Sword Coast Legends - Community Pack 2 Live

I had said from day one it looked an okay game and from the little I have played of it, it is.
Exactly. For some people, it seems there are only two ways to evaluate a game: best ever, and worse ever. There's no middle ground.

Sword Coast Legends is an okay game. It's not particularly original, or brilliant, but it can be quite fun, both in single player, or with other people. The game was sold at a mid-range price (with some stores like GMG having added discounts that made it even cheaper), and for that price, I certainly don't regret my purchase.

How ridiculous it is that some people continue to systematically post bad things about the game without playing it for even one minute, and instead made their judgement based on screenshots, videos, or what other people have said (and most of those negative comments came from the early access weekends, where people only had access to certain modes, and certain content, and many didn't understand that wasn't all there was to the game).

Part of the problem for some people is because, since the game features the D&D brand, it has to be a perfect adaptation of all rules systems, which I fully understand, because that is certainly what every videogame that carried the brand has done in the past, right?

And for the record, that game is also quite fun. :biggrin:

I had said from day one it looked an okay game and from the little I have played of it, it is.

I will revisit the game once a few more patches come out.

Exactly. For some people, it seems there are only two ways to evaluate a game: best ever, and worse ever. There's no middle ground.

Sword Coast Legends is an okay game. It's not particularly original, or brilliant, but it can be quite fun, both in single player, or with other people.

I'm with you guys here. I've played the SP story campaign only and think it's okay. My rating is it 6.5.

Sword Coast Legends is an okay game. It's not particularly original, or brilliant, but it can be quite fun, both in single player, or with other people. The game was sold at a mid-range price (with some stores like GMG having added discounts that made it even cheaper), and for that price, I certainly don't regret my purchase.

How ridiculous it is that some people continue to systematically post bad things about the game without playing it for even one minute, and instead made their judgement based on screenshots, videos, or what other people have said (and most of those negative comments came from the early access weekends, where people only had access to certain modes, and certain content, and many didn't understand that wasn't all there was to the game).

Part of the problem for some people is because, since the game features the D&D brand, it has to be a perfect adaptation of all rules systems, which I fully understand, because that is certainly what every videogame that carried the brand has done in the past, right?

And for the record, that game is also quite fun. :biggrin:

I think this is what is called a straw man argument.

Not all D&D games need to play like D&D but a D&D that says it is like 5e and it is a RPG does need to. Ferrari brand is used on more than cars but if you buy a Ferrari car you expect it to be a Ferrari car, not a bicycle.

I think this is what is called a straw man argument.

Not all D&D games need to play like D&D but a D&D that says it is like 5e and it is a RPG does need to.
First, the game was never advertised as using any specific rules. Second, "it is a RPG does need to", says who? If the people behind the brand says it's a D&D title, it's a D&D title.
Just because the game isn't what you want it to be, it doesn't make it any less D&D.

And again, I'll ask you, since you show up on every single news item for this game to badmouth it: have you actually played the game? Is it a fun, enjoyable experience?

Why you feel the need to keep up with these ridiculous comments, without even having tried out the game, when this and other news items recently posted were about positive post-release support, it's perplexing.
Why don't you go, and play and post about something you do like?

And by the way, you do know there are Ferrari clothes, watches, and even miniature cars, right? Should I expect my Ferrari miniature car to drive me around at 250 km/h? :rolleyes:

It was advertized a lot as using 5e. A lot. Again I don't care what people behind the brand say, they are idiots as shown but how many successful D&D games after NWN2?
Same people that let Pathfinder take their title of most popular PnP roleplay system?

No I have not played it, but I seen enough and read enough to know a turd. And as I said normally I would just go in another direction to get away from its stink, but this turd is only thing since NWN2 that has a RPG mark on it and has a D&D sign.

It's a pretty reasonable expectation that a D&D computer RPG would use D&D rules. Claiming otherwise is pretty disingenuous. It's pretty obvious that this game was a lazy capitalization on the D&D name. For that, it's certainly worthy of our scorn.

No I have not played it, but I seen enough and read enough to know a turd.
And of course, you know better than the people who have been posting about the game, and who actually PLAYED the game.

And here I thought games were about gameplay, and not about looking at pretty screenshots, but what do I know.

And as I said normally I would just go in another direction to get away from its stink, but this turd is only thing since NWN2 that has a RPG mark on it and has a D&D sign.
Not it isn't. Are you forgetting that you always like to point out on most topics about Sword Coast Legends that there's an expansion to Baldur's Gate coming out soon, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, and that will be a true D&D game?

In case you're forgetting, I'll quote you for this great gem about SCL: «And I hope it is a huge failure so they give more money to Beamdog that are making real DnD games. »
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061356572&postcount=25

You won't ever buy Sword Coast Legends, because of whatever reason, and no one is forcing you, or trying to convince you do so.
But what I'm do saying is: don't spoil other people's enjoyment. Don't go on news posts about a game you never played, and continuously post crap about it, just because you are under the delusional idea that, if this game fails, somehow the people behind the D&D brand will start funding games that are done according to your expectations.

Not it isn't. Are you forgetting that you always like to point out on most topics about Sword Coast Legends that there's an expansion to Baldur's Gate coming out soon, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, and that will be a true D&D game?
There's also Daggerdale, which by most accounts is far worse than SCL. And the "Neverwinter" MMO.

It's a pretty reasonable expectation that a D&D computer RPG would use D&D rules. Claiming otherwise is pretty disingenuous. It's pretty obvious that this game was a lazy capitalization on the D&D name. For that, it's certainly worthy of our scorn.

Of course, because a title carrying the D&D brand in synonymous with a true adaptation of the boardgames, featuring all the updated rules and lore with the utmost care and quality, and certainly there hasn't been any titles that carry the D&D brand, and basically feature only elements of the "universe", be it locations, enemies, and not much else.

Oh, wait:

I could be here all afternoon posting examples.
But you know what, this whole discussion is ridiculous. What people should be discussing is if the game is fun or not to play, not what it is not, and what is a D&D videogame. The brand has been used in many genres, and many titles, some good, some bad. Sword Coast Legends isn't nowhere near the best, but nowhere near the worse.

And for the record, I'll repeat what I previously posted, without any irony: those Capcom D&D beat 'em ups are a lot of fun. :)

Most of the games you linked are either arcade or console games. I did say "computer RPG" in my post you were replying to. Daggerdale, which I already mentioned myself, would have been proof of your point. Regardless, if those are the games you are equating SCL with, it's a pretty damning indictment of SCL…

Regardless, if those are the games you are equating SCL with, it's a pretty damning indictment of SCL…
I'm not equating the game SCL with any of the above, and certainly I didn't say so in any of my posts. I think I was perfectly clear that I was pointing out the D&D brand has been used in countless genres, and countless titles, and most feature a "light" implementation of the brand.

I made no other comments on the quality (or lack of) for the examples I provided, other than to say, and I repeat, that the Capcom beat'em ups are a lot of fun, so even if I was equating the "fun factor" of SCL with those two Capcom titles, it would certainly not be a bad thing, since ultimately that is what a videogame should be: fun, entertaining. But I digress.

Sword Coast Legends is an action-RPG, with an emphasis on multi-player, and user created content, and with a light implementation of the D&D rules. That much was clear from the start. Why some people have trouble accepting what it is, and keep mentioning what it isn't, I frankly don't understand.

Indeed I see a problem in how they were advertising their game. They knew that if they advertised it as the next D&D game, a majority of gamers would expect a game in the line of BG and NWN as far as the ruleset adaption goes.
They hardly did anything to lower the expectations there, hardly gave information about game mechanics until the very release. Only then it was apparent that it's aquite streamlined actiony RPG.
For the dungeon master part it was even worse: being asked if gamers could recreate their favorite campaigns with the tools, he said "absolutely!", which was just plain wrong.

Of course as a consument you have to expect that shiny advertising often differs from the final product (TW3!) but I still think it's my right as a customer to dislike this behaviour, be disappointed by a game and consider this before buying one of their next games.

You got that part right about yourself.
Sorry, you are right. It's all about the pretty screenshots, not actual gameplay.
What a pathetic comment.

I now remember why I previously blocked you, when I originally posted my gameplay opinion during one of the early access weekends: you argue about things or games you never played, and make your judgements based on screenshots, or videos, and when someone points that out, you always go for the empty insult.

Basically, you troll every news item regarding Sword Coast Legends, nothing more.
I'm done replying to your non-arguments, since I have better things than to waste my time replying to a rude troll, who for some pathetic reason is invested on the commercial failure of a videogame.
Good day.

Not that I'm anyhow interested in this MMO…
But I thought Community Pack is used to describe stuff made by fans. Now I see a developer uses it for official "DLC". Am I plain wrong or this was game PR idea for clickbait (a good one as it obviously worked on me)?

Judging by the wording on their website, I get the idea that calling it a "community pack" lets them portray an image of putting out extra features that their HUGE community has been clamoring for!! As opposed to just getting around to fixing and adding stuff that should have been in the game at release. :roll:

Of course as a consument you have to expect that shiny advertising often differs from the final product (TW3!) but I still think it's my right as a customer to dislike this behaviour, be disappointed by a game and consider this before buying one of their next games.
A perfectly valid opinion, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying with my posts that the game is some masterpiece. It's an enjoyable title, nothing more, and I hope with better creation tools the community may work on some worthwhile content, that would extend the life and enjoyment of the game.

What I do argue, not with you, but with other posters, one in particular, is how the same people always show up on any news item about the game, always ready to badmouth the game (and weirdly enough, without actually having tried out the game), even when it's a news item such as this, which is about a positive thing: post-release support. Like the game or not, the developers have been reacting to feedback, and providing good post-launch support.
In a time where most things end up as paid DLC, or we are asked to buy an updated/enhanced edition in order to fix some things that should have been done as post-launch customer support, I see this as something positive. Some see this as yet another change to post how the game is crap, after making their judgement after looking at a couple of screenshots.
I don't get it.

Not that I'm anyhow interested in this MMO…
But I thought Community Pack is used to describe stuff made by fans. Now I see a developer uses it for official "DLC". Am I plain wrong or this was game PR idea for clickbait (a good one as it obviously worked on me)?
I've seen the term Community Pack used in two ways: one, as indicating community made content (usually it indicates that some people of talent and "importance" within a certain game community got together and made user-made content of superior quality, it acts like a seal of quality; NWN did that, but this was very popular in particular with FPS communities such as the Unreal Tournament community, which had several Community Packs of very high quality), and another, as being content developed by the official developers behind the game, as response to community requests.

From what I gather, they used the term here both to indicate it is done as response to requests from the community, and because these packs add items and content for the creation tools, in order to incentivize the content creation community around the game.

Either way, it's nice to see this free, post-launch support, especially since before launch many feared they would be adding items and content for the editors as paid DLC, but they have been doing so as free updates.

I'm with FunktionJCB on this one. I haven't played it much yet, but it seems like a fun but undemanding game. I would have preferred a turn based proper D&D game but I reckon I can still have fun with this. I totally understand why some folk will hate it, but I don't think the Devs were hiding what kind of game it was. They released videos etc before release and got lots of criticism at the time. ;)

Its good that they are releasing more content and good that some folk will hopefully enjoy playing it. It is also a shame it isn't a good representation of the rules, but yeah there are loads of examples of that...

I'm with FunktionJCB on this one. I haven't played it much yet, but it seems like a fun but undemanding game. I would have preferred a turn based proper D&D game but I reckon I can still have fun with this. I totally understand why some folk will hate it, but I don't think the Devs were hiding what kind of game it was. They released videos etc before release and got lots of criticism at the time. ;)

Its good that they are releasing more content and good that some folk will hopefully enjoy playing it. It is also a shame it isn't a good representation of the rules, but yeah there are loads of examples of that…

It is even worse, devs are completely clueless. They ignored all criticism because they "know better", you can see from all interviews and post release comments they got no clue. They still think some superficial changes can turn this game around.

The game is fracked at its core and nothing but core changes will make it good.
Even the fixes for MP parts they are making now will only make it usable but not good.

Back
Top Bottom