Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gaming Bolt interviewed Julien Desourteaux about the Action RPG Werewolf: The Apocalypse:

Werewolf: The Apocalypse Interview –
‘What We Want Is A Strong Story’

By the full moon you prey upon the night as a werewolf.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse is not likely a game you heard of during E3 2017. Being developed by Cyanide Studios, the game is still in its early pre production stages, but what has been revealed thus far has been very tantalizing. You play as a werewolf, a man who turns into a wolf and gains supernatural abilities. With these abilities you must save the world from the many vile creatures that are killing this planet. From human pollution to many other unknown entities, it is your job to clean up this small part of the forest and protect what’s left.

With so very little to go off of, including no screenshots and no actual gameplay revealed just yet, we had to sit down with Game Director of Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Julien Desourteaux to figure out what type of game this is shaping up to be.

Cyanide is known for its work on the Styx franchise, which is more about stealth and fantasy adventure. How do you feel that experience will carry over into Werewolf: The Apocalypse?

The engine. We are well aware with the Unreal Engine 4. Right now we are in a preparation phase. The level designers from Styx: Shards of Darkness, are all on this project. There are a lot of things that we can keep from Shards of Darkness. For example, the interaction, and experience, we can keep that. What we want to add as well is the combat system. Because in Styx when you were detected you had to flee or die. But here there is no compulsion in stealth. If you want you can go in frenzy whenever you want. It is important to have a seamless experience.

The game has a lot to do with preserving nature and being friendly to the planet. So are the enemies going to just be human since they are the biggest polluters of the planet?

No. What’s good with World of Darkness license is that you can use vampires, werewolves, fairies and the supernaturals. As for humans, they are used to fighting the corporation and werewolves. They have machines that can destroy werewolves.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

You can tell a lot from this interview, thanks HiddenX. Expect a high production standard, linear story, 15 hour consolish ARPG set in UE4.

Looks promising.
The depiction of garous and the related issues are so far from what could be expected.

Not a single word on the mythology of garous, not a word on the triat. Humans are going to be the main enemy because they pollute so much when pollution is a manifestation only, not a cause.
Garous forsook the war on humanity for millenia now, they never were at war with humanity actually as feeding on/killing humans was done out of duty to preserve the balance.

As of course, the world of the apocalypse is not large enough and can not contain a story, you must go and see elsewhere to perform crossovers with vampires, fairies, ghosts and mages.

Product is going to be built as MMOs are, exhibition park incoming.

Product now well understood by audience, who are ugoigo reliant. When compromise is afloat, target market don't value gameplay.

Tried google translate, no use.
Checked urban dictionary, no dice.
Oxford is also clueless on it.

A typo?

It's Chien special vocabulary and he wasn't willing to explain it one more time when I asked for it. I decided to skip all arguments related to that until he does.

I expect from Cyanide what they've shown so far. I wasn't overly impressed. They've been mediocre at best.

Comment made out of boredom, slow days in this forum, no longer providing adequate ground for frantic activity which explains paying attention to an expression that has been used hundreds of times now on this site only now.

It is correct to consider this site as self referential. So running a research on this site would have delivered an answer, including the improbable revelation that ugoigo is an actual word that is commonly used in the geaming terminology, and as it was not enough, the revelation was made by others.

It's Chien special vocabulary and he wasn't willing to explain it one more time when I asked for it. I decided to skip all arguments related to that until he does.

There is no special vocabulary other than the one used in gaming. UgoIgo is a common term.
As to providing the explanation, it is useless because of the commonality of the term even though, out of courtesy, it was already performed on this site.

Since the demand was already met, it voids the question of skipping all arguments.

Product now well understood by audience, who are ugoigo reliant. When compromise is afloat, target market don't value gameplay.

As so often, a proper off target misrepresentation. The audience might not be aware of the world of the apocalypse. As such, they do not know the picture made of it is little representative of the world of the apocalypse.

The product is supposed to be real time so unlikely to be bent to the likings of the ugoigo crowd.

Gameplay has nothing to do with the previous comment, as the remarks were on the settings of the universe.

Dear god, someone help me, I think I actually understood that. In the same sense that I understand........who am I kidding? It parted my hairs, as usual!

Can I join the hivemind Chien?

Back
Top Bottom