Retro Remastered - Year of the JRPG

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Retro Remastered recently published an article calling 2016 "The Year of the JRPG". With releases like Tales of Berseria, it's a good argument to make. In all fairness, though, 2017 seems a bit more deserving of the title, since western audiences won't see a lot of those hyped releases till then.

Thanks, Couch!

There’s a lot of exciting games and releases this year covering all genres, across all platforms and devices, however perhaps the biggest note worth taking is the stunning surge of JRPGs. After most of the main series seemed content to spin in circles for a few years, all of a sudden we’re getting new titles from pretty much every landmark franchise, alongside a wave of curious smaller titles. So whether you need help planning out your purchases for the year, or just want a reminder of what’s coming (and what’s already out there), here’s a whistle-stop tour for those of us who live to level up.
Read more.

More information.

We may not see a lot of these until next year but we're seeing a bunch of re-masters pop up on our platform!

I have a bad feeling about this.

And that makes me a very happy panda.
I'm finding I enjoy JRPGs more than current 'open world' RPGs we normally get in PC. Maybe I'm just not an explorer (I finished Fallout 3 in a couple of days, like 30 hours played while most played it for over 150 hours). Maybe it's because I play them from the comfort of my bed with a 60" screen and a 5.1 surround system instead of sitting close to a 21" monitor with crappy 2.1 speakers. Maybe I like lighter fantasy typical of JRPGs instead of the usually darker themes in cRPGs. Whatever the reason, I find myself much more excited over Persona 5 than what I was over Fallout 4 or even Witcher 3.

And maybe you have a hidden love for oversized eyes and exaggerated display of emotions that makes you ignore everyting bad in those games. You woldn't be the first…
:D

To make us believe that's not the reason, try some anime title from anime thread and tell us it sucks. :p

And maybe you have a hidden love for oversized eyes and exaggerated display of emotions that makes you ignore everyting bad in those games. You woldn't be the first…
:D

To make us believe that's not the reason, try some anime title from anime thread and tell us it sucks. :p

tyra-banks-quiet-gif.gif

And that makes me a very happy panda.
I'm finding I enjoy JRPGs more than current 'open world' RPGs we normally get in PC. Maybe I'm just not an explorer (I finished Fallout 3 in a couple of days, like 30 hours played while most played it for over 150 hours). Maybe it's because I play them from the comfort of my bed with a 60" screen and a 5.1 surround system instead of sitting close to a 21" monitor with crappy 2.1 speakers. Maybe I like lighter fantasy typical of JRPGs instead of the usually darker themes in cRPGs. Whatever the reason, I find myself much more excited over Persona 5 than what I was over Fallout 4 or even Witcher 3.

That's a really good point. That makes me excited to finally get a mounting kit for the flatscreen TV we got and never used. :) Playing stuff on that will be a whole different experience than sitting up with my face glued to my computer screen.

I just got a 27" gaming monitor, some of these will play quite nicely.

Maybe I will grab one of these and hope I can play in 4k on my 55" 4k monitor. 😁 I think the Monster Hunter game is the one I'm looking most forward to.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

If Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV would come to PC, it would make my year. I'm very hyped about those two games, but I don't have a console. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom