Request: Offline Wiki Software

themadhatter

Philosopher Emeritus
I was hoping someone could lend me a hand in acquiring software to fulfill my needs. I have a great deal of information (both textual and images) that I need to collate in a manner which will allow me to access it all within the constraints of a single interface, much like a wiki. Unlike a wiki, however, I need it to be accessible whilst offline (in truth, an online mechanic is not required in the least).
A fine example of the manner in which I would like my data to be displayed is the United States page at Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states
...which includes features I am interested in such as inter-page links, a table of contents, the ability to create graphs and captioned images (links to such, that is, as I do not want to resize my images, simply have a scaled down version created within the document which, when clicked, will take me to the original) and a WYSIWYG editor.
I would also prefer it was possible to modify the information in the same interface as it is viewed (as in Photoshop), as opposed to Wikipedia's system, wherein editing anything requires you enter a separate page. That, however, is hardly a necessity.
Essentially, as I've already said, I'm searching for an offline facsimile of the software on which Wikipedia operates. Freeware, shareware or commercial makes no difference. Thank you...

Why not just run a regular wiki system on your local machine? Just because you can run it as an on-line service doesn't mean that you have to.

I'd suggest MediaWiki (free) or Confluence (paid).

To be honest, I would have to admit that, while I considered the idea, I am not particularly adept at managing software, hence I was hoping to find something that would allow me to simulate a wiki without resorting to creating one.
Any other suggestions?

Maybe BladeWiki does what you want. It is an off-line wiki, which has a nice set of features but not as full fledged as MediaWiki. It doesn't have an installer its just a set of 3 files IIRC that need to be in the same location.

Back
Top Bottom