NWN2 Protecting The Watch's Informant

Neverwinter Nights 2

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Holy hell, I hate this quest. I can only imagine that the informant is dead if there are five-god-damn-billion rogues hidden in his house, taking turns sneak attacking his mangled corpse. Now if I could stop pulling my hair out and cursing up a storm, I'll get back to the game.

The quest is a mess yes. Both that quest and the warehouse quest are tedious and simply boring if you ask me. They should reduce the number of thugs in there to stop it from being too repetitive.

The outcome of the quest might seem cool, but then.. it's not.

Thank thank you. Not only me that dread this "House of the hundred thugs".
I don't really see how one can think this "adds" anything to a game. It seems it's there for one reason. Make the game longer.

I have entered the place were the informant are and i can't kill the main villain in that room. How on earth do you do it? In between the incredible starting/exiting bug introduced with 1.02 i am seriously thinking of stop playing. Because, the engine for NWN2 isn't suited for hacknslash games. I am so frustrated right now. The game went from high praise to low, thanks to the warehouse and this "quest" (or meaningless, pointless, no good filler).

Shrug playing this game again, knowing this quest are there? No...

But, how on earth is this villain supposed to be beat? Should i have a wizard with me? Paladin, Warrior, Rouge and Druid don't work. I got my ass kicked.

is there a way to not do this quest at all and still be able to carry on the campagin? If it is i will take it.

Yes. I am frustrated... and perhaps my view somewhat darkened! :)

I have entered the place were the informant are and i can't kill the main villain in that room. How on earth do you do it?

It was the last room I hit, so I had just rested, hasted everyone and buffed, had Qara toss a fireball and ice storm as soon as we got in, and then my Pally went at the villian while everyone else mopped up. Pretty simple.

The force there seemed like a full-on assault rather than an abduction. It would have been more realistic if half of the force was corrupted Watchmen that the command assumed was there protecting him ...

I rested as well before hand. Changed my Druids spells to alot of heal and some summon creature. I then knocked the thugs down pretty easily and after that it was just smashing along at the main villain using my druid casting healing spells and my rouge shooting arrows. I did it, but it was close. No fighting afterwards has yet been so tough like this.

I think its alot of stuff right know makeing me frustrated and its not all about "bad" desgin. I agree with you about the force and they should have done it more "realistisc" ... the way you say, sounds good to me. :)

Yeah I hate people whom can dodge my Fireballs and take NO damage, jerks! ;)

I used Stoneskin on everyone, used a Nuke they can't dodge Ice Storm once before everyone got in the room and sent Khelgar on Moria, one casting heals and sheilds and the last 2 on the 2 guards.

I agree with you about the force and they should have done it more "realistisc" ... the way you say, sounds good to me. :)

That was what they did in the alley, so it would have fit perfectly ...

I just got to that one and goddamn it's *stupid*. What a grind. I haven't quite finished it yet, but here's my tactic that I'm pretty sure will get it done (playing as Economy Crumble, my gnome wizard):

(1) Set up shop in entry hall.
(2) Send familiar in.
(3) Shadow Thieves of Amn notice a cat, and immediately all proceed to fall upon it with howls of rage.
(4) Cat hot-paws it back into entrance, where adventurers ambush thieves with fireballs followed by much clobbering.
(5) Rest, rinse, repeat until no more Shadow Thieves of Amn show up. (WTF do they have against cats anyway?)

Mobs can work in quests, but not all the time, and there should be some logic to them. Mobs of high-level people are very rarely credible; mobs of high-level people doing really trivial things *AND NOT SUCCEEDING* are even less credible.

It makes me wonder if they Evil side has it better for this one, not that I will be trying it out but its possible.

I guess this and a few other "beat and kill 100 whatever" battles are to give you xp. I did enjoy trying out various tactics to see what would get me out with the least "you fail, you are dead" messages. lol

Stoneskin on everyone is a great recipe to win most difficult fights in NWN2.

Yup, and a good reason to have a bard tag along. Their ironskin chant makes a lot of difference.

By the way, I originally had my doubts about the "only die if everyone dies" mechanic, but it's actually kinda exciting. I had a pretty tense gameplay stretch when I stumbled into a bunch of orcs in a dungeon, got overwhelmed, and then got split up, with most of my party unconscious in different parts of the dungeon. It was quite exciting to sneak and fight my way through that, even more so because I hadn't saved for a quite a while. ;-)

Again, I find ambushes work great for these tough mob battles. Set up in a room with your tank at the door, the rogue hidden to the side, and your spellcaster(s) in the background. Then send in someone to lure them into the ambush. Usually you can get two fireballs in before they enter melee, which will have weakened them severely. Things just get tricky if the game spawns enemies behind you as it sometimes does. (IMO that's cheating; there are better ways to set up tactical challenges if you ask me.)

I completed the 2nd phase of the final boss with one character(Khelgar as a monk) running around all alone, regenerating, attacking a bit, running around, and so on.. in the end I got the others back up by eliminating enough of the enemies, and pulling the rest away from my characters' corpses, healed them all up, and saved the day. Phew, what a fight!

I have to say, I like the the whole everyone-needs-to-die-before-I-reload thing, makes fights like the one described above really intense.

Yes, I have had a few battles like that, and it is exciting. You are the last of your team, you hide, you heal, you now slowly try to pick off your remaining opponents, collecting their potions to keep you going. Finally you can get back to your troops, beaten and dying, and get them all out, in a temporary defeat, but alive. And ready to fight again.

Things just get tricky if the game spawns enemies behind you as it sometimes does. (IMO that's cheating; there are better ways to set up tactical challenges if you ask me.)

Yes, I hate that too, bands of orcs appearing out of thin air where your party was standing just a moment ago. Very poor design, imo.

"IMO that's cheating; there are better ways to set up tactical challenges if you ask me."

Count me in here, too!
One of the weakest design's possible.

Things just get tricky if the game spawns enemies behind you as it sometimes does. (IMO that's cheating; there are better ways to set up tactical challenges if you ask me.)

It's funny, perhaps it is just my years of FPS experience, but while I agree with you I am so unphased by enemies spawning any random ol' place that it just isn't funny ...

It happened all the time in NWN 1, and when I DM a session, it can happen quite a lot!! :biggrin:

Enemies in NWN2 are spawned by trigger points, not actually spawned out of the thin air. It might seem like they respawn in an area you just cleared, but in fact you just stepped on some other trigger point or had a bit of lag when passing the trigger point so they appear a bit after they are supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom