The TV Series discussion thread

I completed my viewing of the Muhammad Ali series, it was really good, then again Burns doesn't ever disappoint. I highly recommend this one, should the decades involved or the sport of boxing be of any interest.

Road to Season 2 Trailer | The Witcher

Oh, god. Is it me or does Vesemir look awful? Holy shit.
I never got around to watching season 1. I think I only started watching ep 1, and shut it off. I liked the books and the games, but this series somehow feels very cheap in production. The CGI is pretty bad imo. And some of the costumes are laughable. Some look like tinfoil, and others like cardboard. Is it only me?

Anyway, I'm afraid I won't be able to trust the creative direction, and watch it. Maybe I need to give it some time for the bad impression to wear off.

I'd say you're definitely in the minority.

I also had major doubts about the show before I actually watched it. I had to later admit that I was wrong about it.

Hm, I'll try to be less prejudiced about it and give it a proper shot. But for some reason it really looks like those low-budget fantasy movies. It doesn't seem at all on the caliber of Game of Thrones.

There might also be an issue of different look and design to the world than what I've either imagined while reading the books, or seen while playing the games. So there might be some dissonance there.

It doesn't seem at all on the caliber of Game of Thrones.

It's not, but GoT is also considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, fantasy series of all time.

The Witcher has a different vibe anyways, so I don't think it's a very apt comparison. It doesn't take itself as seriously as GoT. I'm surprised to discover you haven't watched it yet. I remember you posting a cover of 'Toss a Coin to your Witcher' in the Currently Listening thread.

I think you'll like it if you give a chance. Just try to accept that some of the characters won't be like the images you have from other media.

It's not, but GoT is also considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, fantasy series of all time.

The Witcher has a different vibe anyways, so I don't think it's a very apt comparison. It doesn't take itself as seriously as GoT. I'm surprised to discover you haven't watched it yet. I remember you posting a cover of 'Toss a Coin to your Witcher' in the Currently Listening thread.

I think you'll like it if you give a chance. Just try to accept that some of the characters won't be like the images you have from other media.

Yeah, I haven't seen it. I just found that cover and found it so fun. The song it self, from the show, is something I found about even though I've not seen it. The internet really went haywire over it. But I heard the original version and it's got nothing on the metal version, by Dan Vasc. :D

Has anyone checked out Foundation yet? I see the first 2 episodes have been released. Reviews are mixed so far.

I hear they're plenty of stuff to the show that wasn't in the books, just to show and awe. This was expected. It's gonna be pretty hard to adapt these. Tv shows need characters that the audience becomes attached to, and the thing about The Foundation is that it's more about the concept of the course of a galactic empire, than any one character. I've read the first trilogy a long time ago and can't remember any of the characters, except for one of the villans. Even the main dude, that pops up across the whole history of the empire, only pops up at certain time intervals, as a hologram. So, they're gonna need to make some serious plot changes in order to have a constant cast across the thousands of years that the story takes place over.

About the reviews themselves, it's a pretty constant of "does some thing nicely, is impressive visually, but ultimately feels very generic and recycled", from what I've seen. Also, will not really satisfy fans of Asimov's work. Around 6/10s is what I'm hearing. The thing is, there's so much good stuff to watch that these sorts of middling shows really suffer.

Has anyone checked out Foundation yet? I see the first 2 episodes have been released. Reviews are mixed so far.
I've watched the two first episodes yesterday. It's been too long since I've read the first books to remember much about the actual plot, but as we should have expected, it looks like the story has been heavily transformed to adapt a story that spreads over centuries to a TV series. The roles of the characters has been modified, the relationships between the characters are different, the plot is not exactly the same (though the main idea is).

So if you're a purist who doesn't like modifications to a book story, you won't like it.

If you take that as a completely new story, it should be a fair sci-fi series.

I find that the start is rushed, too many things happening in the first episode. Even by the series' timeframe, it seems exaggerated.

Physics just doesn't follow. Concepts like gravity, rotation of planets, structural engineering are out of the window. It's a magic/fantasy world with a sci-fi look. For a book written by a PhD in science, I find it a bit sad.

Perhaps it's early to tell, but it looks like some characters have a lot on their shoulders too. Gaal seems to handle almost everything from the end of the first episode and during the second one.

So I expect it to be fine thanks to the original idea, but not credible from many points of view. I have the impression they could have done much better, but they were afraid it would bore some people.

Can i discuss anime in this thread?

If it's a TV series, I don't see why not. Or you could start a new thread, for that specific genre.

I'll think about it. I want to do a proper job of it if ii do make such an thread.
I mean that it's just easier for fans to look for what they like, regular series or anime, but nobody will even raise an eyebrow if you start here :)

No need to overthink it, if you start a thread, I'm sure it'll catch on its own.

I'd take Xena over other fantasy shows any day.
Erm… Wait…

Apropos anime, and that tapatalk link what's that…
Yes we have a thread that has no new inputs for a year already:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29745&page=18.

Some would think it's dead and burried, nothing worth seeing there, but I can't agree.
Most of recent anime wasn't very interesting unless you're into mainstream rubbish.
Old titles that were interesting went into dragging and fillers in new seasons - for example I've completely dropped Black Clover, no patience for drag-o-ramas. ;)

But there are so many older known and unknown anime worth checking, some I dare to call mustwatch before you die.
So it's kinda odd the thread was not receiving any posts for so many months.

Where would the Cartoon TV series "invincible" fit in. In this thread or the Anime thread?

Because it is a must watch.

Invincible is not anime.
It is superhero comics adaptation and is not a must watch. :)
The comic however is a must read. The publisher is Image, it doesn't belong to the stupefying duopol Marvel/DC. :D

So write in this thread, no reason not to.
It would be nice to know if they changed the story for onscreen adaptation or respected the original material.

The changed the story here and there and did the whole diversity thing that is the rage these days.

I looked through the top 10 changes in the tv series vs the comic and they arent a big deal to me.

The tone maybe a little darker in the tv series. Extra death and violence.

I really dont want to spoil too much because the first episode is a great experience even if it is very dark.

Back
Top Bottom