General News - Classic RPGs to play in 2021 @ Fextralife

Why the hell does every genre of RPG's have an identity problem nowadays? It doesn't help when almost every goddamed game has incorporated RPG elements nowadays.

RPG elements add another layer of progress and development. I do understand why its popular to have it, in some form, in games from other genres. Unfortunately, some devalvation of the term RPG has to be expected, Im afraid.

I dont think its a big problem though, as even here on the Watch, where most members are cRPG enthusiast, its not really possible to fully agree what is and what is not RPG.

See as U3 was the first RPG game i played back in 1984, what is a "Classic" to me.

Any game i would play more than once.

So a few of those on the list i have played more than twice..."Classic"

I am knee deep in Pillars Two right now and already dreaming of a play through with the changes i would make to my party off the start.

My first real game that I played, that I considered difficult, fun, yet a real computer game, was the first Wizardry. That one I played while at university, checking it out through the campus library at the time. The first one that I actually bought and owned was Ultima three, I must have played that sucker through about four times before I tired of it. You'd be amazed at the sheer amount of content these games offer, yet they're quicker to play now without switching disks and such! =p

Probably would have been better to call them traditional instead to avoid confusion. ^^

Interestingly in German it would be very clear. "klassische RPGs" would be exaclty that: traditional. "RPG-Klassiker" would have been old games. :)

Or if the acronym must remain the same, at least classical instead of classic, to convey the notion of being traditional in style. Longer to write though, people are lazy, it wouldn't stick ;)

Or if the acronym must remain the same, at least classical instead of classic, to convey the notion of being traditional in style. Longer to write though, people are lazy, it wouldn't stick ;)

So you think

classicist role playing games

wouldn't catch on either?

Changing crpg from computer to classic is a move by console game makers. They're selling the term to journalists to try and take owning a computer out of the mindset of playing a computer role playing game. I don't support this move and ignore anything labeled classic :D

Proud and founding member of the PC Master Race. PCMR lives matter.

Back
Top Bottom