Witcher 3 - Retail PC Version FAQ

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CD Projekt published a FAQ for the retail PC version of their highly ambitious soon to be relased The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Here a sample:

Q: Do I need Internet access to install the retail PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?
A: The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

[...]

Q: Can I install and play the game without the GOG.com game code?
A: Yes you can install and play the game without the [included GOG key for a digital backup - ed.] game code.

Q: Will I be able to install updates and the free DLCs without using the GOG.com game code?
We decided to offer software support, DLCs, and extra goodies only to gamers who confirm their purchase with the provided game code on GOG.com. This is the only way for us to differentiate between you, honest gamers who bought our game, and pirates who snatched it from the Internet.
Some of this will probably provoke discussions.

Sources:
PCGames.de
Gamestar.de

More information.

I'm more interested in another kind of FAQ, like I want to know if there are ultra lame boss fights like the kayran that are more scripted sequence button mash than actual fight, or like meeing letho for the first time and having to redo the fight 20x until you somehow manage to beat him. I like challenges but don't like when you have 20 options and have to redo fights until you find that one option that works for a given fight - and I don't play a game with incredibly robust sword fighting combat just so I can mash right and left click to prompts to get thru a scripted boss sequence. Encountering this stuff in witcher 2 has me on the fence again since I have zero interest in that kind of stuff no matter how good the rest of the game is or how good looking it is.

I'm all for CD Projekt / GOG / Witcher, but I have to call BS with something they said.

The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play……
Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process..

They can call it what they want "security *feature*", "security measure", "protection", "online features (*required)" etc, that is DRM on those versions. Period.

Remember DRM isn't about and doesn't prevent pirating, it's utterly useless at stopping piracy and arguably counter productive, DRM is about control, it's a control mechanism. DRM is not a specific bit of code, stamp or .dll, it's a mechanism, a way of doing things, an implementation.

Granted the method they've implemented is pretty considerate, in what amounts to the DRM being removed/disabled once you have the downloaded file with the benefit of not ever having some horrible software digging into your operating system, this is about as non obtrusive and customer friendly as DRM can get, but still.

Statements like this are what you expect from the likes of EA/Blizzard etc when they try justify online requirements while claiming it isn't DRM but instead features for your own good.

For me the issue isn't simply CD Projekt adding a form DRM/control mechanism to certain early versions, it's about them pulling out the spin-doctoring and insulting peoples intelligence.

..Witcher 3 needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game…

Let that choice snippet sink in, this is not a patch, not an extra, not something optional. This is something to "allow" you to use the product when they decide to allow it, but it is not DRM or any kind of rights management or control mechanism. I will spare the sarcastic metaphors ultimately resulting in,,, a rose by any other name.

This is beyond disappointing, it's hypocritical and insulting coming from someone who has benefitted so much from constantly banging the anti-DRM drum.

If they had simply come out and said early retail versions of the game have a form DRM to prevent playing it before the release date (even if the DRM method is simply a small missing game file that the game checks for and requires). That would have been one thing, acceptable even as someone who never purchases anything with DRM (I understand the paradox with me saying that while pointing to the fact that this is DRM, but I am not extremist in my personal boycotts and wouldn't mind this form of DRM just as I don't mind the offline CDkey DRM).

Though adding the spin-doctoring to insult intelligence ontop of it is the kind of double speak I would not have expected from the CD Projekt / GOG family of companies and the reason for this tirade.

yadda yadda yadda
The first day file is de facto day one patch.
It's there not because CDpr wants to screw someone but because they don't want some idiot store to start selling the full game before everyone else - as happened with every other single game on the planet.

You can call it DRM, bullshit or whatever else, I call it protecting every single customer out there who didn't buy the game at that "hey we're selling it earlier than others, come here!" particular store.

The game has a starting date set in stone. If you believed you'll play it before that date thanks to some physical copy leak, that's your problem, not CDprojekt's and if anyone is bullshitting here, that's not CDprojekt.

More details on day one patch you can find on social networks if that's you thing (mine it's not):
https://twitter.com/MilezZx/status/595301948347326464
Or here, aggregated:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05...kup-and-more-new-screenshot-shows-a-strumpet/

In the end the game is still DRM free and I'm extremist.

This is beyond disappointing, it's hypocritical and insulting coming from someone who has benefitted so much from constantly banging the anti-DRM drum.

With all due respect (seriously, I mean this respectfully), I think your reaction is much like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

I agree with you that they are spinning here with their language and when you boil it down, yes this is DRM and perhaps they should have just come right out and said so.

But when you take the time to read the details two things become clear very quickly… it's one time (temporary) and unobtrusive to your O/S.

I'd like to see anyone as an individual or a business put YEARS of their life and a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY (W3 is around 40m USD as of 2013), into building something and not take at least some preventative measures to protect themselves.

Even more so is that we should not view this in a vacuum but remember that they promise a pretty good game in terms of value/money as well as quite a lot of free DLCs down the road.

On this particular implementation of DRM, I can look the other way even when CD Projekt isn't being entirely honest in how it is classifying this 'security' measure.

Watchtower, I think you're a bit exaggerating there. Yes it's some kind of DRM. I don't know you but I don't want some pirate to play the game earlier that I bought while I wait for the game to be released. What we are talking here is not Denuvo or Diablo style always online shit anyway.

Totally fine for me.
I pay for DRM free Witcher 3 and I get DRM free Witcher 3 on release day.
I don't care what they do to prerelease versions of the game

Some people and their fanatical anti-DRM activism... Normally, as in legally, sold copy of the game? No online check, no DRM. Simple as that. Getting your pants in a bunch over this is just silly.

It's a bit sad to see CDPR use this bullshit language to talk about pre-release DRM. Then again, it's pre-release DRM, so it isn't really anything that concerns me. If I cannot play the version with DRM anyway, it doesn't really matter. So it's more a language issue than a DRM issue for me.

I have no issue with this at all, and I'm an extreme anti-obtrusive/hassling DRM person.

I will buy the game after the launch period, when they will strip this launch protection from the game, easy-peasy.

I agree with the reaction that it seems over the top to think this is so bad or a major hassle, when you consider the always online DRM nonsense that a lot of other games have done, which is horrible and a slap in the face to any paying customer.

Pre-release DRM? Mind boggles!

I'm a little confused. Aren't they simply saying that the game code is being shipped incomplete, and will be "unlocked" via a download at launch time, to control pre-day-0 access? I get that this is a form of DRM in the strictest sense...but the fact that they're removing this as soon as the game launches means that it's hard to claim the game itself uses DRM. The only gray area, arguably, is the initial batch of discs being pressed prior to the release date in each market - and even there, the game will have no DRM at all once it downloads the initial code package.

It's like a single unlock DRM. Not draconian, unless you're a thieving hacker of course, or have no internet access. In the latter case, you'd have a good excuse to be very pissed especially if you had pre-ordered. In the former, well all I can say is "boo hoo". :)

I'm a little confused. Aren't they simply saying that the game code is being shipped incomplete, and will be "unlocked" via a download at launch time, to control pre-day-0 access?

Yes, and that's why I think it's hilarious that some people are getting their panties in a bunch. :)

Please!!!

I am very unhappy in my life!!!!!

Let me complain about simple things to make the real things that make me unhappy seem that much more bearable.

Anyways I can't wait to play this game....

What's funny is the excuses on both sides...if this was bethesda some of you would be frothing at the mouth....Joxer for instance.

It's not a big deal to me, but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom