The Outer Worlds - Play Your Way

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameInformer talked with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarksy about how The Outer Worlds lets you play your way.

While the story does have choices and characters at different places along the good/evil spectrum, The Outer Worlds isn't necessarily about picking a moral alignment and sticking to it. 'It's not "here's the good choice, here's the bad one,'" Cain says. "Instead, it's like, 'You could this or this. This will cause X, this will cause Y. You decide what you care about.'"

"But it's not always extreme gray areas," Boyarsky clarifies.

"What if the more evil choice has an obviously better outcome?" Cain says. "What if more people are saved by the evil choice? But it's evil! But the result is better! Is it a worse choice? I don't know if you can solve morality with arithmetic, but there are some things in the game where you're like, 'I am not sure if this is bad.'"

[...]
More information.

No comments?
Well... Interesting read to me as it clarifies how the c&c will work in the game. The only unanswered question is - the save system. Is it save anywhere or stupid checkpoints again.

Will be getting this game and hopefully it is save anytime,not checkpoints or auto saves,whatever they call it..

If you can only save at checkpoints, combined with first person only game play, it will be off my list completely. As it is the 1st person is already a big blow against it. But still interested in it. Could be a lot of fun.

Oh, they call it 'space Fallout'. Hope it will be cool because I already like the idea and 76 was a total disappointment.
Anyway, the characters in the trailer look awkward, but the whole picture is beautiful.

If you can only save at checkpoints, combined with first person only game play, it will be off my list completely. As it is the 1st person is already a big blow against it. But still interested in it. Could be a lot of fun.
I feel the same. There's still potential, but I'm not particularly hyped.

I'll be shocked if they implement a checkpoint-only save system in a game like this. I just don't see that happening.

I was already shocked when they did it in some other game before so I never bought it. Apparently, the shock that caused "it's Obsidian so I should, but... no buy" wasn't only mine.

I bet they will change the save system after reading this thread. Personally I don't mind checkpoints. There are much more critical systems they need to get right.

Obsidian still thrives on the massive amount of credit they obtained from new Vegas. Just hope they will fix their animations and character control. Always had an irrational dislike of the look and feel of their engine.

They won't change anything.
The only thing they could do after reading posts on this forum is releasing Josh Sawyer's things rebalanced mod just for sakes of trolling some of us who hate rebalancings till doomsday.

I was already shocked when they did it in some other game before so I never bought it. Apparently, the shock that caused "it's Obsidian so I should, but… no buy" wasn't only mine.

The only game from Obsidian that I know of having a checkpoint-only save system is Alpha Protocol, and that was by design because of the C&C in that game.

I'm also not a fan of check point save systems, but I'll wait till the game is actually out before grabbing my pitchfork. Sometimes I can work with them, but for the most part I far prefer a game where I can quit and save immediately when the urge strikes me.

Heh, you guys and your "I will not buy this if..." statements. I suppose you're hoping the vendor will read these.

Who cares about vendors these days? I'm hoping modders will read.
I mean… If modders didn't fix (read: remove) respawns from FO4, I'd never finish it, never 100% achievements (vanilla game) and would never have a positive word for it.
Vendors suck.

Back
Top Bottom