Shadow of War - Review

I've read several reviews of it now, and they all say they same thing: They can't really figure out why the game has those boxes at all, as there's no real reason to get them. It seems like an odd decision that's likely to just gain negative rep despite barely being present.

Lot of young kids or so called mom and dad gamer play these "mainstream" games and I am pretty sure they will buy these loot boxes and the revenue from them will be enough to offset the loss of revenue from the negative publicity.

Lot of young kids or so called mom and dad gamer play these "mainstream" games and I am pretty sure they will buy these loot boxes and the revenue from them will be enough to offset the loss of revenue from the negative publicity.

Yeah, I guess, especially if it ends up being a game that lasts. Over time I suppose such things will add up.

I've read several reviews of it now, and they all say they same thing: They can't really figure out why the game has those boxes at all, as there's no real reason to get them. It seems like an odd decision that's likely to just gain negative rep despite barely being present.

It is not an odd decision and there is obviously a reason for it as devs hit a nerve: anyone can experience that lootboxes are optional yet many perceive them as compulsory. Which they are for a certain type of players.

Quite a lot of cultural players these days who care more about playing vid products to be accepted in their social circles than playing for playing.
Therefore they do welcome means to speed up browsing through content so they can get discussion topics with their peers.

It is not about playing vid products, it is about getting a sense of belonging. Devs somehow monetize it even more, the bill starts to feel heavy.

And I read user input where all say the same thing - at a certain point of the game you have to excessively grind till you get so annoyed you start thinking on buying lootboxes.

Who should I trust? Gamers who finished the game or…

Gamers may be trusted but every player is not a gamer.

The article has it, it is about the key words repetition, repetitive.
Repetition is an opportunity to get better at things.
Players who seize the chances do not feel they need an extra boost from lootboxes, they can play and finish the product without them.

Players like those who look for new content and abhor repetition since it shows whether a player has built the required skills are caught up: they have not raised their skill levels and are in need for props. Props that can be acquired in loot boxes, best props being in bought lootboxes.

Young kids might be the ones who train to build up their skills.

Quite a lot of cultural players these days who care more about playing vid products to be accepted in their social circles than playing for playing.
Therefore they do welcome means to speed up browsing through content so they can get discussion topics with their peers.

It is not about playing vid products, it is about getting a sense of belonging. Devs somehow monetize it even more, the bill starts to feel heavy.

That is a very good point. I didn't think of it that way before but it make sense for great many "mainstream" gamers.

I guess when I was young, I guess I played some games or even watched particular TV show since all my friends were doing it. If I didn't, I felt left out of their discussions.

Gamers may be trusted but every player is not a gamer.

The article has it, it is about the key words repetition, repetitive.
Repetition is an opportunity to get better at things.
Players who seize the chances do not feel they need an extra boost from lootboxes, they can play and finish the product without them.

Players like those who look for new content and abhor repetition since it shows whether a player has built the required skills are caught up: they have not raised their skill levels and are in need for props. Props that can be acquired in loot boxes, best props being in bought lootboxes.
You read my posts and you know that I can't stand grind which is basically repetition.

But if faced with two options to choose, repetition or acceptance of milking my biologically unmilkable nipples, what do you think my answer would be?

Recent articles assure me (so many years after I was yelling "wolf!" on Star Trek Online lootboxes scandal) that I'm finally not alone with the choice.

No. Grinding is no repetition alone.

Repetition is the basic unit in gameplay. Games usually feature a repetitive core as it is necessary to command over decision making processes.

Grinding refers to repetitive activity that is low danger/low reward. Stakes go unchanged. It takes a long time to accumulate but it is risk free.

Back
Top Bottom