Assassin's Creed franchise

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Because there is spring sale on uPlay store, it's maybe the good time to write a few words about these games. Keep in mind none of AC games is RPG. All are enviroment puzzlers and most are openworld.
I'm listing games chronologically, these are just subjective remarks of mine so please, if you have another opinion on a title, add it!

1. Assassin's Creed (2007)

Basically a tech demo, worth some cash, but definetly not necessary to have or play. The story it starts about Altair is retold in later games and besides it doesn't end here. The only positive thing about it - this is the only AC game available also as DRMfree on GOG.

1.1. AC: Altair's Chronicles (2008) and AC: Bloodlines (2009)

These two are practically phonegames that were available on some garbage gadgets. I've never seen them and probably because of that I didn't go blind yet. You know what I think about these stuff? Skippit!

2. AC2 (2009)

It uses interesting UI that is same for controllers and KB+M, you won't see press WASD or press ABXY or some triangle/rectangle insults. Icons are unified. PC port is very good.
You're playing as two characters, Desmond in modern time and Ezio in the past with mentions of the character from the first game.
I suggest not gathering all treasure chests nor feathers as rewards are not worth it and it's all basically a boring filler. Do however solve all cutscene sequnce puzzles because the complete cutscene is a spectacular lore input.
DLC is almost rubbish and adds nothing worth $. However uPlay exclusive map that you unlock by just playing the game is nifty lore addition so do register the game on uPlay and don't skip that one!

2.1. AC2: Discovery

Another let's milk fans with handheld crap. Avoidware.

3. AC: Brotherhood (2010)

Some say this one is the best AC game ever and I can't put any valid argument against it, it's just that there is one other AC game I loved a bit more (rogue).
The Desmond/Ezio story continues and while AC2 took place in Venice and it's surroundings, here we're in Rome.
UI is now different and adapts to whatever input method you're using, definetly a good port.
Just as in AC2, I recommend not collecting all filler objects (flags/feathers/chests) as rewards are underwhelming.
Most of DLC is an utter disappointment and worth hate towards Ubisoft. The only DLC worth a bit is Da Vinci Disappearance, but even that one is not essential.

4. AC: Revelations (2011)

You'll play two or three characters here. Desmond episodes are optional (and very annoying). Other two characters are Ezio and Altair and this game closes their story arc. The game takes place mostly in Constantinople and adds some new stuff to enjoy.
Not sure why but some people didn't like it, maybe because to them the oddlooking architecture. However this is the only game ever I've seen Piri Reis as NPC - he is possibly the most important historical figure when it comes to mapmaking and mapcopying, yet very little is known about origin of his spectacular maps that survived to this day.
I know I loved every bit of this game with Ezio and Altair under my fingers.
DLC is horrible beyond words, singleplayer The Lost Archive is primitive platformer while the rest of DLC are aimed to multiplayer rubbish. Avoid at all costs! Someone should have sued Ubi for charging cash on this garbage.

5. AC3 (2012)

This game closes Desmond's story. And you'll be playing another assassin in the past. Well, not just him but I don't want to spoil it.
The game takes place in 18th century, before, during and after the American Revolution from 1754 to 1783, and concentrates on Boston and New York City.
Patching process is disgusting as you have to apply a patch then restart the game, then apply the next one, then restart, etc.
The game has a few bugs left inside, UI is sometimes annoying where WASD is used a few times to emulate mushrooms = port is not as good as it's predecessors.
The game is still IMO great.
There are quite a few DLC with different quality. The Hidden Secrets DLC adds a few more missions in the game, each IMO nice and worth your cash. Battle Hardened Pack DLC is horse armor scamware so you should skip it. The Tyranny of King Washington DLC (in fact three of them Tyranny, Infamy, Betrayal) is played differently than the main game and contains a crazy story. Apparently it's original name was Mad King George and the title is enough to get you interested. Sadly, the lore is not that important so if you don't buy it, you didn't lose much.

5.1. AC3: Liberation (2012)

The game originates on Gameboy or Playstation1 I forgot. There is a PC port, but imagine how bad the graphics can look on this, it's probably worse than AC1.
Ubi tried to make new Lara Croft, failed because Lara started on the platform where audience wants such stuff - PC. I never met another person who can remember the name of this girl assassin here, that explains how much the game was interesing.
Never bought this game, never will and I suggest you do the same.

6. AC4: Black Flag (2013)

An eyecandy about… Pirates. If you've never played ship battles before in Sea Dogs, it could be interesting to you. Designs are however horrible, everything feels great first half an hour then it drops into a sea of repetitiveness. Instead of adding interesting stuff to lore, it feels like spitting on it's predecessors with newly introduced crap.
PC port is horrible, one CPU core is hammered to 100% use all the time, second core is used about 30% while the rest of cores are doing nothing. This leads to microstutters and necessity to overclock CPUs otherwise capable of running any other existing game without a sweat on the default frequency.
Most of DLC are again super bad. One is a mission with the girl from Liberation that brings nothing new or interesting to the table. A few are multiplayer pay2win most probably scams.
However, Freedom Cry DLC is very good and is about a freed slave Adéwalé who becomes an assassin. Unlike other assassins however, he doesn't care much for stealth but goes rampage and fights mobs in direct combat. This DLC is so good you can buy it as a standalone product.

7. AC: Rogue (2014)

This is the best AC game IMO.
Has the best protagonist outfit I'd want to wear in RL, immersive story, it's patchpolished and ported properly on PC, doesn't contain much filler so it's the only game I won't say don't go collectibles. Also IMO this AC game has the best soundtrack of them all.
The only sin is that the story feels too short and unlike other AC games where I just wanted to end them to stop the torment with repetitiveness, in this one when I completed it I wanted to have more stuff to do.
In the game quite a few people from AC3 plus Adéwalé from AC4/Freedom Cry reappear here which makes this game a love letter to fans.
Not enough positive stuff to persuade you into buying it? Here's one more - AC: Rogue has no multiplayer nor DLC garbage! Probably because of that critics massively lowered it's score. Idiots.

7.1. AC: Identity (2014)

Don't ask me what's this about, all I know it's a phonegame. Avoid.

8. AC: Unity (2014)

Till Batman: Arkham Knight this game was considered widely as the most broken release that ever happened on PC. So much performance problems and bugs has not been seen on PC for a long time and the game was in such sorry state several patches just couldn't fix everything.
It takes place in Paris so the environment is fantastic, but do we play games for eyecandy props? Boring protagonist, boring story, unbelievable NPCs who are not sure what are they even doing in the game especially De Sade, politically correct suspiciously high Napoleon, but politically incorrect lack of female models.
Co-op missions are not bad though, but not bad doesn't mean mustplay.
The game was selling like a cure thanks to the hype but is IMO the worst AC game ever and the only AC game I have that I never finished.
As an apology to disappointed fans, Ubi made pretty irrelevant Dead Kings DLC free and cancelled season pass. That's an apology? That decision should have been made before any game development even start.
IMO avoid at all costs.

8.1. AC: Chronicles (2015, 2016), China, India, Russia

Are you Dragon Age fan? The awsome game, bad game and without-bears-would-kick-arse game trilogy?
Let's say you are. Did you play Heroes of Dragon Age on phones? Pay $ on it? Do you love it?
Or do you think that phonegame is an insult to fans?
AC: Chronicles exactly that to AC series. A bloody phonegame(s) insult. Or if you want to say it differently, a quick cash in.
Skippit.

9. AC: Syndicate (2015)

Apparently some new stuff, new protagonists, new visuals… And from what I've read, still a whole lot of repetitiveness.
No multiplayer like in Rogue, but unlike Rogue whatnot DLC returned.
Didn't buy it, probably never will unless someone says there is something important to experience in it.

----------------------------------------------

To sum it up, IMO you should buy:
- AC2
- AC: Brotherhood
- AC: Revelations
- AC3
- AC: Freedom Cry (just that standalone DLC, not AC4: Black Flag game)
- AC: Rogue

Everything else feel free to skip.
AC2, AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations don't have to be bought separately as all three are inside Ezio Pack:
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/e...assins_Creed®_Franchise_Pack_-_Ezio_Pack.html

Last edited:
I really wanted to keep up with this series. I loved the original even if it was a bit repetitive. But Ubisoft's plan to milk it as a yearly release killed my interest in it.

I played AC2 about a year after release but I wasn't in the mood for another AC until a few years later (let's be honest, it's easy to get burnt out on AC) and by then I was hopelessly behind. Maybe I'm weird in that I don't want to play games in a series out of order, but I decided that there is no way I'll ever catch up to the newest games so I haven't played any more of them.

My much shorter opinion is (I have only played up to Rogue so no idea about Unity or Syndicate yet):

AC4 Black Flag + Rogue > AC2 > Brotherhood > Revelations > AC3 > AC1

AC1 and 3 are by far the worst but I'd still recommend playing no. 3 for the conclusion to the Desmond Miles story. Or watch it on YouTube at least because it would be kind of weird to play AC2 and then skip straight to Black Flag or Rogue… if you don't know what happened to Desmond, Abstergo etc. in the meantime… well, you got some huge WTF alerts incoming…

@Korplem: You can finish most of the games pretty fast. The collectibles are all optional and the games up to Black Flag at least do not become too hard if you skip most of the optional content. If you rush from story waypoint to story waypoint, you can do them in about 12 to 15 hours or so.
Black Flag will probably take a little longer (but it's also really good) because you are going to have to upgrade your ship or some of the sea battles will be very difficult to beat.
Upgrading the ship means you will have to sail the seas and plunder other ships for phat booty which I found to be quite a lot of fun actually (think: Sid Meier's Pirates! in 3D) so I did not mind this at all.

@Korplem: You can finish most of the games pretty fast. The collectibles are all optional and the games up to Black Flag at least do not become too hard if you skip most of the optional content. If you rush from story waypoint to story waypoint, you can do them in about 12 to 15 hours or so.
Black Flag will probably take a little longer (but it's also really good) because you are going to have to upgrade your ship or some of the sea battles will be very difficult to beat.
Upgrading the ship means you will have to sail the seas and plunder other ships for phat booty which I found to be quite a lot of fun actually (think: Sid Meier's Pirates! in 3D) so I did not mind this at all.

Perhaps I could try that. But I usually try to do everything in a game, or at least until I'm thoroughly disgusted with it.

Just one thing about Freedom Cry, Black Flag and Rogue.
Play them with KB+M. Shipbattles feel like were designed to be played with mouse.

Back
Top Bottom