Starting world of Xeen soon, any recommendations?

There are some caves you can explore in the lava area that are quite challenging, but quite fun, too. Also, annoying little tax collectors. grrrrrrr.

EDIT: The hydra-things are only on the DS, I think.

It was one of these:
mm4_great_hydra.jpg

I think I found the hydra that you thought about in DS though. It looked more hydra like, although it was called a Gamma gazer.

I don`t find WoX particularly long in gaming time. Yes it is quite long but not even near M&M6 or Wizardry 7 for example. I remember finishing it in three days with some 30 hours gameplay time. That was the second walkthrough. Don`t remember for the first time but shouldn`t be more than 50 hours.

Really? I played the games ages ago when I was still at school and had time for gaming. It took me something like 6-8 weeks at 3 hours minimum per day and often much more. I was quite the completist back then though. ;)
I have no idea how one can finish both Xeens in 50 hours without using short cuts or exploits.

MM6 is still the most massive game I've played. It takes bloody ages to complete.

MM6 is still the most massive game I've played. It takes bloody ages to complete.

Are you talking about the main quest, or all the content as a whole? I've heard MM6 is huge, but is it really larger than something like Morrowind?

I'd have to say Morrowind is the largest game I've played. That doesn't include games that use map\dungeon randomization, like Daggerfall.

If you play Morrowind as a sandbox game, it's not really a fair comparison because MM6, while remarkably "open" for its day, is still driven by discrete goals. You can't spend hours putting together the perfect placesetting (fork on the right, remember!) in MM6. Strictly based on quest time (combining main and sides), I'd say MM6 beats MW.

Aye, clearly not something for beginners characters to face. Once my party reached level 30+, they became an easy source of XP (with day of protection). A lot of DS quests/monsters gave a whole lot of XP, so it felt like my party became very powerful really fast.

I'm now done with the games (got all 3 endings). While I did spend a lot of time playing the game over the last few days, the game was still considerably shorter than expected. The puzzles were good though (in particular the DS puzzles).

My characters are all in their late 40's, with one exception, my robber is at level 50. I ran out of money though, and all my characters have the experience needed to level up (probably several times).

Only late 40's? Well that's consistent with finishing so quickly... I suspect there are lots of areas left unexplored/not uncovered. I had to reveal pretty much the whole map...

Yea, there is still a lot of unexplored ground, and near the end I were teleporting between a fountain that gave +2500hp & the dungeon that I was in constantly, else my party would get wiped out. But I ran out of money (other than a small safety buffer, for healing/resurrecting party members), so I could not level up my characters much further. I'll do some more exploring though.

I had to sell everything I didn't have room for. Lots of lloyd's beaconing back and forth to town, and moving money into the bank. Yes, OCD, once again. Also, there is a guy you can work for in a DS town. I worked for years, while putting wages in the bank, the interest piles up quickly, it's important to have a few million in the bank already.

I never worked in WoX, because I was afraid of the whole age thing. I should probably see how high my level can rise if I spend a year or so working.

Yeah, I was too, but I gained 15 years or so without harm. Just had to make sure I used spells for moving around as much as possible, so I wouldn't get older much through exploration.

Really? I played the games ages ago when I was still at school and had time for gaming. It took me something like 6-8 weeks at 3 hours minimum per day and often much more. I was quite the completist back then though. ;)
I have no idea how one can finish both Xeens in 50 hours without using short cuts or exploits.
It can been done quite easily. I am too very much a completist. Finished all quest, explored all world, solved all puzzles... OK. Maybe I exaggerated a bit for the first run. I guess it should be some 70 hours. But if you already know all puzzles, best equipment and where to go for the second run. It can easily be finished in 30 hours with no cheats or exploits.
On the other hand I find most games from early nineteens to be quite short when I replay them. For example I remember Eye of the Beholder series took me quite a time to finish. Replayed them last year and finished them in 5 days. Maybe some 30 hours pure gameplay time.

I've recentely started playing this, too. As long as you've got a thiefy type, two pure casters, and some backup casters you seem to be alright. I was also advised to explore Clouds before heading over to the Dark side, so I can't really comment on any special needs the second game has.

It takes a while to get used to the gameplay, but once you do it's quite a fun game. :D

Thanks to Gog I am replaying WoX and have reached a frustrating sticking point in Darkside. In the fourth level of the dungeon of lost souls lever puzzle, it is not working the way both my memory, and all the online walkthru's I can find say it should. The second lever is just coming up as "STUCK". Any ideas?

Thanks for the link Thrasher, I will check it out. I do, however still have the original clue book in my library and it was of no help in this. :-(

Back
Top Bottom