Dragon Quest XI - 29 Minutes of Gameplay Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming If you feel like it, check out 29 minutes of Dragon Quest XI.

IGN has shared a new video, showing 29 minutes of gameplay footage from Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. Now since the game releases on September 4th, we strongly suggest avoiding this video (in case you want to experience the part that it showcases yourselves).

[...]

More information.

When this game got announced I said instabuy because it dares to have the most ugly main characters I've ever seen.

In the meantime for a reason not known to me it drew out a crapload of so called sjw warriors. No, I will not read all comments and butthurt threads on Steam just to learn what's it about as I suspect it's just some fuss over nothing important. But usually, when political correctness lynch mob appears, it means I'll like the game. An example is Raven's Cry.

But this story might not have a happyend for me. The rumor is the game is locked on 30 FPS on PC and there is no official word about that (yet). Additionally Square Enix still didn't reveal an info on PC requirements although only 11 days remain till release.
Here's one Steam thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1733210552677656846/
If the slideshow rumor proves to be true, I'm gonna skippit.

Ive been gaming for about 34 years on console and pc and i play every genre. I honestly cant even tell the difference between 30 or 60 fps. Maybe my console gaming experience has conditioned me to it but i even watch comparison videos over and over and just cant see anything...

Same, I really find it difficult to see a difference. I think the only time it really mattered to me was when I was raiding in Everquest, and those days are over now.

Ive been gaming for about 34 years on console and pc and i play every genre. I honestly cant even tell the difference between 30 or 60 fps.
Same, I really find it difficult to see a difference.
If you didn't already, buy Trails of Cold Steel on PC. Both games if possible. If not, well, the first one will do.
Unplug your PC from 4K TV with smart and 3D options then plug it into any monitor.

Run the game or it's sequel. In config util make sure 60 FPS is selected (should be by default). Play the game for an hour.
Exit the game, run again to open the config util, now lock the game on 30 FPS. How does it look now? Silky smooth?

If after that you still can't tell the difference… No. I won't believe you can't.
Not only you'll now realize the difference, you'll also own a mustplay RPG!

Last edited:
The 30FPS wouldn't bother me but i'm not sure this game has much more than coin loaded ballons to be pop'd. I suppose it is cute and all but i couldn't tell from that video if there was anything else to the actual story.

Ive been gaming for about 34 years on console and pc and i play every genre. I honestly cant even tell the difference between 30 or 60 fps. Maybe my console gaming experience has conditioned me to it but i even watch comparison videos over and over and just cant see anything…

Same, I really find it difficult to see a difference. I think the only time it really mattered to me was when I was raiding in Everquest, and those days are over now.

30 FPS to 60fps isn’t something I see but it’s something I definitely feel.

However, this is a turn based combat game so I’m not sure why it would matter.

The story in Dragon Quest games is usually pretty solid. Not as "up itself" (sorry) as some of the Final Fantasies (you could sum up the plot in a couple of paras), but pleasant in a "fairy tale" kind of way.

Over the games, they've tried a few different styles of storytelling, but nothing too unconventional (in one game, you played each hero individually for a few hours, before switching to the next until they all united near the end). It isn't afraid to try a few variations (eg. shopkeeper as a character class, or shepherd) but largely sticks to the formula.

Battles are turn-based, and the story exists to move you forward from town to town. The characters are pre-set, and typically join at intervals throught the game. They usually have charm/personality.

Each area will typically have some sort of main "side" quest to do to sort things out in that area, and once that's set to right, you can move on to the next area.

In previous games, there have been interesting innovations and/or mini games. For example, one region/town required the use of the character's pet (mouse? miniature space hamster?) to explore and enter areas etc. There may be monster collecting / battling or other mini-games too.

Dungeons usually have a strong theme, and may well include puzzles.

Character levelling and skill aquisition is usually pretty solid, and there's often a substational "post game" too.

All in all, if you can cope with the very anime look/style (creature designs by the guy who created the characters for Dragonball Z), Dragon Quest games generally offer a really good "meat and potatoes" JRPG experience, with an attention to detail and love / charm that makes it special.

It is definitely NOT a final fantasy game - it doesn't feel the need to constantly throw out everything its predecessors got right - and some people may find the storyline lacking all the political shinnanegans or myriad of personal details/sidestories that you get in (say) Witcher or Baldurs Gate.

But for those who take the journey, you tend to get a beautiful balance of old school and modern in one tidy package. You'll get the warm-and-fuzzies that you get when replaying older games, but with the fresh look of something more recent.

Of course, that's no guarantee that this version will be good, but it has been out in Japan for a while to high acclaim, and the western version gains full voice acting, extra content and a visual polish, if memory serves. Looking forward to my birthday! ;)

Thanks! So maybe the video is just highlighting game play.

Btw you said it had voice acting but in the video there is just text no voice ?

The story in Dragon Quest games is usually pretty solid.
and the western version gains full voice acting, extra content and a visual polish, if memory serves. Looking forward to my birthday! ;)

Last edited:
Just wanted to second that Dragon Quest games are generally very solid in terms of both story and game mechanics. They also generally improve with each game, without jumping the shark and creating a completely different type of game like Final Fantasy did. If you enjoy classic sort of old school turn based then they are definitely worth a try.

The Japanese version didn't have voice acting - just text and sound effects. That's tended to be the way the DQ games are done in Japan.

However, DQ8 (the last "TV console" version to make it West) added voice acting when released, and all the previews I've read suggest the same for DQ11. I can't find quick confirmation from Square Enix, but two separate previews mentioned it, so I think it is a fairly safe bet.

As an aside, if you're wondering why I reference DQ8 not 9 or 10, 9 was a handheld game on the Nintendo DS, and 10 was a Japan-only MMO (with sizeable single player content, i think) on the Wii/WiiiU. Essentially DQ lands on whatever the current "most popular console" is in Japan. So, DQ1-3 were NES, 4-6 were SNES, 7 was PS, 8 was PS2, 9 was Nintendo DS, and 10 was Wii. 11 is a bit different with different versions for different consoles - PS4/PC is lead, with a handheld 3DS version with a 2D art style and also a Switch version planned.

I should add that I'm purposely not looking at too much preview stuff because I don't want to spoil anything major. I've been waiting for a new TV-sized DQ for a long time!

Last edited:
However, DQ8 (the last "TV console" version to make it West) added voice acting when released, and all the previews I've read suggest the same for DQ11. I can't find quick confirmation from Square Enix (snip)

Does an interview answer from the Producer of the game (unless that site made it up or got it wrong, of course) count as confirmation? The important bit, if you want to avoid reading the article, is:

Okamoto-san explained through a translator that all the cinematics, cutscenes, as well as the battle scenes, will be voiced. On top of that, the game also includes “party dialog” scenes, but only “a portion” of those will have voice acting added.

On top of that, we also learn that Square Enix has already completed the recording of the voice track.

Okamoto-san then explained that the reason why the Japanese version did not have voice acting is that the scenario by Yuji Horii and the script of the game were very important for the team, which is why a lot of time went into improving their quality until the last minute. At that point, there was no time left to record the voices.​

And to think I played Everquest with like 14 FPS (I prefer graphics over performance always).

https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1733210552687289524/
pic.jpg

Best PR ever.

A review for PC version (finally) appeared:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/test/909483/dragon-quest-xi-le-jrpg-old-school-sans-concession.htm
It's not some quality review IMO. No details and most important, no word on rumored 30FPS lock nor about possible problems with controls.
Pardon my french, used google translate and if it translated at least half correctly, the game is all peachy except horseracing :)barf:) and pisspoor menus.

------------------------------------------------

A comment from IGN:
"But one optional encounter really put me off. I was invited into a girl’s dim bedroom where I received a puff-puff in a dim room, and when the lights came back on, her father was standing there. She revealed that he’d delivered the puff-puff in the dark. The consent implications troubled me. I didn’t find it funny."
Well I'm already laughing - gimme the game already!

Only 5 days prior to the release SE revealed requirements:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/..._of_an_Elusive_Age__Digital_Edition_of_Light/
Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 32 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1080p 60fps
Won't comment the hardware listed - what's most important is that finally someone wrote the game can run 60 frames per second on PC.

If the game is upsetting SJW, then its huge plus in my book!

I have not heard of Dragon Quest before but I saw the video and I really really like the look of and feel of it :) I got the same warm and cosy feeling as watching some of those old cartoons on Sunday morning still in bed when I was kid.

Now the question is should I get for PC or PS4? What do you think Joxer? :p

GMG is doing deal for PC at £30 but cheapest Ps4 is £37 but it will have resale value if i don't like the game, hmm…

Edit: just noticed 1080p 60fps. I am on 3440x1440 so that means it will have black borders? If yes, then PS4 ...

And does it say anything about keyboard/mouse interface ?

A review for PC version (finally) appeared:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/test/909483/dragon-quest-xi-le-jrpg-old-school-sans-concession.htm
It's not some quality review IMO. No details and most important, no word on rumored 30FPS lock nor about possible problems with controls.
Pardon my french, used google translate and if it translated at least half correctly, the game is all peachy except horseracing :)barf:) and pisspoor menus.

------------------------------------------------

A comment from IGN:

Well I'm already laughing - gimme the game already!

Now the question is should I get for PC or PS4? What do you think Joxer? :p

Edit: just noticed 1080p 60fps. I am on 3440x1440 so that means it will have black borders? If yes, then PS4 …
What black borders? Resolution there is related to frames per second, not smart TV with 3d and "features" ment for pacifying and brainwashing people, not for gaming.
Thus ebay ps4 and buy the game on PC.

Back
Top Bottom