General News - Why Relaunch Prey?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Game Informer they ask why relaunch Prey? Click here to watch nine minutes of gameplay from Prey.

As it happened, Bethesda owned the Prey IP, which seemed like a solid fit for Arkane's new game. Or, at least, the name did. "We felt like, at its core, we liked the basic idea of Prey and what it represented in terms of aliens and you being hunted and on the run," says Pete Hines, vice president of PR and marketing at Bethesda. "And we thought it was a cool name. If you remove for a moment the notion of any game called Prey previously, we just thought it was a cool name that evoked what this game was about. In the discussions we had with Arkane, they were like, ‘Look, if we can do everything that we have planned and whatever we want and not be beholden to anything anyone has done - shipped or canceled - and just reimagine what Prey means going forward, then we're totally on board for that."
More information.

Id tap that, looks like a System shock/dishonored style game

So why buy the IP if it has nothing to do with the previous game? Is it getting to the point that common usage words are now claimable as a some sort of intellectual property.

As far as the game they are making it looks like it will be interesting but I suspect it will be a while before it releases.

Nifty. While I can, generally speaking, live without frenetic teleporting phantoms, I like the recycler/fabricator mechanic, and that glue cannon is spiffy. I liked the jaunt into space outside the station. Personally, I'd rather hang out there than inside with the phantoms. Guess I'm getting old. :p

Wow ... I had been ignoring this up until now, definitely will give it a shot!

So why buy the IP if it has nothing to do with the previous game?

There was a proper sequel in the making that was officially cancelled in 2014 by Bethesda, but there was rumor they had switched to Arkane in 2013. This new Prey probably started as a "reboot", but at some point the setting was altered.

:rotfl:

Seriously, though, this looks pretty good to me. Much more appealing than some of the bigger upcoming titles.

What Mercy said.
I would rather have the Men In Blackish Space Alien open world Bounty hunter game versus the 8-10 hour shooter.Which looks kind of like a Half Life Ripoff. Did they not do their marketing? Poll fans? The humour alone would have made it insta-buy for me.
What part of the success of Borderlands did they misconstrue?

After reading the comments in the second video by the guy who use to work for Human Head, it rather looks like Bethesda is the new EA and killed this IP.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the original Prey and shooters aren't my thing these days, but an open-world bounty-hunting game does sound more fun to me.

The link below offers a nice summary of the dead Prey 2 project in the first third of the video, before it moves on into the public dev/publisher fight and ends with editorializing by our narrator in the last third. Who knows if they were pulling it off, but the original concept is more interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKw_VUuZjCE

I don't know anything about the original Prey

An IMDB synopsis would look something like, a Native american janitor named Tommy goes after aliens who abducted his girl :D

Pretty comic

And you say californian hipsters in tyranny suck.

well Prey is funny in a bad 80s movie way… Nothing wrong with that..
so why is this (bad) analogy important? Is it because I used the same word (comic) ? :D

Back
Top Bottom