Secret of Mana Remake - Due February

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Secret of Mana Remake will release on Steam February 12th.

The memorable adventure of Randi, Primm and Popoi is reborn in the new "Secret of Mana"!

Embark on an action-packed, worldwide adventure in this 3D remaster.

Available on 15th February, 2018 for Steam, PS4 and PSVita!

Like what you see? Then be sure to follow us:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/square_enix_eu
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/squareenix
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/squareenix
#SecretofMana
More information.

Hmm.... I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I wish the trailer would've shown some actual gameplay footage.

The original Secret of Mana has reached "beloved childhood classic" status for me, so it's quite possible I will hate this with a passion, depending on how far this deviates from the original.

I would definitely have to turn off those voice overs though....

Well I'm sure how I feel.
A remake? And it still looks - 320x200 Nintendo gamecrapscam? Seriously?
Is it a remake or a fraud?

bloglawn.gif

Hmm…. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I wish the trailer would've shown some actual gameplay footage.

The original Secret of Mana has reached "beloved childhood classic" status for me, so it's quite possible I will hate this with a passion, depending on how far this deviates from the original.

I would definitely have to turn off those voice overs though….

I found some screenshots. It looks like they've replaced the 2D art with 3D models. I'm not impressed.

http://kotaku.com/secret-of-mana-2-remake-announced-for-ps4-vita-and-ste-1798418464

When I saw the news I was "Yeah"!
Then I read about the 3D and I was "Pass!"

Agreed completely.

I'll reserve judgment for when we've been given more gameplay footage and features. After viewing the trailer, I can't say I'm pleased about voice overs, though. The transition to 3D could be a blessing or a curse in my eyes. I think if they can nail the atmosphere, tone, and feel of the original, they may have something here. I am a bit concerned they'll make it a bit too lighthearted as well.

Having said that, it's almost always impossible for a remake to replace a childhood classic for many people. Nostalgia is a powerful, powerful force.

The 3D iteration is not so much of a bother to me. In fact, some of my most cherished titles are 3D. The top dogs in my list are 2D, sure, but I don't think 3D games should be swept aside without a second thought.

However, I do believe that 2D games tend to get your imagination fired up more than anything else, because 2D detail can be so limited that it forces you to perceive something in your own way, which is partly what makes them special. If a beloved character was told they lost their parents, and their sprite looked down (without voiced dialogue), your imagination plays a big part in how you perceive that character's emotion. Are they feeling shocked? Sad? That's up to you, and that's why imagination plays a big part in 2D games. I think it's much more difficult in 3D games, but I think it can be done, if done right.

I read an article the other day about Final Fantasy VI's development. Yoshinori Kitase (director of FFVI and Chrono Trigger at the time) made a comment during an interview that he was reminiscent of the older days of video games because it forced his team to be challenged creatively. The biggest hurdle was space constraint - you had to account for every bit of content in a game, and if didn't fit the general feel or pacing of the game, it was scrapped. Every bit of detail on a sprite's face was carefully crafted to evoke a feeling from the player, where their imagination ran wild. Nowadays, we don't really have to worry about space constraints, and as an unintended result, I think it kind of pushed aside imagination in favor of a studio's vision.

I think 3D games have the potential to fire up your imagination when something is shown to you, as opposed to being told. I think it's important that the player lets their mind construct whatever they see, while the game tries to tell its story. I think if the Secret of Mana remake can handle that, it could be pretty decent.

Just don't forget about the score! Music plays such an important role, too!

I'm wary, but hopeful.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure how I feel.
A remake? And it still looks - 320x200 Nintendo gamecrapscam? Seriously?
Is it a remake or a fraud?

Shitty 3D < lovely 2D

And on top of that…. man, this remake is pricey! At least, in my currency (BRL). 119.99 BRL for a Snes remake, sorry but no way. I wonder how is the USA price, maybe 59.99 USD????

Last edited:
Continuing on the theme of price, it's doubly frustrating because what they've shown of the 3D remake looks more reminiscent of an indie or retro game, not a full price release. The low-poly models and repeating low-res textures suggest mobile-phone origins or PS1/PS2 era development rendered to 1080p on modern devices. Probably how they can offer Vita version. Expect iOS/Android too.

Indeed, they did a 3D remake of Adventure of Mana on iOS/Android/Vita last year to "reasonable" reviews, and this looks suspiciously similar. I'd wager that the same team has gone on to do this port, but has simply changed the target platforms, without significantly altering their production pipeline/budget.

In other words, what was fine 10$ game on mobile devices is now being sold for 50$ on TV/console. Hmmm.

Not my art style. The SNES Classic Mini became even more interesting.

They added extended cutscenes and voiced dialogue to it.

I honestly thought you were joking, clicked the link, no you are not joking.

Never would have guessed how expensive hyperrealistic modern graphics in that game is.

Yeah, $40 is a deal breaker for me since I already played the SNES version. If it was $30 and offered online co-op I would have bitten but since it doesnt I am passing. Online Co-op and using discord would have been great for this kind of game. Shame.

expensive hyperrealistic modern graphics

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: INTEL Core i3 2.4GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GT730 / RADEON R7 240
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 11 GB available space
Additional Notes: Resolution: 1280×720

Recommended:
Processor: INTEL Core i5 2.00GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 750 / RADEON R7 260X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 11 GB available space
Additional Notes: Resolution: 1920×1080

I played the original and thought it was overrated. I liked FF better at the time, especially FF6. (FF6 is the objectively best FF.)

Back
Top Bottom