot increased by 25%. This was now the first time when I was kinda thinking "please don't rise again, this cannot be healthy"

Nvidia is past the point of being a great investment now unless there's a significant pullback imo. At least to the average joe. Those of us who didn't grab some before it skyrocketed are out of luck.

I'm not saying it won't continue to grow, I'm saying it's not a feasible investment for most people at this point. The average working-class person isn't buying a stock that's $250+ a share.

Financial planning is something I avoid where possible, but you can invest in fractions of shares.

You can't directly purchase fractional shares in most stocks afaik. Fractional shares are usually acquired from stock splits or from dividend reinvestment.

One alternative would be to invest in a mutual fund that contains the stock.

I think most brokerage firms provide it by doing the splits internally among customers. Do you not use a broker or investment firm?

I use two. I've never heard of anyone buying fractional shares, but then it's also not something that would interest me so I've never looked into it.

I guess there are some platforms that allow it, but I don't think most of the larger financial institutions do it.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea - I guess it depends on how a firm implements it and their fees. But I'm pretty sure it can be done for small investors that want to buy into high-value shares.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea - I guess it depends on how a firm implements it and their fees. But I'm pretty sure it can be done for small investors that want to buy into high-value shares.
I am pretty sure it can be done by many firms.

It works like that for my stocks and shares isa.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with this logic. The actual price of the stock should have little consideration if you buy it regardless of your income. That is there is virtually no difference between a company with 1 million shares at $1000 and a company with 100 million shares at $10. It is the same investment. The argument that you can buy 1/2 a share (50 shares at $10) instead of 1 share at $1000 is weak. If you need the cash just save longer to buy the share.
-
The fundamental question should be benefit vs risk for this opportunity vs other opportunities.
-
We have to look at why the company did well historically and its prospect for continue growth in traditional markets as well as new markets vs the competition and changes in landscape.
-
Given the current price (not price of the stock but valuation of the company relative to other factors) I presonally think it is a risky investment esp if we are talking about a 5 year window. I can see a lot of reasons why growth would slow or why the stock might go negative relative to the current valuation vs the potential for growth acceleration or valuation acceleration (valuation acceleration a term i am coining is when the stock price goes up on expectation and is not relevant to whether that expectation is realized).
-
You might argue that my view is incorrect or you disagree with my view but to argue that the actual price of a share makes it a bad investment without regards to valuation or market cap is imho a very poor and dangerous (as in bad advice) to be making.
-
this doesn't mean you are right or wrong with regards to what the future holds for the stock but if you are right (or wrong) it is imho for the wrong reason.
-
Last but least yes I understand you were not commenting on the investment itself but rather claiming that people shouldn't be investing $250 in one shot. Another point I would disagree. The average person should be saving quite a bit more per year esp when ti comes to retirement account. Yes i understand some youngsters will be hard press to do that but if they can afford a game console and a few games they can certainly afford to save a bit.

I'm not saying it won't continue to grow, I'm saying it's not a feasible investment for most people at this point. The average working-class person isn't buying a stock that's $250+ a share.

You. I think you misunderstood jdr. Although maybe I have too.

If a stock is priced at $1m per share, the average Joe cannot pay for it no matter how how of an investment it may be, unless they can buy a split stock.

So if someone has saved 100 to buy stocks they would look for something they can buy now and not a stock that they would need to wait three months to buy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I agree with "you". It's not the current price which is relevant. It's more about how the price did come together. For example the situations in which a price increase by multiple 100% in a year is actually warranted are very limited.
But in the end it's also not some dude who makes these prices but a collective of somewhat intelligent people who actually paid that price. It's about whether you think you are more clever or have more knowledge than these people.

That said, $250 per share isn't really that much. It depends on how many shares are out there as "you" mentioned. Paid over 310$ for a Tesla share (you might argue that they are overpriced as well).
But just look at Alphabet (Google Company) at 1159$ per share or amazon at 1715$ per share. Or look at Lindt (Chocolate company) for 74043$ per share.

And at the price point of Lindt I start to agree. You are not going to buy a full share there as private investor.
But if you think that 250$ for a single share is too expensive to even get into, then you probably should not buy stock at all. Purchases in these small numbers are not worth it, and the bank prices to do that purchases might eat up a lot of your profit.

In my case I am paying 15€ per transaction below 3000€ and 0.5% per transaction above 3000€ (for nasdaq)
And buying a 250$=215€ stock for 240€, meaning paying a fee of around 11.5% would be pretty stupid in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom