Final Fantasy XV - Preview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Watcher checked out the upcoming Final Fantasy XV:

We play the PC version in Maximum Settings, in First-Person, with Mouse & Keyboard controls!

Final Fantasy XV, the latest game in the long-running franchise, is coming to PC next month at long last. We got to play an hour of the Windows Edition early and wanted to do something unique to the PC version, so we played Final Fantasy XV on PC in Max Settings, with Mouse and Keyboard, in First-Person Mode. That’s with all the Nvidia stuff on too. Now that that’s sorted, let’s go on a little quest to hunt a big monster that’s been harassing Chocobos.

[...]

We returned to the Chocobo Ranch to claim our prize and, more importantly, to ride the Chocobos. The second we climbed on one in First-Person we, honest to god, laughed. We were sitting on a giant chicken. Yes, we’ve ridden Chocobos in Final Fantasy games before, but never in first-person with such superb animation and texturing. Its yellow feathers ruffled everywhere as it moved, and just having it trot forward with its head going back and forth was hilarious – and that was before we pressed the Jump key and watched it flap its wings. For the rest of our playtime we just ran about the landscape with our Chocobo, flapping everywhere we could, having the time of our lives. Who needs cars? Or third-person? Or a gamepad?
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I'm not normally a Final Fantasy fan, but they seem to have pulled out all the stops with the PC version. If it plays as good as it looks (Happy days), I might download the demo first or just jump in a pre-order.

For what I know, the story in this game is trying to lower your IQ.
Won't be the first game like that on my PC, but that hair will - I'm buying.

If you mean chocobo, I'll try to barbecue them all. I hate those GMO chicken.

I plan on giving it a try, but I need a new HD first. I'm not giving up 170GB of space on my current SSD for this game.

Holy jumping great Ceasar's ghost, that's a lot of hard drive space for one game. This is when being able to select what audio/graphic features you want in advance would be most appreciated.

170GB of space
You planning on playing the game on 8K so you need new Doom/Wolfenstein textures?
Holy jumping great Ceasar's ghost, that's a lot of hard drive space for one game.
Don't listen to him. He got eyes on some unoptimized alpha demo.

100+ I still don't believe till I see. With presented visuals in vids I expect max 100 as PlayStation version (full) is almost 90.

Anyway, a demo should appear in a few hours.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/637650/announcements/detail/1661137104726728365
*The main difference to the product version is that sub-quests have been disabled.
If I'm reading right it should be a full sized download so we'll know if it's 170Gb really.

And now I have a problem. Jump onto ToCS2 or this. As it's FF game it means excessive grinding, anyone heard if someone will make norespawn mod?

Last edited:
I think Final Fantasy Zodiac is perhaps the first Final Fantasy game that I never had to sit somewhere and grind for an additional amount of time. I've had some tough, challenging battles with nameds but nothing that I couldn't handle with a few quick changes on the fly. I'm hoping this new game is a lot like Zodiac, but I'm also prepared to severely lower my expectations.

They are doing everything pretty great for PC with super graphics, mod support, and even giving us both tech and playable demos. All the secondary checkboxes are getting checked. That just leaves the central question: is the game actually fun??

I think Final Fantasy Zodiac is perhaps the first Final Fantasy game that I never had to sit somewhere and grind for an additional amount of time.
Well that's ironic - Final Fantasy 12 was the first game where I learned that I needed to grind. I would just zip on through, fighting what ever was in front of me, until I got out into some desert and found myself just too low to deal with the place. I played it again (eventually) and this time I stuck around in each zone to complete my kill quota or whatever it was that got you full statistics, which generally meant going through the area at least twice. That made it far more survivable but also a lot less fun.

I know the Zodiac version changed some things about the game. I'm glad to hear that's one of them.

Thanks for letting me know about the demo. DLing it now. 18.7 GB.

EDIT: Runs nicely on my rig at 4k and "highest" settings.

Last edited:
I didn't play Final Fantasy Zodiac Age when it was originally released, but I'm in some area now called Pharos (or something close to that), which seems to have several stages in it. My main guy just hit level forty nine, the other two are like two levels lower, and I've had no real problems in here so far. The one think that does cause me issues is any creature that does disease, I've only a few serums left and no spell seems to touch it.

Back
Top Bottom