ToEE - The most D&D Game

No shit. The compulsive grind to get stuff is what got me. Plus guild friends online of course makes it all somehow palatable. 12 man raids for trials are a blast as are even bigger coordinated PvP guild groups in Cyrodiil. Yeah this game has a lot to offer without a doubt. So much to do.

ToEE is good, but it's not as great as some make it out to be. It's a solid game with great combat, but combat is what you're doing 90% of the time as there's little else to the game.

I love turn-based combat and DnD, so it's an almost perfect game for me.

Same here. It's essentially a turn-based IWD, which I'd say is a bit closer to my perfect game than even ToEE (I like RTWP > TB.)

Same here. It's essentially a turn-based IWD, which I'd say is a bit closer to my perfect game than even ToEE (I like RTWP > TB.)

There is actually a group working on a total conversion of IWD in the ToEE engine.

http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?forums/icewind-dale-total-conversion.108/

I enjoyed the expansion of the bast ToEE and the Keep on the Borderlands mod, so while I've played IWD many times, I've got no doubt I'll play it again if they pull off the TC.

ToEE is good, but it's not as great as some make it out to be. It's a solid game with great combat, but combat is what you're doing 90% of the time as there's little else to the game.
So if 90% of the game is combat and combat is great, then 90% of the game is great! :D

Damn, I need to replay now.

There is actually a group working on a total conversion of IWD in the ToEE engine.

Hopefully it's not an exact 1:1 copy as far as the encounters. I can't fathom why anyone would want that considering how much combat is in IWD. Translating that into a turn-based engine would make for a very long and boring game.

It took them five years to do the KotB conversion, so it's a bit early to get excited.

Hopefully it's not an exact 1:1 copy as far as the encounters. I can't fathom why anyone would want that considering how much combat is in IWD.

I liked the idea at first but I agree with this. Also, as a fan of RTWP > TB anyway, I don't have much interest now in that project as I did at first, even if they re-balance the combat by removing encounters or scaling them down.

I don't really see the point, honestly. IWD is already a great classic CRPG that's still fun to play.

I liked the idea at first but I agree with this. Also, as a fan of RTWP > TB anyway, I don't have much interest now in that project as I did at first, even if they re-balance the combat by removing encounters or scaling them down.

I don't really see the point, honestly. IWD is already a great classic CRPG that's still fun to play.
I agree, IWD is already good enough on its own. THis is like that guy that remade Bg1 in NWN2 engine. I tried playing it, it was terrible. I had to quit after 1 hour and go back to playing BG1EE rest of the day to wash the stink from my brain.

I place such high regard on ToEE, and I turn back to it for replays probably about once every other year, or so. My high regard for the game stems from my pen & paper days and experience running and playing this module back in the 80s. Temple of Elemental Evil is no doubt Gary Gygax's magnum opus. Frank Mentzer's contribution should not be discounted also. One of the top modules that TSR ever put out, no doubt.

I've seen posters on this thread bitch about how the game is "90% combat", well, if you had played the pen & paper version of this module, you would most likely be getting your ass handed to you. Plus, playing the tabletop version really gives you "life experience" in this black hellhole that is the Temple.

There will never be another cRPG D&D title to come along like ToEE, I am convinced of it. I think that WotC is too retardo now.

I especially loved its help system.

What I did not like at all was how gredy the party members were when they were allowed to loot (vanilla TOEE, only with that German-language Mod installed).
Only much later4 I learned ( through this forum, I think) that there exists a Mod to make the other party members behave more non-greedy, so to say.

In general, I loved TOEE. Never played it into the end, though, as well.

This or last year I read they had been done dome sort of TOE within DDO ?

Back
Top Bottom