ATOM RPG - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Good review. I rarely watch his videos to the end, but I did with this one. Worth a watch if you plan on playing ATOM anytime soon. Some very useful tips.

I really liked the first few areas of ATOM but lost Steam after about 40 hours. Need to retry it.

I finished ATOM about a month ago and getting ready to play Trudograd soon. It's pretty much a must-play for anyone who liked/likes Fallout 1 and 2. Although it is much "harder" than Fallout 1 and 2, don't expect to just throw together whatever stats/skills you want and not get wrecked. Lots of useful tips in InEffect's guide on Steam too.

Great game, still have yet to purchase and play the expansion, likely will do that next time I catch it on sale. And I also know it's a game I'll be replaying in the future, that's a sure thing.

I wish I liked the writing better. I quickly started skimming more than reading and it gave everything a perfunctory feel that didn't keep me engaged. I may give it another shot.

There’s 2 (or 3 at certain times of the RL year, the game has seasonal events) items in the game that let you increase any stat point. There’s also a tattoo you can get for 1 extra dex. And a potential 1 str increase in your base’s gym. Maybe more I’m forgetting.

Is there any way to increase attributes after character creation (without respeccing)?

During the game, there are a few ways to increase one of the attributes permanently or for a very long time, but not many. There are temporary boosts like taking alcohol to increase STR, but they usually have a drawback (for ex with alcohol you get addiction, that you must cure or suffer the consequences).

The attributes are modified by distinctions too, sometimes permanently, or sometimes depending on some factor. For ex Lone Wolf which boosts some attributes if you're alone. IIRC you can get another one in the game as a reward.

So it's not supposed to change much after the build.

Fantastic game!
The only gripe I have with it is that combat is a bit too simplistic nowadays. At least some form of cover system would have been nice.

Fantastic game!
The only gripe I have with it is that combat is a bit too simplistic nowadays. At least some form of cover system would have been nice.

Agreed. Combat could be improved. But it's still a great game. Difficulty level when you start is pretty steep. Once you get your first companion, it gets much easier.

There is a cover mechanic in the game during combat. It is just not very obvious but when you are trying to shoot enemies and the buggers hide around corners or other obstacles until you get closer then move out and attack you or shoot at you and then duck back behind whatever to avoid being shot by your character.
Unfortunately it doesn't highlight objects you can hide behind or walls that will provide cover so it's not an obvious cover mechanic but it does exist, it's also dependant on the on the combat map that you're playing on, in some cases there is no cover to be had at all.

I have finished a complete play through of both ATOM and it's sequel and both are well worth playing through.

There is a cover mechanic in the game during combat. It is just not very obvious but when you are trying to shoot enemies and the buggers hide around corners or other obstacles until you get closer then move out and attack you or shoot at you and then duck back behind whatever to avoid being shot by your character.
Unfortunately it doesn't highlight objects you can hide behind or walls that will provide cover so it's not an obvious cover mechanic but it does exist, it's also dependant on the on the combat map that you're playing on, in some cases there is no cover to be had at all.
Yep you can move out from cover, fire, then move back into cover. There's just no concept of "partial cover" as there in in some other recent games (like the new XCOMs and Wasteland 3), where you're behind something where people can still hit you, but at a lesser hit %. I guess that's what the other poster meant. The lack of it didn't bother me.

Yep you can move out from cover, fire, then move back into cover. There's just no concept of "partial cover" as there in in some other recent games (like the new XCOMs and Wasteland 3), where you're behind something where people can still hit you, but at a lesser hit %. I guess that's what the other poster meant. The lack of it didn't bother me.

Well, it does add some tactical options which imo, is always nice to have. I have to admit that fights in Atom are a little bland. Not quite as exciting as Wasteland 3 fights, for example, imo.

Nod, the combat was, at times, rather simplistic, though I also think that's part of the charm and appeal. I was never bored or tired of how it actually functioned, sometimes simple is best.

Nod, the combat was, at times, rather simplistic, though I also think that's part of the charm and appeal. I was never bored or tired of how it actually functioned, sometimes simple is best.

That's a good point. Very tactical-rpg tend to bore me after a while, with overlong combats (D-OS2...). It was never the case with Atom.

Good review. I rarely watch his videos to the end, but I did with this one. Worth a watch if you plan on playing ATOM anytime soon. Some very useful tips.

Since you watched it 'til the end, does it have spoilers?

Back
Top Bottom