90+% people have social networks account

And like all internet sites, they promote account ownership rather than account use... ;)

Heck, I probably still have a Myspace account, if I didn't but know it, and Bebo. Damn, if I could just remember those 8 year old passwords I never wrote down and could remember the email addy and it's passwords for that account...

I had a facebook account once, but it got banned for having a fake name. I got 'gifted' a Google+ account when Youtube got raped by Google and still haven't figured out how to separate them and dispose of the useless addition to my Youtube channel.

So yeah, of course 90% of people have accounts, most people will try anything once. Maybe one day people will start quoting usage figures rather than no. of accounts figures, oldest internet trick in the book.

http://www.globalwebindex.net/blog/93-have-a-social-media-account

According to that site, me, and hopefully not just me here, is the minority who can't stand different facebooks, twitters and similar stuff thus never made an accoun on some of those.

I would like to think that number is high, but I fear it might be low.

I don't understand it myself, why anyone would want their life's to unfold for everyone to see. I don't have any of those accounts, facebook, twitter, snapchat etc.
Though these sites are making it easier for employers to find out a lot about person before hiring them or a finding a reason to fire them.

The survey used to find this information was given over Facebook with a +/- 10% error factor.

I would like to think that number is high, but I fear it might be low.

I don't understand it myself, why anyone would want their life's to unfold for everyone to see. I don't have any of those accounts, facebook, twitter, snapchat etc.
Though these sites are making it easier for employers to find out a lot about person before hiring them or a finding a reason to fire them.

It's probably accurate, but not really useful. A more useful stat would be how many people have been active in a social network account in the last 30 days.

I have two FB accounts, my real one which I haven't used in like 3 years, and a fake one I use when some contest or promo requires a 'like'.

What people not using social media don't seem to understand (and actually people using them often don't understand as well) is that you do not have to give out personal details.

I mean previously I used an RSS reader a bit to read the news articles of my favorite news pages. Now I just follow them on facebook.

You can have an account on facebook and just follow your favorite podcasts, in my case
-Insert Moin
-Spieleveteranen
-Retrokompott
-Stay Forever

And you can also follow your favorite game studios, or ones which seem to make interesting games, like I am following:
-Bumblebee
-Crafty Studios
-Stellaris
-Might and Magic
-Master of Orion
-Bards Tale
-Wasteland
-Avernum
-Expeditions Series
-Numatian Games

And many, many more.

So you could use Facebook for example as great ressource page without having a single "friend". And even when having friends it's up to you which info you publish there and which you don't.

So all in all, reading facebook isn't that much different than reading RPGWatch news and writing a comment to the one or another article.

What people not using social media don't seem to understand (and actually people using them often don't understand as well) is that you do not have to give out personal details.

I mean previously I used an RSS reader a bit to read the news articles of my favorite news pages. Now I just follow them on facebook.

You can have an account on facebook and just follow your favorite podcasts, in my case
-Insert Moin
-Spieleveteranen
-Retrokompott
-Stay Forever

And you can also follow your favorite game studios, or ones which seem to make interesting games, like I am following:
-Bumblebee
-Crafty Studios
-Stellaris
-Might and Magic
-Master of Orion
-Bards Tale
-Wasteland
-Avernum
-Expeditions Series
-Numatian Games

And many, many more.

So you could use Facebook for example as great ressource page without having a single "friend". And even when having friends it's up to you which info you publish there and which you don't.

So all in all, reading facebook isn't that much different than reading RPGWatch news and writing a comment to the one or another article.

The trouble with that is that eventually the pages that you follow will accumulate and constitute enough information to triangulate a lot of things about the real you and what you are interested in.

It's the same thing with YouTube and why I don't browse with an account. Because eventually I will start wanting to keep track of local things, like a local baptist church's YouTube pages where sermons are posted, or a local network of traditionalist Catholics. It quickly becomes enough to spot who you are and to reveal your most intimate thoughts and interests.

It should change to 90+% of internet users, which is a huge different compared to 90+% of people.

BTW, if you want to spoil Google's privacy-munching party, use this search instead.

https://search.disconnect.me/

It gives you Google search results, but made anonymous and untracked. There's also a search plugin for Firefox,to make it your default search.

BTW, if you want to spoil Google's privacy-munching party, use this search instead.

https://search.disconnect.me/

It gives you Google search results, but made anonymous and untracked. There's also a search plugin for Firefox,to make it your default search.

Well, I guess google is going to try to find a way to kill that thing… because it also removes advertisements and sponsored links.

If we want a free search engine with the quality of google, then google have to earn some money. So using this would kill google searches in the long run, just like ad-blockers is killing a lot of revenue. I totally understand people want privacy and I believe google should offer it. But using software and/or sites that completely removes ads is actually killing the free internet. I for one prefer ads to having to pay $0.01 or whatever per search.

I'm very happy for Google and other websites to operate on ad revenue. I just don't think the cross-site profiling of our activities to better target the ads is necessary or justified. Just serve the ads according to each search or the nature of the site, with no tracking, and I will support them. While they insist on abusing our privacy, I'm happy to pressure them into changing their ways by cutting them off.

I have no doubt that they could still turn a handsome profit without the intrusive degree of tracking.

I prefer Startpage and DuckDuckGo.

Startpage has used Google results for years and years and Google does nothing about it.

I'm very happy for Google and other websites to operate on ad revenue. I just don't think the cross-site profiling of our activities to better target the ads is necessary or justified. Just serve the ads according to each search or the nature of the site, with no tracking, and I will support them. While they insist on abusing our privacy, I'm happy to pressure them into changing their ways by cutting them off.

I have no doubt that they could still turn a handsome profit without the intrusive degree of tracking.

In that case we are in total agreement….

I am fully engaged in social media for a variety of 'social' reasons - family, friends, running, music, games. Mostly it is Facebook and Instagram, with some SnapChat with wife and kids and not much else (occasional Twitter & Tumblr).

I make no pretense that my information / pictures / etc are secure or private, any more than should anyone with a GMail / Hotmail / Yahoo mail account, or any smartphone, or who participates on any forum or shops online or does online banking or ... Well, you get the picture. On the Internet, what is sold is YOU - especially with a company like Google with almost no 'product' for sale but billions in revenue.

Back
Top Bottom