Skyrim Events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

lostforever

SasqWatch
While exploring the world , I came a cross few "events". Once I came across a farmer taking cow to the giants as offering so I followed him to see what was happening. During this time I came across soldiers taking a pensioner but I ignored them and went with the farmer. He got the giants but they killed him!

My question is what would have happened if I did not follow the farmer? would the event still continues? i.e. farmer still got himself killed?

What triggers event? they just happen by them self or the player need to be in their area for them to trigger?

They trigger when you're in the area, yes. The game is basically a "bubble" - the world only exists within a certain radius of the player. Not sure what happens if you leave the area by auto-travelling to some other location. I doubt they actually continue, but the event itself might be considered completed - so the farmer is dead, but he never actually walked the distance to the giants to get killed. Either that, or the event is simply stopped and never resumed, so the farmer continues to stay alive.

Thats a bit of bummer since if you came across 2 events you can only follow one them to the end.

They trigger when you're in the area, yes. The game is basically a "bubble" - the world only exists within a certain radius of the player. Not sure what happens if you leave the area by auto-travelling to some other location. I doubt they actually continue, but the event itself might be considered completed - so the farmer is dead, but he never actually walked the distance to the giants to get killed. Either that, or the event is simply stopped and never resumed, so the farmer continues to stay alive.

Some basic AI continues when you leave the area I believe. At least in Oblivion it did, because you could find traveling NPCs dead on the side of the road when you were nowhere near them at the time. That thief in the swamp city could be dead from the guards the first time you go to that city. Stuff like that... not sure what decides which NPCs are "on" at a given time, but they don't have to be in the bubble.

On topic: I have met a bunch of these. I like the vigilantes of Stendarr, I hope there is a quest around them eventually. Last night I came across some rich nobles and their bodyguard heading to Solitude for a wedding and since it was my evil assassin archer character I said a kindly goodbye, let them walk by, then killed their bodyguard with an arrow to the back of the head. The noble couple started running... nailed the wife with a really long arrow shot, but the husband got away. Luckily the wife was carrying all the jewelry.

it's always a little disconcerting to see an NPC running towards you - I nock an arrow immediately, and get ready to shoot them down, and it turns out to be one of these "ambient quests" or random events. Then sometime's it really is an enemy ambushing me.

Kinda freaky, but fun because it keeps the world not-so-static and predictable.

Thats my problem. I remember I came to the top of a tower and wasn't sure what was going on. Instead of attacking from stealth, and maybe killing someone helpful, I approached in full ... and they attacked! I kinda assume in a dungeon certain things but outdoors ... I have come across numerous helpful people as well as bad ones. Although in general I assume a named character is usually neutral or worth taking a risk in approaching.

I really like the ratio of scripted vs random events so far; I had a guy run up to me and hand me a dagger or something to mind for him, then immediately after that I died somehow or other and had to reload to a point before the dagger guy had shown up, and I never saw him again.

It was a shame because he'd been a little rude and I wanted to give him what for, but I like the randomness all the same.

Thats my problem. I remember I came to the top of a tower and wasn't sure what was going on. Instead of attacking from stealth, and maybe killing someone helpful, I approached in full … and they attacked! I kinda assume in a dungeon certain things but outdoors … I have come across numerous helpful people as well as bad ones. Although in general I assume a named character is usually neutral or worth taking a risk in approaching.

If they have weapons I shoot them. If it ends up it was a friendly, I will reload.

You know, I just play for real. I approach and if they attack I back off, then go into sneak mode and return. Sometimes that's not always possible. ;)

Aye I dislike reloading, it breaks immersion. Obviously if I die (or perhaps my favorite companion) I reload but overall I try to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom