Expeditions: Viking - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are a bunch of reviews (minus the ones we already reported about) for Expeditions: Viking, highlighting a review with the lowest and highest score.

The Low

Cubed3, 5/10

The real issue for Expeditions: Viking is simply whether or not someone is a fan of this older style WRPG experience. This offers very little to stand out from the crowd in this regard and modern gamers may be put off by various UI issues, or the heavy stat dependence. However, for those who liked these kinds of games, it sticks true to the recipe and the different resolution of quests is interesting to see. Trying different builds or dialogue options gives the potential for replay. One of the major things currently weighing it down is the various issues outstanding, matters that seem like more rigorous testing was required or something that comments from players would fix in a future update. The potential for a pretty fun game is present, but at this stage is still at least a patch or two away from being great.

The High

Strategy Gamer, 5/5

Expeditions: Viking is an awesome game and a great addition to our ever-expanding library of Turn-Based Viking RPGs. It breathes authenticity, it offers fast and brutal combat, and the options that you are given are truly fun. It's a game that's hard to save scum or to put down. I can't wait till the creators take us to new places, like the colonization of Africa or China. After all, they have shown that they have the deft touch needed to show what things happen when different worlds meet during expeditions!

The Rest

More information.

Strategy gamer, 5/5? Does Fluent write for them? :p

Wow the cubed3 review mostly focuses on the type of game it is. It just gets a bad rating because it is oldschool and stat-heavy and not like the more modern streamlined games (without any depth)…..WOW

Thank god it isn't.

Cubed3 RULEZ!! 5/10 A true score!

However, for those who liked these kinds of games

I wonder if they've put the same score on GTA5 stating that those who despise racing games (which includes me) have absolutely no reason to buy GTA5.

A pair of 5's. Wow!

Strategy gamer, 5/5? Does Fluent write for them? :p

Where is Fluent? I'm going to start a new thread. He hasn't posted since April 13th!

Some are complaining about long load times but I haven't seen any lasting longer than several seconds. Of course I have an SSD but it seems like any serious PC gamer should have one these days if they're worried about seeing loading screens... A reasonably sized SSD isn't very expensive at all any more.

As for technical issues I haven't really experienced anything serious yet. It has crashed maybe twice (when moving to new areas) in all the hours I've been playing it, but I know some players are supposedly getting frequent crashes, including during big battles.

I'd say after a few patches this will be a great game. It could certainly use some more polish but many of the complaints are stuff that I am sure Logic Artists will fix. It is already playable but I'd suggest waiting just awhile to be on the safe side... Or maybe buy it now since you get the 10% launch discount but just familiarize yourself with the character creation and don't dive into it until a few more patches are out.

Insane isn't really that hard and the camping mechanic is not as interesting as it was in Conquistadors (food doesn't seem to really be scarce... really the only resources I find I actually need to trade for are hides and wood...)

I'm already hopelessly addicted and on vacation so I will probably at least keep playing until I complete it w/ my warrior.

Hmmm so basically everything that is good about this game is listed as a negative by Cubed3. What idiots.

A pair of 5's. Wow!

Where is Fluent? I'm going to start a new thread. He hasn't posted since April 13th!
He has finally left his parent's basement. Now that he has seen the Sun for the first time, he is not willing to go back.

Bless him.

It is already playable but I'd suggest waiting just awhile to be on the safe side… Or maybe buy it now since you get the 10% launch discount but just familiarize yourself with the character creation and don't dive into it until a few more patches are out.
Exactly what I did/am doing!

I think if there are technical problems with the game, it's legitimate to call them out in reviews. That's where most of the criticism is landing. Yes, these issues will probably get fixed, but they're still issues and obviously if your game is going to get reviewed at all, it's going to be on release.

I wonder how many more bugs would be eliminated with a traditional (*cough* paid *cough*) Q&A system as compared to 1,000 volunteers, who after all are merely playing the game, not trying all different permutations in order to break it.

Steam early access is better IMO, as it allows to read reviews from people who already contributed.
People who already contributed desire the project to get complete. They praise projects at start to attract customers (they calculate that the more money funnelled to the project, the more likely it is to be successful)
Later on, when the plug is pulled, they revise down their assessment.

This gives outcomes like praising products with excruciating bugs to later shoot them in flames even though the bugs were removed.

Check wartile. It's a boardgame like tactical strategy.
Compulsory to add it is real time. Even if it comes with light requirements.

I am so disappointed of kickstarter lately. Success rate is about 50%.
Wooo that's rude for you, I wonder how you achieve it, what's the list?

I suppose I'm a lot more aware and skilled for analysis but my achievement would be more 90-95%. :)

Well, I have played 6 hours without encountering any bugs/crashes.

I love the game's reactivity. After having saved someone, they actually turn up at your base, and potentially give additional quests.

I am sure it could use some more polish, but all in all, a really good game.
Once I finish this playthrough, I will wait a few months and play again I think with the intention to be a trader rather than a raider.

I believe my last save is right around the six hour mark, I'd just gone to some town a bit south of where I'd started. Think I'd just found some burned out house when a friend mentioned he'd lost all his saves, and that's when I saved and logged. Having saves vanish is where I draw the line.

I believe my last save is right around the six hour mark, I'd just gone to some town a bit south of where I'd started. Think I'd just found some burned out house when a friend mentioned he'd lost all his saves, and that's when I saved and logged. Having saves vanish is where I draw the line.

Maybe wait until 1.0.3 but it's certainly stable now for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom