Witcher 3 - More Witcher Games in the Future @ Gamezone

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CD Project Red will create more Witcher games:

[...]

According to CDPR's founder Marcin Iwinski, after crafting swords for 12 years, the team is a bit "burnt out." Regardless of whether or not CDPR wants to pursue new horizons, Wild Hunt is a critically acclaimed addition to the Witcher series making it something hard to let go.

After winning the Game of the Year award for Wild Hunt during last night's Game Awards event CDPR CEO Adam Kicinski was invited to speak with Polish TV station TVN24 BiS (via GamePressure). During the interview Kicinski was asked on whether or not there would be another installation in the series following Wild Hunt.

Kicinski's response could bring hope to fans, but the reality is we wouldn't be seeing a Witcher game any time soon.

It's too early to talk about it, but it's not like we're forgetting about this brand – that's understandable. (...) It wouldn't be fair towards the fans. We work within this universe for over a dozen years now and I don't think it's going to be the end of it.
[...]
More information.

I'd be fine with a new Witcher series in 10 years or something. :)

Rise of the Witcher Order: Geralt as the only remaining Witcher revives the Witcher schools with the help of Ciri who after 20 years of reigning in Nilfgaard is fed up with politics.
You play as one of the new Witcher aspirants with full character customization.

I'd be fine with a new Witcher series in 10 years or something. :)
You play as one of the new Witcher aspirants with full character customization.

Let's cut that down to 2-3 years...maybe 2... 1.5...OK I would play it tomorrow. :)

And yes, CDPR should do something like you mentioned.
Personally I would like a party-based(up to four members), tactical, isometric Witcher game.

Let's cut that down to 2-3 years…maybe 2… 1.5…OK I would play it tomorrow. :)
Oh well, I'd liked to play it yesterday. ;)
But given that CP77 comes out in ~2 years and one or two sequels some years later, I fear that's the time span we're talking about.

Stole your girls too?
Man... What's wrong with you guys? :p

And yes, CDPR should do something like you mentioned.
Personally I would like a party-based(up to four members), tactical, isometric Witcher game.

I never considered it but like the sound of it, maybe something along the lines of a Dragon Age Orgins (stressing Origins) like game could work and could be great in the Witcher universe. They have more than enough to work with and, I think, it's not hard to see what's a good formula for an isometric game or even an all out "CRPG".

They wouldn't even have to be too ambitious at first, making expansions to meet demand and if it goes well invest more heavily in a sequel. I also don't know of anything to suggest there will be to many of them in the future and recent Kickstarters would suggest there's still demand.

I virtually always have negative feelings about someone using a franchise name to make something completely different, as in milking a name fans have come to love and have set expectations of. Though if they made it clear it's not a "Geralt The Witcher" game and are clear on exactly what it is, it may even get new people interested and exposed to the game type without leaving The Witcher fans feeling disappointed or duped etc.

Though that might still fall under the "after crafting swords for 12 years" theme which they've burnt out on.

Hmm... no new Witcher and no new Elder Scrolls for years to come then. Seems like a good opportunity for other studios to get their foot into the fantasy open world RPG realm :) .

Is there really no Elder Scrolls game in the works? I'd assume that not having an entry in the series playable on the new generation consoles is something Bethesda would want to fix as soon as possible...

Well, Hines said at Gamescom that it will be a "very long time". If a PR guy says "very long" then that almost means "never again" ;) . They seem to be fully focused on ESO with regard to TES. Maybe they don't want to cannibalize their own franchise?

I don't know… look at Blizzard. Warcraft IV would instantly sell bajillions but they haven't done any Warcraft since WoW. Publisher logic at work there…

And then there's the engine issue. Bethesda surely knows that FO4 (and expansions) is the end of the line for GameBryo/Creation.
Building a new engine or modifying an existing engine to the point you have the same flexibility with regard to mods and a certain future-proofness on top of it is certainly a mammoth undertaking (engine + game = easily five, six years of development).

So that's where they run into another problem which is the current console cycle. You don't want to come out too late when the current consoles are already phasing out but also not too early into the next console cycle when the install base is still very low.

Timing is key and I believe that Bethesda is facing a huge challenge here due to the fact they have a very long development cycle for a new engine plus the game ahead of them. Playing it safe, they will probably lay the groundwork for their new engine while working on FO4 expansions and then switch to full scale development of a new TES (or maybe even FO) once it becomes clearer how much longer current gen consoles are going to last.

Solution: Forget about development for consoles and focus on PC, where you don't have to worry about hardware generations. ;)

Well, Hines said at Gamescom that it will be a "very long time". If a PR guy says "very long" then that almost means "never again" ;) . They seem to be fully focused on ESO with regard to TES. Maybe they don't want to cannibalize their own franchise?
He just said it would be a "very long time" before they are ready to talk about it. I don't think that means they are delaying production on it any more than anyone would normally expect (ie: finish Fallout 4 DLC then start full production on next Elder Scrolls).

Back
Top Bottom