Morrowind - OpenMW 0.39.0

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
OpenMW v0.39.0 has been released. A full change log is available at the OpenMW site. You will need to own Morrowind to give it a try.

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.39.0! Grab it from our Downloads Page for all operating systems. This release brings background cell loading and caching, which is a feature not to be missed. Initial support for object shaders has found its way back into our engine, and a host of bugs have been smashed. See below for the full list of changes.

The venerable Atahualpa has bravely stepped up to fill WeirdSexy's boundless shoes as our video producer, check out the video for this release and OpenMW-CS 0.39.0. Check our blog or Youtube channel if you missed his videos for versions 0.36, 0.37, or 0.38.

More information.

True. As soon as they get shadows back in, I'm switching over permanently even if it's before 1.0. I've been playing a little 0.39 and it's so close I'm tempted to switch anyway. (damned shadows)

I don't agree with a few of the things they've "fixed".

If I'm understanding him correctly, they've made it so that enemies will now respawn inside of dungeons as soon as you leave the dungeon instead of after a time period. I don't understand why they would change that.

They've also made it so that a negative status effect now wears off instantly when you kill the enemy who inflicted it. That makes no sense to me.

I'm amazed how much effort people put into things like that. I love Morrowind, so who knows, maybe I will try this out sometime.

I don't agree with a few of the things they've "fixed".
Perhaps I misunderstood, but to me it sounded they just changed things to how they were done in the vanilla game, while OpenMW had handled this differently before?

Perhaps I misunderstood, but to me it sounded they just changed things to how they were done in the vanilla game, while OpenMW had handled this differently before?

Dungeons don't repopulate immediately in the vanilla game. I'm not quite sure about status effects, but I think each one has a fixed duration unless cured.

I think he was talking about a bug in 0.38 thats now been fixed in 0.39 so that monsters won't respawn now because they were in 0.38.

I think he was talking about a bug in 0.38 thats now been fixed in 0.39 so that monsters won't respawn now because they were in 0.38.

This was my understanding also. Incorrect behaviour in previous version now fixed to match vanilla MW.

He's claiming that status effects being instantly removed upon killing an enemy was standard behavior in vanilla Morrowind, but that's not the way I remember it. Even if that's the case, it doesn't make much sense.

I did misunderstand him about the respawns. He's saying that in 0.38, creatures would never respawn in dungeons if you left their corpse behind. In the vanilla game, creatures would respawn in 72 hours.

It also sounds like he's saying creatures will respawn instantly upon leaving a dungeon in 0.39 if you dispose of their corpse. I hope that's not the case though.

Quite amazing how passionate people are…

First of all we have Morrowind overhaul.
Then there is Skywind (Morrowind for Skyrim) and the development seems to be going quite well.
Ofcourse the earlier project Morroblivion (Morrowind for Oblivion) is still progressing as well.
And then we have Open Morrowind.

Imagine if all these project guys put their creative heads together and focused on one big project? :)

I've often dreamed of a game series that as part of each iteration it (as an option) upgrades the parts before it. So you install OB and it upgrades to MW to OB, then install Skyrim and the previous 2 also get upgraded to the same engine with updated assests, mechanics etc. I say optional because not all new iterations of a game line meet all fans desires but it'd be pretty cool to build a world like TES over the years into something bigger and bigger.

I think I read somewhere that NWN2 was going to have a NWN1 > NWN2 conversion utility bit it was cut.

I imagine it all nigh impossible thing to achieve though. Still I like to ponder such things.

Back
Top Bottom