What games are you playing now?

Same as before for me. There is a lot of territory to cover and little quests in ME:A. Havarl got a bit tedious with the freezing… And a fair amount of ESO PvP.

Any other suggestions for an old-school CRPG fan?

How about Realms of Arkania, i.e. the original Northland trilogy, or Might & Magic VI or especially VII? Those are -objectively, of course :biggrin: - far and beyond the bestest of the best pre-Y2K old skewl RPGs. Word.

M&M VI is a thought. I played a bit of it and really liked it. I played the remake of RoA Blade of Destiny and liked it well enough.

I think I'll add M&M VI to the list of possibles. Thanks!

Oldies for Fluent:

Excelsior: Phase 1 Lysandia
Nahlakh
Yendorian Tales Book 2 or 3
The Magic Candle Trilogy
Keys to Maramon
Amberstar
Sea Dogs
Stone Keep
Gods Lands of Infinity

Thanks 'nut, even if I never heard of 75% of that list. :D

I think I'm going to keep playing Dead State. 'nut, I thought my run was already getting repetitive, but I'm starting to find new companions and some new events and areas are opening up. So that's cool. I like the writing and how their personalities are developed too. Game is alright so far.

Hey Fluent, how far into Dead State are you? Its a game I really wanted to enjoy but I only lasted four hours before the turn based zombie battles were boring me rigid. I wondered if it got better further in - I could imagine some dynamic events at the base might liven it up a bit.

That's the thing, the early parts are almost painfully slow. It's starting to pick up now. I'm 16 hours in according to Steam but I had to restart a few times because I started on Hardcore/Ironman/PC Infection and got creamed while I learned the game. I've got the hang of it now and it's better.

I'd say at the 10 hour mark it starts to get better. We started meeting real people we could recruit, interact with, etc.. Starting to be able to slowly build things, and new options are opening up. Companions at the school are having new things to say, and having to manage morale and "events" in the school is *just* starting to become something meaningful. The array of weapons and items you end up finding starts to surprise a bit, too. I like how there is strategy to the load-out and how you want to fight. Combat becomes more interesting against tougher enemies, noise becomes more of a factor and on and on. The stats and numbers become more meaningful as well.

I'd say if you can stick out the first 8-10 hours or so, it starts to get better. I'd recommend playing with those 3 options turned on as well, since you're a veteran RPG player. Don't be surprised if you lose a companion here or there, and it's okay if you do. I think the game is good and a sequel would have uber amounts of potential.

I'd also recommend checking out the manual as well. There is more depth than I realized or knew at first. I am starting to really like the combat, too. Not sure why people think it's bad. It's just as interesting as Wasteland 2's once you start picking up a variety of attack items, weapons, modifications, etc..

Thanks Fluent. I'll add it back onto my list and have another go at some point (when I feel I have the patience for such a slow start!)

Played a bit of the Destiny 2 Beta on PC. It's overall quite good. Gameplay is very tight, and the PC version is very nicely optimized. The first campaign mission was ok, and I was surprised that I actually liked the main antagonist, Ghaul. He seems like a generic bad guy, and in some respects he is, but he's voiced quite good. I like him.

Also played the strike mission in Destiny 2, along with 2 other random players, and we continually got wiped at the final boss battle. And I gave up after that. I also plan to look over the PvP as it looks fun.

Played a bit of the Destiny 2 Beta on PC. It's overall quite good. Gameplay is very tight, and the PC version is very nicely optimized. The first campaign mission was ok, and I was surprised that I actually liked the main antagonist, Ghaul. He seems like a generic bad guy, and in some respects he is, but he's voiced quite good. I like him.

Also played the strike mission in Destiny 2, along with 2 other random players, and we continually got wiped at the final boss battle. And I gave up after that. I also plan to look over the PvP as it looks fun.

Going to check this out myself.

My primary concern is that the progression system and the loot is too simplistic for my tastes.

Not into the shooting much at all - so there must be something meaty to keep my interest.

Going to check this out myself.

My primary concern is that the progression system and the loot is too simplistic for my tastes.

Not into the shooting much at all - so there must be something meaty to keep my interest.

I'm not sure how complex the itemization is. The UI in item/skill management is very much style over usability, so it wasn't very clear to me what does what. Anyways, for me the shooting is very solid, and is the main reason I like the gameplay. Also, the strikes and raids require team cooperation, and combat mechanics, so those are also pretty cool.

But you should try it tonight, as the Open Beta starts on PC in just under 2 hours and will continue for the next few days. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the refund policy is on Battle.net.

I'm enjoying my solo run at Icewind Dale, I think. Its certainly different - my usual tactics involve using tanks and summons spells to block corridors etc, but with one melee character you just get swamped all the time. It hasn't been as difficult as I expected so far, mainly because my character is levelling up pretty quickly. He's a bit of a one-trick pony though - basically very good at getting in peoples' faces and inflicting a tonne of damage very quickly. Great so far, but I'm not sure how he's going to fare against powerful magic users with protections in the later game, or even those characters who just hit even harder than he does. And the thought of the final boss battle is a bit daunting - that's a very tough fight even with a full party! I'm thinking maybe a bit of magic would have been a good thing to broaden his skillset, but its too late now - I'm just going to keep ploughing on and see how far I get.

I'm currently at the bottom of Dragon's Eye… approaching (shudder) Yxonomei.

Wow, you are progressing fast. Good luck with Yxonomei! Are you playing with HoW and TotLM expansions as well? Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to finish the last run? I remember taking quite a while to finish IWD but you seem to breezed through it.

Thanks! I think I might need some luck against Yxonomei - I'm already pushing my luck with my "charge everything and punch it in the face" tactic. :) I think Yxonomei is where I might need to start experimenting with something new to win. My last run took about twenty hours I think, but the app doesn't keep track so that's just a guess. I'm about six hours into my solo run. I have HoW and TotLM installed but I didn't play them last time - my party is saved so I can always come back to it later.

IWD was short for us too. That's where my criticism of "I love the game but wish it were much longer" came from. Granted, we didn't get to finish the one expansion because of some server issues at the time, but the main game still felt short to me.

Playing D&D:Dungeon Hack. Very good old game from the past, and very fun in short intervals.

Dungeons are randomly generated, and you have to find keys, levers .. etc. to progress to lower levels. Dungeons have varied palette so you never get board. Good variety of enemies and weapons.

Very fun to make a character and then dive in. You have to think carefully as rations are rare and if they finish you die (even though your health can be at maximum)!

Update: Played as a cleric, used Spiritual Hammer to plow through enemies from afar, and you get food as part of your level 3 prayer (so you don't need to find food anymore!). Brilliant.

Last edited:
Once again I thought I'd be done with Disgaea two, and once again I'm wrong. Via becoming a senator myself in the game, I found a way into a new area called Cavern of Ordeals, so it looks like I'll be exploring these first. After that, I think I might have to revisit some earlier maps and see if there are secret ones that can be unlocked. The depth of this eight dollar game is simply astounding.

Still messing around with Diablo III and the DLCs for Deus Ex: MD.

I finished System Rift last night. I really enjoyed it overall, and I'd say it's a must play for Deus Ex fans. It's a classic DX infiltration mission, and I found it significantly more challenging than anything in the main game. The level design is superb for most of it.

I just killed The Butcher in Diablo III, and I'm already level 38. This game is apparently a lot longer than I was expecting it to be. I thought I was already in the second act, but I only just started it.

Back
Top Bottom