Mass Effect Andromeda early impressions and facts

I will try to update my impression as I go through it, at least until it open ups. Although, Maylander will probably go faster than me once he unlock the game. ;)

I am interested to know if this game has lot of busy work like DAI.
You mean grinding? No, it's not DA3 and there will be no postGOTY articles titled "Leave Hinterlands". There is a bit of grind of course, but unlike DA3 you do not need to spam sonar all the time.

To azarhal a hint, don't bother with deadly radiation (3) parts on Eos earlygame. ;)
Solve only sidequests you can, those hazard parts will open up later.
btw, some reviewers hated the fact you can't visit every part on the first planet the very moment you land on it - but the planet is devastated it's logical you can't till the problem is cleared.

I know about that, joxer. Although, I might try it just to see the Nomad explode once. ;)

You mean grinding? No, it's not DA3 and there will be no postGOTY articles titled "Leave Hinterlands". There is a bit of grind of course, but unlike DA3 you do not need to spam sonar all the time.

To azarhal a hint, don't bother with deadly radiation (3) parts on Eos earlygame. ;)
Solve only sidequests you can, those hazard parts will open up later.
btw, some reviewers hated the fact you can't visit every part on the first planet the very moment you land on it - but the planet is devastated it's logical you can't till the problem is cleared.

I don't mean sonar but I mean, close the rift, give an apple to NPC who is down the road or kill a bears type stuff! basically side quest which doesn't have any stories or MMO type side quest.

There are collection gathering tasks like scanning mineral resources or dead bodies identification or datalogs which aren't covered with a story but are logical, you want to know who dies, you need ress for people and you want to add to some lore. These are called tasks in the journal.

There is however a nice catch. Upon completing a collection you'll open a proper side quest with a story, you get a location of another place to visit or enormous loot. Examples on first planet (Eos):
- If you scan 2-3 damaged remnant cores in Kett camps while exploring, you get a location to visit later.
- If you scan dead bodies you find during main story and early sidequests, a side quest opens as you didn't find them all and the question is where others are.

EDIT:
Forgot. I remember someone talking about always online Denuvo protecting ME4 in some post.
You only have to start ME4 once while online. After that you can play it offline as long as you want. So that's cleared too.

WatchDogs of the Assassin's Galaxy Creed. Great choice and consequence if you like choosing which meaningless, plot-irrelevant grindquest to do first.

MMO is not a good design for a single-player game, this shit is only acceptable (barely) with real people.

For people doubting what I was saying about things looking fine, seems like I'm not the only one who see a difference between the previews and their games (only a small patch that fixed a sound issue and a Corsair utility app conflict was released between the 16th and yesterday).

Last edited:
For people doubting what I was saying about things looking fine, seems like I'm not the only one who see a difference between the previews and their games (only a small patch that fixed a sound issue and a Corsair utility app conflict was released between the 16th and yesterday).

No offense, but you didnt see an issue the first time with the movements of the two characters from ME:A and ME1 side by side. And that guy seems to be a random reddit user and that thread has very little posts.

Not saying that what you said isnt true, but it is hardly proof of what you are saying.

No offense, but you didnt see an issue the first time with the movements of the two characters from ME:A and ME1 side by side. And that guy seems to be a random reddit user and that thread has very little posts.

Not saying that what you said isnt true, but it is hardly proof of what you are saying.

That thread is about the eyes not the animations (people don't seems to make the difference between appearance and animations though), which I believe I acknowledged has having issue. That threads is talking about the eyes being fixed and Addison looking different for these people just like it does on my PC.

I am kinda curious if ALL the romance dialogue is laughably bad. There was a video showing some of the romance dialogue and it was terrible to me. Not that I would ever take romance dialogue in a game seriously but it seems like the game made these intentionally bad to make you laugh?

I'm downloading Mass Effect Andromeda now. I think some of the animations and facial expressions look abysmal. I think ME 3's animations look better. I'm not too keen on yet another "chosen one" adventure. Bioware should seriously move away from that. Anyways I'm still excited to play the game and I hope it has good combat.

I think for the most part all 3 me games have terrible writing when it comes to the main plots. I enjoy the gameplay, the atmosphere, and talking to companions the most.

Alright, I meet two NPCs with spazzy animations (aborted shrugs I would call it), but it wasn't in a cutscene proper. MEA has DAI not!cutscene dialogues, but unlike DAI the camera move at your shoulder (you can move it with the mouse somewhat still).

Hair and animations are the least of this game's problems. Unless you're a clueless hipster.

At least there is a huge difference between minor bugs and the game "breaking".

I will try to update my impression as I go through it, at least until it open ups. Although, Maylander will probably go faster than me once he unlock the game. ;)

I'm itching. Itching! Still can't even touch it for.. 30 hours or some such thing.

Over a modern Bioware game? I don't even plan on playing until it hits the bargain bin.

Fair point, though keep in mind I'm probably a slightly bigger ME fan than most around here are, with 30+ replays of ME1. That being said, I do actually share your skepticism over modern BioWare games, and I'm fairly certain it'll feel like another case of "sigh, so much untapped potential". Anything else would surprise me.

I'm still itching to give it a go though. I need answers. The developers have said all the right things prior to release (referring to ME1, Star Trek etc) and the Andromeda Initiative videos (not the trailers; they're all combat, as expected) showing off a seemingly cool focus on exploring a new galaxy. At the same time, reviewers talk about how these things are missing.

I still prefer sci-fi over fantasy, and ME (in particular ME1) represents something almost unique in the realm of gaming. It's so damn rare. So yes, I need answers, but I'm under no illusion that all the answers will be positive.

You replayed ME1 over 30times??? Holy cow, where do you find time to do that? I've been meaning to play the Witcher 3 but haven't had chance to go back for a week now :/

You replayed ME1 over 30times??? Holy cow, where do you find time to do that? I've been meaning to play the Witcher 3 but haven't had chance to go back for a week now :/

Replaying ME1 30 times is only like 5 times through The Witcher 3 though, and it's been out for 10 years. It only takes me about a weekend to go through it, as it's not a very long game once you know how to speed up the planet exploration part (I still complete the mining quest, tags etc, but I know how to do it fast now).

Back
Top Bottom