Divinity: Original Sin II - The New Stats System

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Divinity Original Sin 2 has been updated with a new stats system. Go to the latest kickstarter update for further details. Get the full patch notes here.

As Swen discussed in the video, this patch has seen some major changes to how attribute points work. We wanted a system where you felt every point that you put into an attribute like strength, intelligence, or wits, so we tore down what was there before, tried a bunch of different prototypes, and rebuilt the whole thing from scratch. Now your attributes will be a much stronger influence on how you build your character, and how you play the game.

Every time you put a point into an attribute, we want you to be able to able to feel your character getting stronger/tougher/faster/smarter, so we've tied the attributes more closely to the gameplay. You'll have to consider how your stats will affect the damage you do, how well you dodge, what armour bonuses you'll get, how much vitality you have, how it'll affect your memory slots, and how you'll perform in combat.

Your primary attributes now form the foundation upon which your character will grow and develop throughout the game, rather than something you spend 2 minutes on and then forget about. We think the system is a big improvement on what was there before and we can't wait to hear what you think in our forums.

Of course that's just the start of what we've been doing! We've also refined the arena lobbies to streamline your experience, we've improved combat visuals, we've balanced the fights better, we're changed weapons, changed talents, changed combat abilities, and so, so much more.

If you'd like to see the complete list of all 150-something improvements, additions and fixes, just click here.
More information.

From the patch notes:

- Strength now provides 5% damage bonus and 2% Physical Armour bonus per point
- Finesse now provides 5% damage bonus and 1% Dodging per point
- Intelligence now provides 5% damage bonus and 2% Magic Armour bonus per point

Is this "5% damage" generic across all forms of damage, or are the patch notes leaving out an assumed "melee damage / ranged damage / magic damage"? As written this reminds me of the much-disliked Might stat in removing distinction between magic and physical attacks.

From the patch notes:

Is this "5% damage" generic across all forms of damage, or are the patch notes leaving out an assumed "melee damage / ranged damage / magic damage"? As written this reminds me of the much-disliked Might stat in removing distinction between magic and physical attacks.

Weapons and skills are influenced by an attribute. It's not as clear cut as melee/ranged/magic damage.

For example, Finesse affect bows and daggers damage. I also believe it is the governing attribute for the huntsman and scoundrel skill lines.

And the 5% is to general damage in addition to the effects on specific skills, or the 5% is the effect on those specific skills?

And the 5% is to general damage in addition to the effects on specific skills, or the 5% is the effect on those specific skills?

The effect, if applicable.

Although, thinking about it, D:OS 2 might not have governing attributes for skill lines anymore and only use the skill value to scale the effects so the stats increase would only affect weapons now.

Like what they said about really good items being rare and hand placed!

Like what they said about really good items being rare and hand placed!

Nice!! Very good thing there that goes such a long way, IMO.

I'm just happy they have a lot of stats and complex interactions as well. I won't overanalyze I'll just enjoy another modern-yet-traditional PC RPG in co-op! ��

I hope this second iteration of the game will have a more serious tone ahem.. I have nearly no doubt they'll nail down the mechanics

I don't know, I thought the tone of the first game was good. It wasn't too over the top and silly, IMO.

I hope this second iteration of the game will have a more serious tone ahem.. I have nearly no doubt they'll nail down the mechanics
They said from the beginning that D:OS2 will indeed have a more serious tone.
I hope they stay true to that as the prequel was indeed quite silly here and there.

I hope they stay true to that as the prequel was indeed quite silly here and there.

I am glad to hear that. The writing was the one thing that didn't click for me in the last one. It often felt like something aimed at a young audience - kind of like those bad sitcoms that preteens and young teens watch.

To me it was more the writing that was lacking, the tone was actually pretty refreshing among the damn "dark and gritty". I'll take some colour any day.

Their wording in the KS campaign description by the way was:
A more grounded and serious narrative will ensure that you’ll feel invested in the world, but rest assured that we won't forget to make you smile.

Thanks Morrandir, I like the sound of that.

I didn't like the stats system in D:OS1 because the item use restrictions almost force you to specialize on a single stat, pouring all your points in Str or Dex for example. But I'm not sure they are going to address that.

Back
Top Bottom