Obsidian Entertainment - The Summer of Proposals

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer tells us about Obsidians game ideas during the 'summer of proposals' back in 2012.

Everyone has a drawer they can't close because it's stuffed too full of things. Mine has a whisk which always stops the bloody drawer from closing, and it's really annoying, but Obsidian Entertainment's drawer has around 100 game proposals in it. Game outlines in various states, from two-page snacks to 60-page feasts. "There's tons of them," Obsidian co-owner Chris Parker tells me. And for Obsidian there was never a time of greater need of an idea than summer 2012, after Microsoft cancelled Xbox One launch game Stormlands, and when South Park: The Stick of Truth was onboard THQ's sinking ship. It spurred a period now referred to in Obsidian history as the Summer of Proposals.

"We probably went through about 10 pitches that summer," Parker says. There was a Justice League game pitched to Warner Bros., there were two separate Might & Magic games pitched to Ubisoft, one smaller, one open-world. But the proposals Obsidian really remembers are Prey 2 and Warhammer 40K.

"Prey 2 everyone was really excited about," Parker says. This was before Dishonored developer Arkane set to work on a Prey reboot (released this year). This was in the aftermath of Bethesda shelving Human Head's Prey 2. "Ours had more ties to the old Prey," Parker says. "You're a human bounty hunter and you've gotten transplanted to where all the aliens are. You're a badass bounty hunter in this sci-fi setting."

Mechanically it was exactly what you would expect from Prey, a first-person shooter, married with what you would expect from Obsidian, a role-playing game. There was to be a big hub where you could interact with all sorts of different people, for example. On the surface it sounds a lot like where Human Head was going with Prey 2 - be a bounty hunter on an open alien planet and improve powers and gadgets along the way - but Obsidian was apparently never told much about that game. "[Bethesda] were very close-lipped about what was going on with Human Head," Feargus Urquhart, studio co-owner and CEO, says. "They had a specific 'what they wanted the game to be' - I don't actually know if that was what Human Head was working on or not."

[...]
More information.

Interesting article -- documentary. All those different Obsidian projects and proposals. You hear so many success stories where people say they were just at the right place at the right time. What this Obsidian article tells us is more the real truth -- you gotta be in lots and lots of places, at lots and lots of times -- to have a chance of being in that unpredictable 'right' place at that unpredictable 'right' time.

Gotta keep pitching. Keep swinging. Sooner or later something will likely connect.

__

Gotta keep pitching. Keep swinging. Sooner or later something will likely connect.

__

I love Obs, but I'm not sure that's the best strategy. It's better to focus on projects suited to your strengths ( and foster public recognition for it), than spread out in every direction...Obsidian doing Justice League?
I remember an interview with one of Arkane's main developers( think it's that Ricardo fellow, behind Prey) who talked about this.

The great thing for them now is that they own their own IP (PoE). So, they can do all kinds of stuff. It gives the a great deal of freedom.

Back
Top Bottom