Witcher 3 - Review @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

There is nothing like constructive criticism.
Criticism is about listing negative and positive points.
So negative or positive criticism makes no sense.

Its just sad that in modern gamedesign its best to not let the player think to much…..It would be more immersive this way too.

Hard to tell. The current design supports the goal of the product: telling a story.
Crime scenes are investigated the same way they are in a forensic TV show.
Putting CSI soundtrack in the background could help for the immersion feeling.

Usually, in TV shows like CSI, viewers are offered several archetypes to associate with. In products like TW3, the association is made simpler as the player controls the avatar. It is an actor on strings.

Gameplay is not the objective, the story telling is. The design serves that objective.

Opinions, no matter what they are, are constructive by nature, because they inform and inspire thought and debate.

And how "That's just fucking terrible" is constructive by nature? And what it's informational and inspirational value?

Uh, I didn't say the game was terrible. It's a certain aspect that I find simplistic and annoying. What's the point of the comments section of this site if we can't discuss the games' content?

I've said I'm enjoying it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have negative aspects.

Hard to tell. The current design supports the goal of the product: telling a story.
Crime scenes are investigated the same way they are in a forensic TV show.
Putting CSI soundtrack in the background could help for the immersion feeling.

Usually, in TV shows like CSI, viewers are offered several archetypes to associate with. In products like TW3, the association is made simpler as the player controls the avatar. It is an actor on strings.

Gameplay is not the objective, the story telling is. The design serves that objective.

Yeah there the opinions differ. If they just want to tell a story why not just cut out the fights and the inventory? You could just watch Geralt kill his enemys in a most cineastic manner like in a movie? For me a RPG is about story and interactivity. More interactivity and less handholding in the sidequest would help with the storytelling(for me). At the moment I enjoy the mainquest lines but when I play the sidequest I get bored quickly because its just go there look for red clues, follow them and then fight.

I still love this game but this would make it even better….

Last edited:
At the moment I enjoy the mainquest lines but when I play the sidequest I get bored quickly because its just go there look for red clues, follow them and then fight.

I still love this game but this would make it even better….

Well put. Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which isn't a bad thing, just not the greatest.

I'm not a big fan of the red glowing effect either. I could still see the footprints and whatnot without it. I'd prefer a system that just gives me clues and a general direction do go and then I have to figure some stuff out for myself.

Take the blacksmith quest early on. Talk to a couple people then follow the red line to the guy hiding in his house. Who incidentally is hiding there before you even get the quest but apparently your witcher senses can't detect that he's bloody until after you get the quest. There was nothing for me to figure out, it was just dialogue, follow the line , have the guy follow you back to the blacksmith.

Or when I go to find the hunter. Knock on his door, he's not home but geralt knows he just left, use witcher senses , find foot prints follow them about 30 feet to the hunter. What's the point of that, should have just had the hunter be home or for that matter he was so close I'm sure he heard me knock anyway.

Not a deal breaker or anything but seems like a silly system that doesn't really add anything to the game. Maybe it's implemented better in other quests though. Personally I found the detective bit it the first game much more satisfying than anything I've done with witcher senses.

Yeah there the opinions differ. If they just want to tell a story why not just cut out the fights and the inventory? You could just watch Geralt kill his enemys in a most cineastic manner like in a movie? For me a RPG is about story and interactivity.

Opinions might differ, the opinion of the guy in charge matters most sometimes: CDR Projekt told outright their main goal was to tell a story.

In some sort of way, fights are already cut (in the way of gameplay)
The combat system is designed to support, to convey a certain image, a representation of the PC, a strong guy able to overcome any adversity with style.

The combat system is meant to enable the player to kill his enemie in a most cinematographic style. Contrary to cut scenes, it is interactive, the player stages the PC in that kind of fights.
Doings so requires little skills, that is how the combat system is designed to support the wished representation.

opinions might differ, the opinion of the guy in charge matters most sometimes: Cdr projekt told outright their main goal was to tell a story.

In some sort of way, fights are already cut (in the way of gameplay)
the combat system is designed to support, to convey a certain image, a representation of the pc, a strong guy able to overcome any adversity with style.

The combat system is meant to enable the player to kill his enemie in a most cinematographic style. Contrary to cut scenes, it is interactive, the player stages the pc in that kind of fights.
Doings so requires little skills, that is how the combat system is designed to support the wished representation.

see? It"s perfect exactly as the creators intended.

Uh, I didn't say the game was terrible. It's a certain aspect that I find simplistic and annoying. What's the point of the comments section of this site if we can't discuss the games' content?

I've said I'm enjoying it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have negative aspects.

This time my comment wasn't addressed to you :)

Uh, I didn't say the game was terrible.
You did.

And I agree with you. Yesterday I went killing a griffin with my cousin in my backyard. It surely wasn't nearly as easy as in this game. And it's head doesn't have any bonus effect in reality!
The game is so far from the real thing it deserved your every spit! How dared they to fantasize!!!
This time my comment wasn't addressed to you :)
Really? Many of us got fooled. :D

The detective mode is definitely too streamlined - and they might as well not have it, to my mind.

I'd love it if you actually had to think for yourself and do something without guidance - but that's not the case. It's more like busy work than anything else.

I don't understand the need to defend everything about the game. Well, I do understand - but it's so juvenile. Think for a bit instead of being so emotional.

I still think it's superb - but there's never been a game without flaws.

see? It"s perfect exactly as the creators intended.
It follows what the studio aimed to do.

It is story telling on that computer medium, it comes with consequences. Cheap narrative tricks are expected with either the PC monologuing to show how knowledgeable the character associated to the player is or with sidekicks delivering the pit of their ignorance to show how knowledgeable the character associated to the player is etc

CDR projekt delivered a product that is conform to the expectations.

People should not expect gameplay from a product for which gameplay is not an objective.

Well put. Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which isn't a bad thing, just not the greatest.
I knew you'll bring a salt to the wound deliberately.
But I'll slap it back.
Red Dead Redemption is not multiplatform game that can be played on PC*. How can a game that's multiplatform remind you on RDR? It's like saying that iPhone iOS reminds you on Lollipop Android.

————————————————————-
* - And only because of RDR I'm still waiting someone makes a proper console emulator, hacked, not hacked, illegal, legal, don't care since RDR publisher doesn't want to port it already.

You didn't use that word, but if one sums up what you find annoying it'll in the end look as jou didn't detail anything but just said - terrible. :D
I'm still waiting you spit on reverse Mickey Mouse hairstyle on Triss, lack of QTE, getting hurt when drop from a few feets (unless roll with space) and similar things. :p
Not saying there are no things in the game that can't be improved, but are those, in this game and not in some Dark Souls, Bioshock or Assassins Creed clone, are those really so wrong?

Back
Top Bottom