HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted the Solasta's Summer Q&A:

Summer Q&A - The Recap

Hey there folks!

Here is a recap of the Steam Summer Festival Community Q&A session that took place on Discord on Friday June 19th, during which anyone was free to ask us any question they had in mind - which were answered either by me (Myzzrym, Community Lead), Zaz (Gameplay Director) or Archimat (Creative Director and CEO). Enjoy your read!

General Gameplay (#01 - #20)
Q01: Are there any major gameplay features planned that aren't shown or hinted at in the demo?
Myzzrym: Hmmmm that's hard to say, there are just so many. There are very few skill checks in the demo, verticality is mostly hinted at through spiders, there is no city, no faction system and I could go on and on....

Q02: Huge and larger enemies, are we going to see some giants or big dragons? Also with the verticality being a thing, will we be able to climb on top of these giant enemies?
Myzzrym: There will be large enemies indeed. As to climbing on their back, it would be cool wouldn't it! Unfortunately that's a whole lot of animations and special rules to be made just for that, and I don't believe we'll have the time nor the budget for it!

Q03: What portion of combat encounters are avoidable, by one mean or another?
Archimat: Reminder that this is a Tactical RPG - meaning combat is VERY important in our game. Just think of how short XCOM would be if you were able to avoid all the fights! You will be able to bypass some fights by sneaking around or talking your way out, but those are the exceptions and not the rule!

Q04: Are there going to be able battles where fleeing is the only option?
Archimat: I'm not too sure about that, but there ARE some fights where you win by surviving long enough! Of course if you go attacking some monsters that are far too powerful for you, we'd still suggest fleeing to fight another day

Q05: Does the game have random encounters? Can you grind to overcome a difficult fight (be it level, money/gear, consumables)?
Zaz: You will have random encounters, but we're trying to find a way to avoid too much grinding - you shouldn't be able to grind too much above what's planned

[...]

More information.

I like their focus on the content they have settled to and that they try avoid making the game too long. Most RPGs are too long these days and end up so buggy that you cannot play them the first years after release if you value your own time. At least if you have time to play only occasionally. 30-40 h enjoyable high-quality content is perfect.

The Q&A demonstrates they know the game they wanna do, and specially, the game they can do. E.g. you can see from their answers about "Max level" (question 9) and "In-game Romance" (question 27).

That's a lesson not all small, indie teams manage to properly learn, heck sometimes even big studios developing AAA games with AAA budgets fail to have a clear vision of the games being produced.

I backed them as soon as the KS campaign started, no doubts and no regrets. In the end I believe we'll have a little gem here. Please Tactical Adventures, keep the focus and bring it on!

While it's great to hear they have clear goals, I'm still disappointed with too limited class variety, especially since devs want this to be a tactical game with lots of replayability. Hope they will add more classes post release other than sorcerer (free DLC).

I enjoyed the demo for the most part. Liked the combat options and the party interactions. Didn't like the camera, had a real hard time getting it to navigate the different levels. Also didn't care for the dark areas that required torches. While it may be realistic, an entire game of torch and light management doesn't sound very fun.

Just demo impressions though. still plenty of time to tweak the game. I'm looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom