Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Kickstarter Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted some news for Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem:

PATCH 0.1.9: HUGE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS, WEATHER SYSTEM, WEAPON TRAILS, DEATH SYSTEM WIP, NEW LOCALIZATION AND MORE !

Hi Backers, it's update time ! Here's the complete changelog :

GENERAL: Huge performance improvements. The performance shouldn’t decrease over time now.
New: Weather system version 1.0. The sky is now more dynamic, with giant clouds blocking the sun, and rain all over the world of Wolcen.

Hi Backers, it's update time ! Here's the complete changelog :

GENERAL:Huge performance improvements. The performance shouldn’t decrease over time now.
New: Weather system version 1.0. The sky is now more dynamic, with giant clouds blocking the sun, and rain all over the world of Wolcen.

New: Dynamic weapon trails! The system is now fully fonctionnal. It will alow use to add nice trail effects to all weapons and skills using sets of particles. Most weapon particles are currently WIP.
New: Once dead, you can only respawn in Amarth. Enemies will respawn. Every looted items on the ground will disappear.
New: Merchant purchases will now use gold limitation.
New: Active Effect for various magic icons (burn, open wound, movement speed) – Still WIP, some effects are not displaying icons at the moment.
Fixed various crashes involving enemies projectile

UI:
Improved: The HUD displaying loot icons is now running in 60 frame per second – Icon struttering is fixed.
Fixed: Waypoints name weren’t displayed on minimap.
Fixed : various bug displaying item details
New : Tooltip for Character Sheet details have been added
Improved: The Book tutorial will not appear out of the tutorial area
Fixed: Missing icons in the Passive Skill tree

LOCALIZATION:
Improved: English localization thanks to Squidcake!
New: Spanish localization by ldtime. Thank you ldtime!
New: French localization.
Fixed : A lot of missing strings have been replaced in both English and French. So Wolcen is now in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, German, and soon hungarian! Thanks to our awesome community. You guys you are doing a great job. The fonts are work in progress.

GAMEPLAY:
Improved: Dead impulse is now more realistic. Most enemies doesn’t feel like weighing 20kg anymore.
New weapons to loot !
Improved: Enemies with elemental aura and affinity don’t have a permanent aura anymore – The effect is now active for a limited time, then disappears, and appears again (regular pulse)
Fixed a glitch allowing the player to move fast after a dodge (space bar) Greatly reduced bleed damage inflicted by butchers
Improved: Dialog boxes stay now 15secondes instead of 7.
Fixed: All enemies are now affected by the dead impulse (some of them were just falling on the ground).
Fixed: The player will never be blocked in a non walkable area (fixed – the previous patch was not 100% working)

ENVIRONMENT:
Improved: Optimize the polycount of the ferns by approximately 200%
Improved: Ennemies spawning on screen
New Megascans assets with an area reworked.

CHARACTERS:
Fixed : Capes are now properly saved and loaded

ANIMATION: Various fixes for player animations
Ogre default attack modified
More information.

I bought this game on Steam early access back when it was first released in March. It's the only game that I have ever refunded on Steam. I'm not saying it's the worst game ever released on Steam for early access, it's surely not even close, but I found it unplayable and had to refund it. I played it for about one hour and I really couldn't go on.

Here's what I can tell you about it and the reason why I found it unplayable.

The game is actually very pretty. It sort of reminds me of Grim Dawn as far as game play goes. The problem is the camera. I didn't write a review on Steam because I feel like it would be very unfair to do so with less than 2 hours gameplay, plus it being an early access game. I left a comment describing this more in detail as to why I refunded.

So getting back to the issue. The camera is just weird. The best way I can quickly describe this is that you can zoom out and in quite a bit, which is great. The problem is that when you zoom in, the camera doesn't angle down to something more like 3rd person like other isometric ARPG games do, for instance DOS and POE. You actually have to see this to know exactly what I am saying, but the camera remains almost facing straight down and it's really strange and disorienting. I found it unbearable. Also, the camera will rotate and that I also like, but the rotate sensitivity is way too high and there's no way to adjust it, so the slightest attempt to rotate the camera will just send it into a wild spin. Remember the first time you got really drunk and got that spin thing? It's like that. It's not pleasant.

I'm watching it because I think this game has a lot of potential, but they have to fix the camera.

At least these devs pumped lot of energy into making the game super nice! Notice the absolutely beautiful forest scene with the morning sun. Also those snow covered trees are fantastic and the whole game looks mighty awesome!

I think every time I fire up steam I see an update for this game. Still have yet to try it as the patches alone tell me it isn't done baking yet.

Back
Top Bottom