Warlock of Firetop Mountain - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TouchArcade has reviewed the Warlock of Firetop Mountain:

'The Warlock of Firetop Mountain' Review - Warlock Has Changed

Ever since prolific gamebook developer Tin Man Games acquired the Fighting Fantasy license a few years back, there were a couple of releases many fans were waiting for. Tin Man has done a wonderful job of choosing books to adapt from the well-known line, but the more they released, the more a couple of titles really stood out by their absence. Well, I don't know when we'll see Deathtrap Dungeon, but if it turns out anything like The Warlock of Firetop Mountain [$4.99] has, I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

[...]

Essentially, what Tin Man has done with The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is to transform the classic gamebook into a single-player role-playing board game, one that comes with its own colorful storyteller and several modules to vary the experience on multiple playthroughs. The presentation is sublime, the considerable amount of new content has been implemented carefully and respectfully, and the mechanical changes sand off some of the original gamebook's harsher edges. I would have been quite happy had Tin Man done their usual fine work on a straight conversion of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (and that is indeed on its way), but this is something altogether different and more special.
More information.

Going to play this eventually. Love the book. I don't think it's very long though?

Thanks for posting this review, HiddenX. It is getting close to being a good time to revisit Warlock. There's a DLC with new characters and new parts of the mountain to explore coming out soon. Perhaps I'll update the review thread when this comes around with more information.

As far as length goes, I've put in 26 hours and completed the game with around 6 characters, so whilst it is short, replays are encouraged due to the individual character quests in the game. I agree too Saxon1974, the book is a classic. :)

I played the Nintendo DS Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Pretty cool game. First-person action-RPG, sort of like a mini Elder Scrolls but in a dungeon setting. I have a video for it on my channel if anyone is interested.

I stumbled on your video Fluent , when i was looking for some Warlock letsplays in order to decide if i shall buy it or wait. Some hardcore gaming, there :)

Not too hardcore, I hope. I want to try and strike a better balance. :p

That DS game is much different than the one being reviewed here. The DS one is pretty cool, and I imagine it's easier when you build your character well (something I didn't do for the short video I made.) Also, the video I made is horrible. Not sure what I was thinking by adding all those windows/images to the screen. Live and learn, I guess. :p

Back
Top Bottom