Lords of Xulima - Review @ Wizard Worm

LoX came joint 18th in our RPGWatch Official Game of the Decade poll, which isn't too shabby if you ask me. Tied with games like Shadowrun Dragonfall and Dark Souls.

Fully deserved IMO, as it's a unique product and entertaining to-boot. Quite possibly the only isometric blobber ever made? Surprised no-ones copied that format as it proved very effective.

I'm hoping that whatever the team that made Xulima is currently working on, that at some point they'll revisit this glorious world and give us a sequel. If that takes the form of a kick starter campaign, I shall be there to contribute!

Played for 214h, which is long and part of the problem, because some rather bad mechanics was taininting the otherwise nicely made game. Especially graphics and the whole look of the game were great. But the character progression with skills which favoured dull gameplay (wait till you collect all herbs until you fully developed a character, collect berries instead of buying food, grind all enemies of a zone to max out XP...) and some of the worst writing I have seen in a game left a serious dent.
I still kinda like the game and I would definitely play a successor though, but I think it struggled quite a bit and wasn't super successful unlike they are billions which was a huge hit everyone and their dog played at some time.
So economically it probably makes no sense for the developer to go back to Xulima and rather build on the success of ther strategy game. Its a shame, but understandable.

I still kinda like the game and I would definitely play a successor though, but I think it struggled quite a bit and wasn't super successful unlike they are billions which was a huge hit everyone and their dog played at some time.
So economically it probably makes no sense for the developer to go back to Xulima and rather build on the success of ther strategy game. Its a shame, but understandable.

Did They Are Billions really do that well? I didn't think it was very good tbh.

Did They Are Billions really do that well? I didn't think it was very good tbh.

Yep, definitely. Went up to the top selling games for a time:
https://technology.inquirer.net/707...billions-mingles-years-bestsellers-pubg-gta-v

Steam*
1. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. They Are Billions
4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
*Steam chart based on revenue rather than units.

I never played it myself. But had a few people telling me how awesome the game was.

The devs used to actively talk about LoX 2 a lot. There's even a stickied Steam thread titled 'Lords of Xulima II feedback', but their participation trailed off after the release of They Are Billions. They've hardly mentioned it since 2017-18, and I have a feeling it might be dead in the water at this point.

They did mention it in a steam comment about part 2....that it was a bit farther out now but it was last year.

There isnt a whole lot going on in general, which could be a bit worrying.
Their facebook page didnt receive any post for 2 years, twitter is at 1 year.
Latest news on their page is also 1 year old.
Their team account also has been inactive for 1 year.

So it wouldnt surprise me if the company is actually defunct.

Absolutely King great game!! This is Fire! :D Very addictive with that weed collecting mechanics. :) I found the dino monsters, how they bite-attack most adorable. Truly amazing, hi-res graphics. Story was very satisfying and well worked out as well. I want Lords of Xulima 2!

The devs used to actively talk about LoX 2 a lot. There's even a stickied Steam thread titled 'Lords of Xulima II feedback', but their participation trailed off after the release of They Are Billions. They've hardly mentioned it since 2017-18, and I have a feeling it might be dead in the water at this point.

No wonder they don't want to develop another truly amazing game, when Xulima got Very Positive (901 reviews) and their weird game thing "They Are Billions" whatever, I'll never ever play, got Very Positive (31,123 reviews). After cashing in from that who in their right mind would wanna work for years to create another great turn-based RPG only for some measly coins?? :-(((

Back
Top Bottom