Planescape: Torment - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Watcher Dark Savant found this Planescape: Torment review on Hardcoregaming101:

Warning: this article contains major spoilers for Planescape: Torment, including references to the game's ending.

The worlds(s) of Planescape

When any piece of fantasy fiction is compared to Dungeons & Dragons, it's rarely a positive thing. Despite the influence and popularity of this famous pen and paper RPG, if a setting is described as 'D&D-like', you can expect it to be a generic fantasy story with races borrowed from Tolkien, an assortment of evil beasts, a few evil overlords with magical powers and a society that superficially resembles medieval Europe. Despite the perceived lack of originality, one of the game's possible campaign settings is the strange and unique multiverse of Planescape.

Planescape could be described as a 'meta-setting': it combines all the other worlds of D&D (most - but not all - of them are different parts of the universe known as the Prime Material Plane), adds different universes for the Greek Pantheon, Valhalla, Christian demonology, the Divine Comedy, four classical elements and a few other things. The whole multiverse is a setting of conflict between order and chaos - its most extreme form is the eternal Blood War between two evil races: 'lawful evil' baatezu (devils) and 'chaotic evil' tanar'ri (demons). In the center of all this lies the neutral plane of Outlands, from which other universes can be accessed. In the center of Outlands stands an infinitely tall Spire, on the top of which floats the city of Sigil laid out on the inside of a torus. Sigil is the 'City of Doors': every door, window or arch is a portal leading to a different plane - as long as you have the right key. The city stays neutral in all major conflicts, but it is itself a battleground for different factions (inspired by those in Vampire: The Masquerade), closely watched by the mysterious Lady of Pain - both a ruler and a prisoner of Sigil.

[...]

Best cRPG ever?

Planescape: Torment is probably the best counterpoint against the claim that non-linear, branching narrative is inherently worse and somehow less 'artistic' than the more directed structure. Whether you play the game as a man seeking redemption, facing the consequences of his actions and accepting death, or as a cold and cruel egoist using everyone around him to reach his goal, Planescape: Torment is a great story. It's a perfect example of what branching, segmented narrative can achieve when placed in the hands of good writers and combined with a great engine and a memorable audiovisual style.

The game is not without weaknesses: The interface is not as good as it could be, the combat is tedious (especially in Curst) and some of the puzzles required to finish the game can be annoyingly vague - at a certain point, you need information that can be only extracted from a wizard, who doesn't want to talk to you unless you give him a piece of candy; while he clearly indicates that he wants candy, nothing in the game implies that you need to talk to him, he's in the area which can only be accessed by members of a specific faction and the particular candy can only be bought from one place in the whole game. But ultimately those flaws are pretty minor considering the game's great writing, fascinating story, memorable characters and high ammount of non-linearity.

Planescape: Torment deserves its place in the canon of the best cRPG games ever created. The game receives constant praise among the fans of the genre and none of it is undeserved. Its lasting appeal is a testament to the genre's immense potential and to the ambitious and creative nature of the late 1990s PC gaming scene. It's a game built on the idea of 'avant-garde fantasy', which doesn't shy away from difficult themes - and it does it while still being simply fun to play.
More information.

"at a certain point, you need information that can be only extracted from a wizard, who doesn't want to talk to you unless you give him a piece of candy; while he clearly indicates that he wants candy, nothing in the game implies that you need to talk to him, he's in the area which can only be accessed by members of a specific faction and the particular candy can only be bought from one place in the whole game."

Uh, you're directly told that Quell has the info you need if you ask around, and it's not exactly hard to find the chocolate. It's not like there are tons of stores in "the whole game". You also don't need to be a Sensate to get in if you bluff the guard. Seems weird to nitpick that part. If someone were flummoxed on how to progress here, I don't see how they would have an easier time with more obtuse parts like the brothel.

"In the center of Outlands stands an infinitely tall Spire, on the top of which floats the city of Sigil..."

Wait, what? The infinitely tall spire has a top?

"In the center of Outlands stands an infinitely tall Spire, on the top of which floats the city of Sigil…"

Wait, what? The infinitely tall spire has a top?

Yes. It means that if you try to climb the spire you will never reach the top.

Never played this. Have heard so much hype about it that it's bound to disappoint.

The solution...

Treat the game as a garden variety D&D campaign that's pretty well written. Expect weird. Expect aesthetic differences. Enjoy it like you would a bizarre story and reserve your judgment on the "high-art" people like us place on the game. Give it its chance as a pulp, rather noire work rather than a painting in the national gallery.

Never played this. Have heard so much hype about it that it's bound to disappoint.

It's definitely worth playing through at least once. Although it might not have the same impact now that it had 15 years ago. The gameplay leaves something to be desired, but the story and setting should be experienced by anyone who's even the slightest fan of D&D.

It could really benefit from the EE treatment imo, and I'm still hoping Beamdog can acquire the rights.

Is it really a rights issue? I thought it was an engine issue as with Icewind Dale 2 which seems to have modifications that make it much more difficult to make an EE. Does anyone know if Beamdog ever made an official statement regarding the reasons for not doing PS:T EE (and Icewind Dale 2 EE... I'm not entirely sure if I picked up the technical reasons bit from an official source)?

Could just integrate into some different directions and call 'er a day.

Integration using infinitesimals is infinity in the denominator. :)

Back OT, the UI and some of cinematic spells are different from the infinity engine. So not having the source code could be problematic.

Is it really a rights issue? I thought it was an engine issue as with Icewind Dale 2 which seems to have modifications that make it much more difficult to make an EE. Does anyone know if Beamdog ever made an official statement regarding the reasons for not doing PS:T EE (and Icewind Dale 2 EE… I'm not entirely sure if I picked up the technical reasons bit from an official source)?

Beamdog never said they wouldn't make them, I think people are being a bit impatient. They released one game per year since 2011 outside of 2015 because SoD was delayed. Trent said that these two games were quite different engine-wise to the others and that it was more complex to do.

Beamdog already has PS:T source code might I add.

Ah nice. Then it's just more work. Looking forward to seeing it released in EE format. That's one I will buy, since the original had some serious performance problems on newer PCs.

That's one I will buy, since the original had some serious performance problems on newer PCs.

I can confirm that this is a thing of the past. I reinstalled the GOG version a few days ago and followed this excellent guide to PS:T modding.
The game runs flawless at half my native res, i.e. 1280x720 instead of 1440p. I chose +80% for the scaling and the text is perfectly readable at that setting.
A true EE would probably improve upon this quite a bit but the game is absolutely playable thanks to the awesome efforts of several great community members :) .

The GOG version is not the original version I have. :)

In general, I've had hit and miss luck with the GoG versions, and zero support when games haven't worked properly. So now I stay away from paying extra for the GoG versions when I have the originals. And tinker on my own.

Beamdog never said they wouldn't make them, I think people are being a bit impatient. They released one game per year since 2011 outside of 2015 because SoD was delayed. Trent said that these two games were quite different engine-wise to the others and that it was more complex to do.

Beamdog already has PS:T source code might I add.

While I really wish Beamdog can work on PS:T and IWD2 EEs (they are probably the two that needs facelift more than any other IE games) but I doubt that it will happen. After SoD, they might have different commitments/developments on horizon.

I really liked this game but sort of like Arx Fatalis some of the quests take being obtuse way too far. I don't need my hand held but there should be ways to at least extract hints from NPC's or something. The Candy example here drove me crazy. Reminds me of the damn birthday present in Arx Fatalis. In the end I reluctantly quit Torment because once you hit a walkthrough you kill the only reason you are playing Torment in the first place. After reading the Candy solution I determined I never would have come to that conclusion and threw in the towel. Just my take on things. Brilliant game in places but in the end too clever for its own good.

Back
Top Bottom