GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche

If great old games really is declining to pick up this game, my bet would be on a personality clash with the author. Certainly not the game itself, as it's quite similar to many that GoG currently offers.

Based on the couple of interviews with GOG founders, I don't get the sense that they're dumb enough to reject a game based on the developer being a narcissist.

They're pretty smart guys and they come off as having more decency and tolerance than that - and I know they have a colorful list of employees.

Nah, there must be something else behind such a decision. If I had to take a wild guess, then Cleve probably said something stupid or made a profile-matching stupid demand while corresponding with them - if they've actually corresponded, that is.

I guess they would not care the least for how he behaves privately. But since his narcissism affects his behavior towards customers, that may be a different thing.

And as you rightly say, if he behaves the same way towards business partners, well...

How buggy is Grimoire at this point? GOG sometimes rejects games for being very buggy.

In 40+ hours essentially zero bugs save a mouse cursor refusing to reset to a “general” selection icon. It might have crashed once as well. The game is pretty bullet proof in version V2.

I'll point out that GOG has rejected other indie first person dungeon crawlers before. In fact, very few actually get released that aren't classics.

As much as I (and probably a good many other RPGWatch users as well) like the classic Wizardry-style games, they are a niche within a niche within a niche. One that even in the indie game world has only really seen relatively sporadic releases compared to other styles of RPG (including Dungeon Master-style games, which share the same movement and perspective).

I do find their curation to be overly heavy though. There's no legitimate reason to not have many of the rejected titles on there, other than GOG just didn't actually review those games and sent an out of hand rejection notice.

If I ever release my game, I won't even bother submitting it to GOG, that's for certain.

I still think the question - "Shall we, or shall we not, do business with a professional troll who likes to threaten litigation?" - might possibly have entered into it.

Unlike Steam they have a curation but they rarely talk about it to avoid getting in a controversy. Not having Grimoire is certainly a little controversy compared to have that guy in a full rampage mode through their forums.
Bet they do not have any D. Smart games either.

Back
Top Bottom