Torment: Tides of Numenera - A New Take On Combat

It matters to me because if I pledge in excess of $100 then I'd prefer if a developer keeps true to their word. I'd like to be able to trust in their promises. I prefer not to feel and be treated like a stupid fish who can be baited with lofty promises that are worth fuck all. Or to be treated like Lando Calrissian when Vader altered the deal.
But that's me… YMMV. My consequence is clear. No more crowdfunding for me, especially not inXile.

Mmm, that sort of thing isn't unique to crowdfunding. You should also avoid voting, buying a vehicle, paying in advance for home repairs, expecting a perfect date, thinking miracle cures will work, or purchasing a book based its the cover. At least it was only $100 this time.

Typical. More broken promises because they advertised the CE as "backer-only" during the Kickstarter.
Well, I learned my lesson some time ago already. I will never support anything crowdfunding ever again.
To be correct, they promised the existence of a backer-only CE. That doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any other. The reward overview even promises only a backer-only CE box (read: design). But I agree, it's well written and during the whole euphoria you can easily miss that slight difference. It's no secret that I was negatively surprised by some decisions afterwards, too. Unfortunately there is no other one to blame than my own wishful thinking. For me, that's the most annoying aspect. When you're not satiesfied with your reward, that's a bad thing. As a result I'm also not going to support any other inXile game during crowdfunding in the next time. It started with Wasteland 3.

I'm still looking for the new take on combat. :)

To be correct, they promised the existence of a backer-only CE. That doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any other. The reward overview even promises only a backer-only CE box (read: design). But I agree, it's well written and during the whole euphoria you can easily miss that slight difference.

Well, I don't think there is much to be misunderstood looking at the tiers (see attachment).

It says "backer-only CE boxed copy", not "backer-only CE boxed copy design" or something ;) .

Besides, if the list of contents in the CE is still accurate then early backers are once again getting the short end of the stick (as if it wasn't already short enough :biggrin: ) because the CE on their website contains a lot more goodies.
People who were NOT dumb enough (congrats!) to buy the CE via a pledge get a figurine, a talisman, an in-game item and a printed traveler's guide, all of which CE backers are not getting according to the list.
The only bonus that backers are receiving over regular CE buyers is that we get mentioned in the credits (wow!).

At least for physical tier CE backers, this Kickstarter was honestly one of the worst deals in the history of gaming. As a CE backer you 1) are now getting the game 2+ years late (let's see when they start shipping) and 2) you had to witness how early access $45 buyers got preferential beta access over your $100+ pledge and 3) you now get a non-exclusive second class stripped down CE compared to people who just waited for the game to be finished.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 65
Boxes aside, those are some interesting new ideas. Looking forward to giving them a spin. Maybe I can even forgive there being only 3 attributes. :)

Hmm, combat wasn't too bad. I want to see how much talky-talky there is before I take the plunge. Torment bored me to death. Reading should always be optional. If characters talk while you are moving from location to location, that is acceptable, but I don't want to stop the action to read.
For a game like Doom perhaps, but for a RPG reading should NOT be optional. Now, lore books and what not should be of course, but quests shouldn't be reduced to 'go to marker and kill the mob there'. We keep complaining about RPGs MMO style quests, and yet you are asking for just that.

They can go and seek funding from someone who is not me :) .

What? The reason I liked BF more than Rogue was because BF had an actual story and characters that weren't as flat as Kate Moss' tits :biggrin: .

It matters to me because if I pledge in excess of $100 then I'd prefer if a developer keeps true to their word. I'd like to be able to trust in their promises. I prefer not to feel and be treated like a stupid fish who can be baited with lofty promises that are worth fuck all. Or to be treated like Lando Calrissian when Vader altered the deal.
But that's me… YMMV. My consequence is clear. No more crowdfunding for me, especially not inXile.

You could also pledge as little as $15 instead for most games....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kickstarter collectors edition has a cloth map, this new one only has a printed map.

The main reason I backed was so the game was actually made! I must admit though it would be nice to have the statue, who knows they might include it, i'd even be happy if you had to pay another 10 dollars for it.

Well, I don't think there is much to be misunderstood looking at the tiers (see attachment).

It says "backer-only CE boxed copy", not "backer-only CE boxed copy design" or something ;) .
"backer-only CE boxed copy" doesn't mean "the only CE version that will ever be sold". It only says there is going to be a CE version, that it backer-only. Everything else is interpretation.

For the rest I'm with you. It's a quite expensive "I've been here first" cover design.

For a game like Doom perhaps, but for a RPG reading should NOT be optional. Now, lore books and what not should be of course, but quests shouldn't be reduced to 'go to marker and kill the mob there'. We keep complaining about RPGs MMO style quests, and yet you are asking for just that.

Not at all. I'm asking for balance. PST was chock full of nothing but dialog. You'd have a 10 minute conversation "no voice, just text" with one guy, take three steps, and have another 10 minute conversation with the same person or another. It was the least active game I've ever seen. I think that there are many folks who view this with rose-tinted glasses. Gaming has massively evolved since PST. It was never very good, but it is horrible by today's standards. PST would be called a virtual novel today, not a crpg.

I hope this spiritual successor is a better game. I don't expect it to be, but I hope so. I may end up buying it some year if it is.

If you don't like this style of RPG then why not just skip it? They made this game for the people who like PS:T. I don't disagree that it's similar to a virtual novel, just saying that that's kind of what they were going for...

Kickstarter collectors edition has a cloth map, this new one only has a printed map.

Ah, the cloth map. I must have it, at any price.

Not at all. I'm asking for balance. PST was chock full of nothing but dialog. You'd have a 10 minute conversation "no voice, just text" with one guy, take three steps, and have another 10 minute conversation with the same person or another. It was the least active game I've ever seen. I think that there are many folks who view this with rose-tinted glasses. Gaming has massively evolved since PST. It was never very good, but it is horrible by today's standards. PST would be called a virtual novel today, not a crpg.

I hope this spiritual successor is a better game. I don't expect it to be, but I hope so. I may end up buying it some year if it is.

I get that you were disappointed by PS:T. It's hyped to no end by RPGWatch and all RPG sites (with or without valid reason), so you probably got it to see what the fuzz was about and didn't like it. This time is different, you know exactly what you'll get, so if you don't like that, just don't bother buying it.

Back
Top Bottom