Diablo 3 - Miscellaneous Roundup

Amazon reviewers are bashing it pretty hard as well, no surprise.
The above review is great laugh.

More details on character customization please. Is it as pointless as I've been reading or was that blown out of proportion?

It's different. More like Guild Wars in the way you build up a list of skills and then select a sub section (and modifiers). At the start it seems very hand-holdy with a limited number of skills and preset categorisation of skills, but ticking the option to enable elective mode in the menu allows more user-involvement.

More details on character customization please. Is it as pointless as I've been reading or was that blown out of proportion?

I dont know how big fan of hack&slash you are. But if you are you probably know that most of big games have one particular problem : you have lot of skills , but most of them seem to do mostly the same thing. (Like one is swinging both weapons for Xdamage , and second one makes extra strong weapon attack for Xdamage)

Torchlight (yes 2 aswell) is notorious for this, but Titan Quest aswell.

What Diablo 3 does is giving you number of skills that every one of them is unique in its utility , and than gives you 10 runes that change the skill further in utility - changing gameplay use for each skill.

So its not just DMG1 , DMG2

And it lets you combine and mix the load-out depending on situation.

Basically it blows the old system out of water

You exaggerate. This is not question of system 1 vs system 2 - making skills very distinctive is very important thing, but has nothing to do with their graphical representation on the screen (tree, tiers, whatever). Also, instant ability to rehash them has nothing to do with them being distinctive or in a tree.

This is the part I hate about this "system" - it means that every single one barbarian is exactly same as the next one, difference being only in how much time was spent playing him, in a a way they are played and how much did they win in loot-lottery.

Also, don't forget that in Diablo 3's case, all character customization is effectively killed after level 40.

You exaggerate. This is not question of system 1 vs system 2 - making skills very distinctive is very important thing, but has nothing to do with their graphical representation on the screen (tree, tiers, whatever). Also, instant ability to rehash them has nothing to do with them being distinctive or in a tree.

This is the part I hate about this "system" - it means that every single one barbarian is exactly same as the next one, difference being only in how much time was spent playing him, in a a way they are played and how much did they win in loot-lottery.

Also, don't forget that in Diablo 3's case, all character customization is effectively killed after level 40.

Every character being the same is the problem.
But was it not problem with Guild Wars 1 and 2 aswell ? Yet nobody in their right mind would not call these games bad.

As character customisation after lvl 40 comment goes , can you explain ?

… it does suggest that inconvenient online requirements can have a significant negative impact your sales. Not sure it will matter for Diablo III though; still would really suck to have bought this game if your deployed in the military.
The issue isn't whether or not Blizzard will make money on D3. Obviously they will make money. The issue is what their online-only DRM is doing to their (previously) stellar reputation as a company that made as-near-flawless-as-humanly-possible games.

I remember picking up the first Diablo and playing it for weeks. There was a patch, but I never did see anything that was broken. My best friend and I were working afternoon shifts and we set our alarms for 8am to get up and play for six hours before work.

Their DRM scheme for D3 was a shit move on their part and I hope it costs them dearly.

Isn't Diabo 3 basically meant to be played online, anyway? Who in their right mind wants to play it single-player?

Oh come on: any fan of singleplayer in Diablo 1, Diablo 2 wants to play Diablo 3 singleplayer, in his right mind.

Isn't Diabo 3 basically meant to be played online, anyway? Who in their right mind wants to play it single-player?

I want to play it singleplayer and MP from time to time when I can put up with idiots. Same as D2.

Oh come on: any fan of singleplayer in Diablo 1, Diablo 2 wants to play Diablo 3 singleplayer, in his right mind.

I can seriously see this as only and major flaw of D3 ( coupled with RMAH to lesser extent )
And everyone knows that the real reason is to kill piracy.
Its Always on DRM, plain and simple.

People should deal with it.
Accept it or not.

Isn't Diabo 3 basically meant to be played online, anyway?

If it's a Diablo game then no, it isn't.c Diablo 1 and 2 was pretty shitty played online, most people either played it on single player or muliplayer via LAN. Diablo 3 seems to focus on online play which was never what Diablo was about. If you want an online game you play WOW, if you want a single player game you play Diablo. Just one of the reasons Diablo 3 is pretty shitty.

Well, for 60 euros, I expect to be treated better - not to be in struggle with Blizzards methods of money-loss-prevention. But damn, I would like to play it :)

As for your previous question - after level 40, the game gives you bonus to magic-find chance if you don't change yours skills.
Since items are the only character-building resource in this game, this is very strong motivation to settle with a single set/gamestyle.

Which goes someway to killing replayability as well. I'm with you, I really don't like this system.

click click .... click click ... click ...... clickety click ... click
grind grind grind
click click .... click click ... click ...... clickety click ... click

I recall doing a ridiculous grind on Diablo 1 or 2 (2 I think) until I finally got frostbite gauntlets for my Amazon archer. I actually got RSI on the old mouse finger.

Then I got half way through DS1 and DS2 before thinking "WTF am I doing?".

To think I could have been grinding the monkey instead for the trouble it was worth.

Some of those reviews are really good…for a laugh

True, internet rage is always funny... and sad. I like these ones:

"Blizzard apparently had no idea how many people would REALLY want to play this game AFTER WAITING FOR 12 YEARS! The North Koreans had better launches last month than this. Way to go Blizzard."
"If your a true Diablo series fan you'll know its a gothic themed game and it'll break your heart to find out that the act 1 boss is damn fairy queen that looks like the disney villain maleficent"
"stupid game,GO TO HELL!. oh wait, it's already in hell. All about it is disappointing. I've been a Diablo fan for a long time but then you give me this.. What the hell Blizzard? This all errors things and your stupid DRM giving me a headache. Why no in steam? money whoring company"

Found them on this site http://kotaku.com/5910683/the-best-of-the-worst-diablo-iii-anger

Been playing it for hours, great game so far. Ive played torchlight, sacred, etc - Diablo has that unique formula that makes action-rpg fun. Maybe it's nostalgia, whatever, but I'm feeling the Diablo addiction rearing it's horned head once again..

Is it better than Torchlight?

Daniel.

What I fear about this always online aspect of Diablo 3 is the potential wave it can create. There’s a general consensus between the publishers that PC only games can’t sell well because of the piracy level. This model can be copied by other companies in the future. Diablo 3’s first day sales already justifies this. So we will see more always-online games in the future.

I decided not the buy the game since they had announced always online feature and not going to buy the game until they remove it, but I’m only a drop in an ocean. Many players who pirated their other games, already bought the game. They’re going to strengthen the notion I mentioned above.

My support is for Torchlight 2 and I’m going to buy two copies of the game to reward their anti-online policy. I hope they will release it on gog.com.

Back
Top Bottom