Yakuza - Turn-Based RPG Going Forward

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IGN reports that SEGA plans to keep Yakuza a turn-based RPG series and make Judgment the action series.

Ryu ga Gotoku Studios has officially announced Lost Judgment today, a sequel to its action-mystery 2018 title. For fans who miss Ryu ga Gotoku's action-style, Judgment will be the franchise that carries that torch as Yakuza transitions into a turn-based RPG.

In an interview with IGN ahead of today's reveal Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi and producer Kazuki Hosokawa confirmed that Judgment will be Ryu ga Gotoku's action series pillar, while Yakuza evolves into a turn-based RPG after the success of Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

[...]
More information.

Seems backwards considering that Judgement stars a police investigator or whatever and Yakuza is, well, Yakuza. But what do I know.

Having played both series (ie. Judgement and Like a Dragon) I have to agree with you JFarrell77. Thematically, turn based / tactical fights would make far more sense in a detective/investigation game, esp as the main character is supposed to be more thoughtful than his more action-orientated yak buddy.

However, the investigator is ex-yakuza himself, so I guess the action is appropriate too.

Am playing Like A Dragon on-and-off at the moment. It isn't as fluid as the action-combat, and there are rather too many random-ish street fights (as there were in Judgement, I suppose, but with action battles you could run past more easily or finish them in seconds).

Ultimately I think they designed themselves into a corner. By making Like a Dragon turn-based, rather than waiting for Judgement2, they have effectively taken one series in one direction, and left the other unchanged. To do a complete reverse for next games would be odd, although frankly changing Yakuza to turn-based in the first place was odd (but made me try the series!).

So the ninja assassins I sent to Gotoku demanding a "make a turn-based Yakuza or die!" were successful!

Back
Top Bottom