West of Loathing - Review @ Bleeding Cool

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bleeding Cool has reviewed the Western RPG West of Loathing:

This Paper Town Ain’t Big Enough: We Review ‘West Of Loathing’

I really love playing games that don’t take themselves too seriously. Not so much to the point of breaking the fourth wall (with some exceptions who get it right), but at least taking whatever genre they have and making fun of the idea while also making it an interesting game. The Kingdom Of Loathing was one of those games where you got to play an RPG in a stick-figure world where it poked fun at the genre and some of the absurdity of it, but also gave you a great adventure to embark upon. Asymmetric has now created a sequel of sorts called West of Loathing, which I happily got to play for review.

[...]

West of Loathing is one of the best indie titles of the year, hands down. It’s an awesome experience and made me want to go back and play it again, choosing a different horse and side character. Even with its flaws, this was a fantastic experience with great replay value, as no two adventures can be the same once you make the early choices. I loved playing it so much that I didn’t care how many hours I spent glued to the screen. I highly recommend it both for the humor and the gameplay. West of Loathing is a must for RPG fans, and something so simplistic in nature that casual gamers will enjoy it, too.

Score: 10/10

More information.

I played the prologue in the weekend and it was awesome. This is a really good light RPG with a lot of humor.

I have my eye on this but haven't decided. A few folks here thought it was too simple.

I have my eye on this but haven't decided. A few folks here thought it was too simple.

The combat is very simple, but the quest design is more interesting than most AAA games, for example. You don't have quest logs, so you basically have to look for items to complete quests and sometimes trade them. It might be simplistic, but the writing is very fun.

I'm playing it, I figured I spent so much time playing the original Kingdom of Loathing without ever spending a cent that I owed the developers a game purchase.

It's a fun, unique game. Combat is reasonably simple, but some fights do still require some thought, and there are a lot of skills and abilities to develop. But it's more the adventure/exploration part of the game which shines.

Ultimately it's a really unique game that I can't easily compare to any other. I'm sure people might love it or hate it.

10/10? Because the unique quest system is awsome and although the rest of it stinks?

It's like 10/10 on almost full black screen in Dark Souls clones just because a reviewer adores it's grind system although everything else is plain garbage in that game.

Usually I'd buy a game that tried something different. In this case, out of protest to this and similar reviewers, I refuse to even touch it. Troll someone else Bleeding Coo!.

Was that your only joke or do you have a queue of them?

While I never discovered Kingdom of Loathing, I must admit this game already appeals to me. One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the stark black/white contrast, and that it may be hurtful on the eyes after lengthy periods of time. It's possible they've accounted for this by default in the options menu, who knows.

The slapstick humor is a big plus in my book.

I can't believe the reviews this is getting. From the videos it looks like a sidescroller/jrpg hybrid.

I never found Kingdom of Loathing all that deep, so I'm can't figure out what the fuss is about.

While I never discovered Kingdom of Loathing, I must admit this game already appeals to me. One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the stark black/white contrast, and that it may be hurtful on the eyes after lengthy periods of time. It's possible they've accounted for this by default in the options menu, who knows.

Well at some point you do unlock nostalgia mode, which lets you change the black and white to be more yellowish and grainy.

Back
Top Bottom