Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite

View Poll Results - Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite?

Arena 4 7.84%
Daggerfall 4 7.84%
Morrowind 29 56.86%
Oblivion 4 7.84%
Skyrim 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Default Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite

February 3rd, 2021, 17:22
I've always enjoyed the TES games as an immersive exploration experience. In that regard, I definitely enjoyed Morrowind the most, as I'd never played anything quite like it, at the time.

I don't actually think any of them are that great as games. Their systems are usually rubbish, the leveling is a killer, and I get bored way before the end.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

February 3rd, 2021, 17:38
Arena for me. It was the original and the newness of the world really grabbed me. I liked every one, but for the favorite it's Arena.

Lue.

Luethar

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

February 6th, 2021, 22:31
Thanks to FCOM (overhaul), Deadly Reflexes (where Skyrim stole its combat system) and a myriad of other mods, I have to say Oblivion.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 6th, 2021, 23:47
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
Take the Skyrim combat and the Morrowind world and you have almost a perfect Elder Scrolls game.
The combat felt weightier, more solid, as the series progressed, but for my money the combat remained much the same. Fights still consist mostly of backing up for miles while shooting/swinging/spell-flinging. Everything rushes you. I tried to find a Skyrim combat mod for some time that might change that, but I never really did.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 6th, 2021, 23:49
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Morrowind was the only game of the series that really had an unusual setting, and that won me over. Daggerfall and Oblivion are too vanilla fantasy for me. Skyrim may be a little better, but Norse settings are also pretty tried and true, though maybe less so when Skyrim was released.
I'm not really a fan of Norse culture/mythology, but I think it could still have been really interesting if Bethesda hadn't taken such a skin deep approach. Being called a milk drinker and finding runes was about the extent of the Norse-ness. It wasn't even cold until Frostfall came along.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

February 8th, 2021, 05:12
I enjoy all of the TES games i've played tremendously and for different reasons. All have their charms. No one gets a pick for favorite, they're all my favorite.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

February 8th, 2021, 14:34
That's what I love about Fluent. "Moscow in flames, bombs headed toward New York! What a great day lets go have a picnic."
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

February 8th, 2021, 19:44
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
That's what I love about Fluent. "Moscow in flames, bombs headed toward New York! What a great day lets go have a picnic."
God is always good.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

February 8th, 2021, 21:13
Tell that to Sodom and Gomorrah God is definitely a Daedra.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2021, 23:09
Each one has merit. The last three particularly so once modded. Including building tools to allow modding is another reason to appreciate these titles.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 9th, 2021, 00:15
I liked morrowind the most, but maybe that's because it was the first one I played. I think it is also because the world was more interesting (more variation in the environments, exploration, etc.)

Oblivion was pretty at the time but it never really grabbed me. Skyrim became too easy after doing the guild questline. It did have some interesting quests, but you had to find them in between all those mediocre quests.

At the end, it doesn't really matter. None of them are as good as many people think. Ok, ok, they are just not my preferred type of RPG :-).

In all seriousness, there is something about the engine (eg, woody animation + loading when entering the smallest shack) that never sat right for me. It also bothered me in DKS (same engine iirc), but I liked that one more (the puzzles!)

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 9th, 2021, 09:42
I really wanted to put Skyrim as number one but that Morrowwind world was just so immersive and different. And while the music for Skyrim was majestic and has many of my favorite pieces in all of gamedom, the Morrowwind music was subtly at its best. Both games are in my top 10 list.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

February 11th, 2021, 23:07
I'm surprised the two oldest games got as many vote.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 11th, 2021, 23:29
I like that Morrowind wins hands down. I loved it, when I played it at release, because it was completely different from other RPGs I knew in regards to athmosphere and how the story unfolded. I have fond memories, like finding the guy, who had invented a flying spell but ran out of mana (or something like that). The later games feel streamlined and watered down to me. On the other hand I looked at the older games only after playing Morrowind and couldn't get into them.

Probably there is a correlation that, like Ilm stated above, several people like the one most, which they played first.

I have a similar experience with Might and Magic VI, which I love (and also VII and VIII), but I can't really play the older Might and Magic games, because they feel outdated for me. I can understand intellectually that they are also good games but don't get into them.
Last edited by bkrueger; February 11th, 2021 at 23:31. Reason: Typo

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 01:24
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
I have fond memories, like finding the guy, who had invented a flying spell but ran out of mana (or something like that).
He invented a potion that allowed him to jump very, very high, but neglected to think about, um, landing. So he splats down right in front of you, just outside Seyda Neen.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

February 19th, 2021, 03:09
Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind

I never even finished Morrowind, despite two tries. The first ended because I got my levelling all screwy. The second ended because I learned to make a magic weapon that was terribly OP so the game got dull.

Oblivion was good stuff, especially the DLC.

I got to play Skyrim with 3D Vision which made it hugely epic! Finding Blackreach was one of my favorite moments in gaming.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 14:54
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion > the rest
That is exactly my thought - when I started Oblivion I was excited … and then after a few hours realized it was incredibly broken and mostly boring and so many things were more PR than gaming.

Skyrim is really pretty great, even loved replaying it on the Nintendo Switch. But Morrowind is definitely my fave.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Which Elder Scrolls game was your favorite