Total War: Warhammer - Know Your Lore

Aubrielle

Noveliste
For those of us not intimately familiar with the world, kings, and gods of Warhammer, PC Gamer provides a helpful little guide.

The in-game Total War: Warhammer encyclopedia may take a few moments to spin up but once it does you'll find it contains useful introductions to the main races and characters of the Warhammer World. The Total War wiki can also help you get to grips with who the legendary lords are and what the playable factions are all about.

However, Warhammer has been around since 1983 and has accumulated a lot of background detail since then, a fair bit of which bleeds into Total War: Warhammer. If you're wondering what country that is on the far side of the map or who all these gods everyone talks about are, this is the guide for you.
More.

More information.

I'm thinking of getting this. Anyone play the Total War series? I like turned base games but can you plan your battles in this game or is it a bum rush like Age of Empires and old Warcraft games? I know outside the battles is turn based so that is why I may give it a try.

I'm thinking of getting this. Anyone play the Total War series? I like turned base games but can you plan your battles in this game or is it a bum rush like Age of Empires and old Warcraft games? I know outside the battles is turn based so that is why I may give it a try.
I've played many Total War games( still playing, to be honest). The battles here are not like Age of Empires of Warcraft 3. Maybe more like Warhammer: Dark Omen. No base creations, only two great armies and epic battles in real time. The terrain of the battlefield and the weather impact on how a battle is fought. Each unit has morale, which can increase if the battle goes well for their side, or decrease in cases such as heavy casualties or the death of the general. If a unit's morale is broken, they will rout; in certain circumstances, however, routing units may be rallied by the general. Victory in battle is achieved by causing every enemy unit to rout, or by killing the opposing army. Armies can lay siege to castles, replacing open land battles with close-quarters combat within the confines of the castle walls. But if you don't like such gameplay, there is an auto-battle function. If you're not sure, try older games of this series(Medieval,Rome(first) ) or Shogun 2. They're not really expensive. And then decide.

It's not comparable to AoE or Warcraft, which are RTS games. Basically, there's 2 modes to the game: an "overhead" mode on the main map, where you build improvements for your towns, recruit and move armies, perform spy or diplomatic actions... and a "battle" mode that zooms down to a battlefield area when two armies clash. In the latter you then get to array your troops (whichever ones were in the army at that point) on the battlefield and you then need to direct their movements once the battle starts.
At that point, you're basically playing a general directing your cavalry (that you had smartly hidden in the nearby woods) to charge the hapless enemy archers in the back while the main force is engaged with your troops. ;)

Pretty cool games, but don't expect too much from the AI. :)

Cool thanks for the info. How is the game outside of battles? I really like tech build up and defending your starting area with new buildings and units. Is there a tech tree like in Civ games and others?

Cool thanks for the info. How is the game outside of battles? I really like tech build up and defending your starting area with new buildings and units. Is there a tech tree like in Civ games and others?

The last Total War game I played was Medieval 2, so it's been a while, but I don't think the basic formula changed. Yes, from what I remember there are indeed tech trees, diplomacy, espionage (and assassinations), armies rebelling... Medieval even had a family tree, where you had heirs and stuff, but I am not sure whether that was just that iteration that had that. You can forge alliances and such (though the AI always tended to betray you no matter how friendly you were).

If you ever played Crusader Kings, the "overhead" mode is basically a very, very watered down version of that. It is not as heavy on the whole dynasty thing (at least not in Medieval 2).
I suggest you look at some let's plays to get a better idea. :)

I did look at a few reviews and 2 let's play so far. It showed battles mostly but did show some diplomacy and doing quests. This game does look fun and I have always wanted to try Total War games. Now that they have gone fantasy I am really tempted :)

I did look at a few reviews and 2 let's play so far. It showed battles mostly but did show some diplomacy and doing quests. This game does look fun and I have always wanted to try Total War games. Now that they have gone fantasy I am really tempted :)

I'm eyeing this title myself actually, the first TW I'm mildly interested in in a loooong time. :) It's getting good reviews, but given the size of my backlog, I'll probably be waiting for a sale or a "complete" package (that includes any future DLC).

I've never tried a real time strategy before. This seems like it might be a good one to make the plunge with it.

I'm eyeing this title myself actually, the first TW I'm mildly interested in in a loooong time. :) It's getting good reviews, but given the size of my backlog, I'll probably be waiting for a sale or a "complete" package (that includes any future DLC).

Yeah it looks like they are going to add a lot of DLC's like most Total Wars do. I may also wait for a complete package. I do have an itch to try something new though. Having played so many turn based strategy and rpg's lately maybe I should try something new.

The last game I bought that was outside my comfort zone was Dragon's Dogma and I did not really enjoy it so I am a bit hesitant.

Is there any RPG set in Warhammer universe?

There used to be the MMO but that has closed down. There have been a lot of strategy games in the Warhammer universe but I can not think of a RPG.

Civ 3 had an amazing mod set in the Warhammer universe that I played the hell out of.

There used to be the MMO but that has closed down. There have been a lot of strategy games in the Warhammer universe but I can not think of a RPG.

Civ 3 had an amazing mod set in the Warhammer universe that I played the hell out of.

I head about the MMO but never played it. It seems Warhammer has very rice lore and ideally suited for CRPG.

I don't really remember CRPGs, but there were Warhammer Mark of Chaos( it's RTS, but as far as I remember with few RPG elements) and Mordheim: City of the Damned. Turn-based tactic, I don't remember about RPG elements though.

Never did understand why they never made a Warhammer fantasy RPG, maybe the rule set isn't conducive to computer gaming? The lore behind the Warhammer setting is pretty extensive and has some interesting elements.

Never did understand why they never made a Warhammer fantasy RPG, maybe the rule set isn't conducive to computer gaming? The lore behind the Warhammer setting is pretty extensive and has some interesting elements.

The main ruleset is a strategy game. There is a role playing game though, which is a spin off of the strategy game. It involves a pretty complicated jobs system, but it could probably be diluted some and still make a feasible crpg.

Played a few hours. From what I've seen, the Empire benefits from a mostly diplomatic approach to the other human states.
I like the spell effects. Watching my greatsword unit chop through an enemy with debuffed armor :)

I almost bought it yesterday, but managed not to.

I do not expect to play multiplayer so all I want is the full game :)

Waiting a year or so before buying this unless it's half price on the steam summer sale...

Back
Top Bottom