Into The Breach - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy-RPG Into the Breach is now available:

Into the Breach

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL.

Key Features:

• Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
  • Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
  • Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
  • Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!
More information.

Too much good stuff coming out these days. No idea how to play it all.

I know. First day purchase but I'm still having fun with Slay the Spire, which isn't even fully released yet.

Guess this thread is as good to post this as any other ^^

Started playing this game last week. While it’s certainly not an RPG and doesn’t even have considerable RPG elements and also isn’t close to the atmosphere FTL offered, it’s a very well made strategy/tactics/puzzle game.

However calling it a puzzle game can be a bit misleading as puzzle usually implies that the circumstances are fixed and you have to find the best or even only solution on how to beat the puzzle. The game is extremely dynamic though, and there are lots of ways to solve the situations.
Into the Breach as a very limited scope, but very dense mechanics and decision-making, which makes it that “puzzle-like”. A bit like chess, but with fewer characters, more complex attacks and a completely different situation each turn, but with multiple movements within one turn, meaning while you need to think multiple moves ahead, but not multiple turns.

Like in FTL you are going from battle to battle, just that there are now turn based and much more complicated. You have 3 units with very distinctive attacks, and have to kill alien units, which also have very distinctive attacks and have reinforcements during the short matches which only consist of 5 turns. In addition you have different targets in each level and also power plants to protect, which basically serve as overall “hitpoints”.
While your units act immediately when you plan their actions, enemy units will move in their turn and then telegraph what they will attack at the start of their next turn. You have to think about how you can be most efficient by killing these units and avoid unit and building damage, which is often done by pushing units around instead of killing them.

It's a great game, but as mentioned not an RPG in any way. Also it’s so tense that I wouldn’t recommend it if you want to play something to relax after work. It’s basically like playing chess, just it feels like every turn is a completely random setup of the chessboard which you need to “decipher” first, to find the best solution for this very turn.

It's not? It's a videogame?
I'm buying then even if I can't find time to play it.

Back
Top Bottom