Iceland wins

Definitely rooting for the underdog. I'd like to see Croatia win the cup. I'm tired of hearing about England's hooligan fans, and France already has a modern World Cup.

Yeah, we've had a big problem with that. It's a lot better than it used to be, but you know it's still lurking.

I hate it when people ignore the nature of what makes sport worthwhile, and just turn it into a vehicle for their tribalism and pettiness. Intimidate the opposition, win by any means necessary. Disgusting.

Stalling the game and keeping the (minimum) score is pretty much normal when one is against a dangerous team and scored first. It's irritating but not wrong, at least until some rule prevents it from happening. From France such play was pretty much expected, they're here obviously to win the tournament and not for the show for audience. ;)
If Belgium scored first and if the judge whistled on knee-to-knee in front of France's 16m (and he should have), who knows what would happen. Ah well, could, should, would… The match is over and Belgium will still fight for the bronze which is not a small achievement.

On the other hand, tonight's pair never barricade the field like that. So far, regardless of goals on any side, they open and push trying to pwn not their own half but the opponent's, from any side. In previous matches you could see both of them trying to crack open the walls of defensively oriented teams, sometimes with success, sometimes not, doesn't matter as they proved such type of a game can lead a team at least to semifinals. Here's hope neither side will change their style and we'll enjoy some a(ttra)ction.

Yeah agreed. There's nothing more embarrassing than footage of England fans going on a drunken rampage. Having said that, I haven't had the impression hooligans have been such a problem this time? It sounds like it's been fairly good natured from the reports I've read.

With big brother watching all the time it's pretty easy to catch hooligans these days. You don't want to be sent to Siberia do you :)

Congrats, Croatia. Better team won on the night.

Yeah sad to be out, but Croatia were better. I'll be cheering them on at the weekend.

Awesome, now I just need a square flag. Noone will notice if I tilt it when the finale is done.

England is going home. A country of 4 million people at the final of the World Cup. Well done Croatia .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnngh...the head. Luckily I've got my own hangover cure fully ready, always pays to plan three steps ahead.
Now I have to deal with girlfriend's nagging all day, no remedy for that.

Ditch her.
I was dead drunk last night and won't accept anyone addressing me about anything serious today. It'll be postpone or else.

About the game, it was exactly as Modrić already said after the win vs Denmark "we can't without drama". I mean entering the match, knowing England is superdangerous from gamebreaks then making a fault close to the goal, who does stuff like that?
But then again, the drama is something this young England isn't accustomed at, you saw what happened in the second half and then in extra time. How many times England tried to score the second goal? Pulling out the best and fastest player before 90' without assured final? Dunno why, can't know why, but that was too much of risk that didn't pay out.
But okay, for a team this new, England's play is amazing. All they need is a bit more experience - it wouldn't surprise me "it comes home" in the next world cup.

The judge was IMO the worst one at the whole tournament, wasn't rooting for any side though but was just making bad decisions towards both teams.

Whatever, I'm again writing too much of rubbish. Might be worth to whomever is still into betting.
I'm sure the match for the third place will be exciting, but at the same time I fear France will again turn the game into an irritating boredom in finals.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the England team. They're young and not fully baked yet, and they'd have been lucky to win the cup. I'm much happier with a young team giving it their best shot and not quite making it, than a squad with superstars that can never seem to get it together, which is what we've often had in the past.

Agreed, the English squad needs very little work for future victories, although they are out the team is well situated for upcoming tournaments. We'll just have to hope for very little team turnover in the meantime.

I've not been able to watch as many matches as I'd have liked, but last night England - Croatia was awesome to watch. Both teams gave their best. Unfortunate to see England's dream collapsing so close to the final as they finally had a real team deserving success, but Croatia really was the better team during the second half and onwards. A victory well deserved. I'll be rooting for them against France. :)

Croatia!

It falls to them to sort out the French now. :p

That would really be amazing if Croatia can pull it off. They better not let France score first is all I'm saying, if that happens it's going to be a total game of keep-a-way after that point.

Well? Don't tell me I'm the only one here who is amazed with this early goal?
Told you this one should be exciting.

EDIT:
Bleh, you all suck.

Just so you know, Belgium after the goal did not turn into a bunker and there were chances on both sides, unprecision from England prevented draw while Stones is one amazing defender who prevented more Belgium surehits.
I'm off to watch the second half hoping for even more thrills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom