The TV Series discussion thread

a pibbur who thinks a world where everybody only liked what he liked would be a terrible place.

Haha - so very true. Different tastes lead to more variety. We watched one episode of Devs ... son was enthusiastic, wife had no interest, I was in between. So we never watched another. Oh well. :)

After 8 episodes I certainly got "weird and wild", although I can understand your view. Fair enough, I guess this series wasn't for you…

The plan is to go back and at least finish season 1. But I tend to watch one TV series at a time and I was getting through maybe one episode every couple days. I have a lot of time to kill these days, so I needed something that clicked with me.

a pibbur who thinks a world where everybody only liked what he liked would be a terrible place.

Agreed. I like the connection that comes with shared interest in a show/band/game/whatever but that's only meaningful if it's not always the case. Variety is, for me, truly the spice of life. At least when it comes to the media I consume (not so much in my day to day habits)

Tapped out on Dark for a while. Eight episodes and it's still just time travel paradoxes, '80s soundtracks while someone marvels at the fashion, and lots of sad interpersonal drama stuff. I was promised wild and weird and I haven't gotten it.

Ok, I take the fault here since I advised you to watch the entire 1st Season of Dark.
In fact, as I told you here before, the series goes way beyond "the missing children". They are pivotal to the series (especially Mikkels/Michael) since they put the plot to work. But, of course, the whole series is still about time-traveling so this "feature" can't/won't be left behind.

Yes, you still have to take note of a large number of characters, who's who across the time, and their relationships and this can be not a pain in the ass, but a headache, instead :) I sometimes had to pause it and talk to my wife about the last time a certain character was seen, what he/she was doing. I think it's a great story and I liked the way it ended. I would rate it 9 out of 10. I can't give a full 10 because I didn't like the way a certain crucial passage was told (in 3rd Season), but to avoid further spoilers I won't say now what it was.

Last edited:
Dark is easily one of the best shows I've seen in recent years and in the top 5 for Netflix exclusives imo. It does have a very distinct vibe though, and I could see how it might not gel with everyone.

Personally, I found Dark rather dull. Once you get past the novelty of time paradoxes and remembering who is related to whom, the show just feels like it's treading water and going nowhere. I watched seasons 1 & 2 and I will eventually watch the final third but mostly out of idle curiosity to see how it all wraps up.

Just finished Mr. Robot. What a mind-fuck! Loved it! Did not expect it to end like that. Highly recommended!

Also, it seems it was all very meticulosly planned out, and not improvised. Given what you find out in the end, it gives new meaning to loads of stuff happening throughout the season. Great stuff!

Last edited:
Personally, I found Dark rather dull. Once you get past the novelty of time paradoxes and remembering who is related to whom, the show just feels like it's treading water and going nowhere. I watched seasons 1 & 2 and I will eventually watch the final third but mostly out of idle curiosity to see how it all wraps up.

And in its dullness it is still damn good. :)

Yeah. Time paradoxes, in and of themselves, don't interest me much. I needed more. At the point I stopped there were some unanswered questions, but they had been unanswered for 6-8 hours already and it didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The acting is good, the moment to moment writing, the visuals, the use of music. It's a well made show. But I need more than "oh shit, he just met his 10 year old dad" to stay engaged.

I did feel like I was mostly keeping up with who was who. I do admit to checking the Wiki at the beginning of a few scenes to remind myself.

I finished Devs yesterday. I very much enjoyed it, though the last episode was kinda lackluster imo. I read a lot that the show is very slow, but I didn't think so until that last episode.

Mister Robot was fairly good, I thought it a bit weak in the end but still worth watching.

Weak? Weird. I loved it. Did not expect it at all.
And it gives sufficient new dimension to most scenes that I plan on going back and rewatching it some times in the future.

I finished watching Netflix's Reckoning, another police drama with serial killer and boring teenagers. Also starring a lot of unnecessary, unresolved plots. I *could* rate it an average score if…

If it weren't for the last sentence spoken in the last minute of the last (10th) episode. Aaargh! How the fuck did the detective know that? How did he discover the serial killer's true identity? Go figure, it isn't explained at all. Deus Ex Machina?

Started Doom Patrol season 2. Season one was one of the most enjoyable superhero related shows I've seen, and season 2 has that same energy so far.

I finished watching Netflix's Reckoning, another police drama with serial killer and boring teenagers. Also starring a lot of unnecessary, unresolved plots. I *could* rate it an average score if…

If it weren't for the last sentence spoken in the last minute of the last (10th) episode. Aaargh! How the fuck did the detective know that? How did he discover the serial killer's true identity? Go figure, it isn't explained at all. Deus Ex Machina?
Ouch! That's almost as bad as...
..."Fortunately it turned out to be only a dream".

a pibbur who wonders if there are watchers who (unlike him) don't read the spoilers.

So I liked Dark very much. Now, what? (=recommendations, please)

FYI: I prefer sci-fi and horror, not so much fantasy, and I'm not too happy with social drama (which there certainly was a lot of in Dark, but that one had soooo much else that was good, so I was able to ignore it).

a pibbur who obviously especially wants to know what the 13th JDR thinks.

PS. I'm currently watching "Travellers" (3 episodes so far), it's OK, but not exceptionally so. DS.

Last edited:
a pibbur who wonders if there are watchers who (unlike him) don't read the spoilers.

I never read them if it's for something I haven't seen yet. I will avert my eyes if I start to read something that looks like it might be heading into spoiler territory too.

I never read them if it's for something I haven't seen yet. I will avert my eyes if I start to read something that looks like it might be heading into spoiler territory too.

I hate you!! :)

a pibbur who actually (but unwillingly) admires people who (unlike himself) are disciplined (not meaning punished).

Pibs, you might enjoy Vagrant Queen especially if you liked Guardians of the Galaxy. I could also suggest Wynonna Earp which currently has just begun season 4; it has more horror elements. Others have previously mentioned The Orville (sp?) which is fun!! :)

I just watched the 1st Season of American Horror Story (yeah I know, I'm 9 years late). Overall I thought it was a good show, I only think the Season Finale is a bit of stretch.
Instead, I would prefer the series to have only 11 episodes, with the 11th perhaps having an extra 10-15 minutes telling, in short, the same finale that was told in the 12th. Even so, I'd rate the 1st Season a good 8.5 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom