Sorcery! - Review @ TSA

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TSA has reviewed the Sorcery! collection:

Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Review

A time long ago, when video games had to be painstakingly loaded from a cassette tape, it was the 'Choose your own Adventure' book that was geekdom's King. These interactive stories allowed readers to embark on a fantastic quest and decide the fate of their dungeon crawling hero. Multiple responses to any dangerous situation were available and it was up to the reader/player to decide upon which course of action to take and then flip to the corresponding page. Steve Jackson, one of the greats of this genre, has now seen his work translated to video game form in Steve Jackson's Sorcery!

Though there were many pretenders to their thrones, it was the interactive books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston that truly caught the imagination of teens across the country. Heck, I was one of them, devouring the Fighting Fantasy series, which integrated dice-based role playing into the tales. I missed out on Steve Jackson's 'Sorcery!' series, though, which was aimed at older readers and must have simply passed me by. This new video game adaptation gave me the chance to set that right.

Released over four separate chapters on mobile phones and Steam from 2013 to 2016, Steve Jackson's Sorcery! has finally made it to console in this complete special edition, and boy-oh-boy is it amazing.

[...]

Summary
If interactive narrative adventures are your thing, then you won't find a better experience than Steve Jackson's Sorcery! This is a glorious achievement, epic in scope, crammed full of meaningful choices, and tremendous fun to play. Highly recommended.

Score: 9/10

More information.

However elderly it makes me sound, the Sorcery! books are still MUCH better than the computer game reviewed here.

Sorcery

I would also prefer is there was a more accurate version available like the Fighting Fantasy Classics that tinman does. Perhaps one day.

Back
Top Bottom